Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Must men remove toupees and women their wigs to pass through security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Are women's wigs and men's toupees subject to being demanded by TSA'S to be removed in public? Just asking.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by AINITFUNNY
Are women's wigs and men's toupees subject to being demanded by TSA'S to be removed in public? Just asking.
If they do? This is yet another hair raising TSA story
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:22 am

You can always ask for a private screening, so nothing is demanded to occur "in public". That being said, I don't recall hearing any stories about wigs.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:54 am

Absolutely there have been stories on the internet of women having to remove their sheitel. I linked here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-point-4.html

One more such story here from an alopecia support site
that a woman in front of me (that was also on the same flight) that was wearing a wig. unfortunately, it was quite noticeable that it was a wig, as it did not sit very well on her head. :S so they asked her to remove it. my family was awestruck at this situation. we do understand that safety is a priority in airports and flights, but some believe that hair loss is a delicate subject. i wish they would have done this in private rather than in front of the whole line of security.
http://www.alopeciaworld.com/forum/t...age=2#comments

Last edited by exbayern; Mar 19, 2011 at 9:00 am
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Eventually someone will wig out on them.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by exbayern
Absolutely there have been stories on the internet of women having to remove their sheitel. I linked here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t-point-4.html

One more such story here from an alopecia support site
http://www.alopeciaworld.com/forum/t...age=2#comments
This is just unbelievable.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Artful concealment of some skin on the head, and the foolish TSA obsessed with some head covers is none the wiser.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Think of all the explosives a terrorist could hide in a beehive hairdo. Of course TSA should be ever vigilant against this abuse by the USA public.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
That's neither hair nor there

Now in all seriousness......

What about a married orthodox Jewish woman who is required to keep her head covered? (which can be either with a kerchief or a wig and that is worn for religious reasons)
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
What about a married orthodox Jewish woman who is required to keep her head covered? (which can be either with a kerchief or a wig and that is worn for religious reasons)
pssst - that was my sheitel comment above
http://www.imamother.com/forum/viewt...=asc&&start=20

It may be an issue for various 'plain' churches too. http://quakerjane.com/spirit.friends...skIbbie.html#3
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by exbayern
pssst - that was my sheitel comment above
http://www.imamother.com/forum/viewt...=asc&&start=20

It may be an issue for various 'plain' churches too. http://quakerjane.com/spirit.friends...skIbbie.html#3
Oops, my bad. Minor penalty-2 minutes for being old, bald and blind
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
That's neither hair nor there

My wife is orthodox but uses a cap rather than a wig. Last year in Madrid, the Spanish-TSA types asked her to remove her cap and she explained she wears it for religious reasons. The Spanish-TSA type shook her head up and down and said OK and let her through without having to remove her cap.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by hnussbacher
My wife is orthodox but uses a cap rather than a wig. Last year in Madrid, the Spanish-TSA types asked her to remove her cap and she explained she wears it for religious reasons. The Spanish-TSA type shook her head up and down and said OK and let her through without having to remove her cap.
Wait? Do mean to say that the Spanish TSO equivalent physically put their hands on your wife's head and physically shook her head? Not only is that nuts but it's dangerous.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Wait? Do mean to say that the Spanish TSO equivalent physically put their hands on your wife's head and physically shook her head? Not only is that nuts but it's dangerous.
No. The Spanish TSO acknowledged the issue by shaking her own head up and down ("ahhhh yes") - not my wife's.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:30 pm

Out of an abundance of caution, it would probably be a good idea for travelers to shave and get a good wax before proceeding to the checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.