Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

DSH: We Have the Authority to Routinely Strip-Search Air Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I believe this needs its own thread:

http://epic.org/2011/03/dhs-we-have-...rity-to-r.html

The Department of Homeland Security told a federal court that the agency believes it has the legal authority to strip search every air traveler. The agency made the claim at oral argument in EPIC's lawsuit to suspend the airport body scanner program. The agency also stated that it believed a mandatory strip search rule could be instituted without any public comment or rulemaking.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by doober

Yep,

When I read that it sent a real shock wave through me. I'm wondering what words they used. Did they wrap it up in pretty linen? I also wondered what the judges were thinking when they heard this. It's unfathomable to me that the TSA would be so brazen. They must really believe that there are no limits applicable to them. I guess I'm rambling now. I'm so puzzled.

I even wondered for a bit if the EPIC folks were exaggerating, but they never have done so before. They're really straight arrow, so I don't think they were.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
why not

If you believe they have the authority to make you remove your shoes, grope your genitalia and observe images of your naked body, why not strip search? Why not cavity exploration?
They can justify any indignity for supposed 'safety.'

Welcome to the brave new world.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:55 pm

It's important to realize that this was said in the context of oral arguments in the EPIC lawsuit. If the questions asked were such as to elicit this admission, it's clear that at least one judge was arguing the EPIC side of the case.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Frightening ... these despots truly think that there are no limitations to their behavior.

It's a good sign that their stance is so far out to lunch. The recent 8-1 Supreme Court decision on a highly inflammatory 1st amendment issue suggest that they won't be sway by this crap.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I'm giving EPIC $100 this afternoon, and would invite others to join me. (Would kick in more if I had it available.)

In other words: JESUS ALMIGHTY. I can barely believe I'm reading this.

Last edited by divemistressofthedark; Mar 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
It's important to realize that this was said in the context of oral arguments in the EPIC lawsuit. If the questions asked were such as to elicit this admission, it's clear that at least one judge was arguing the EPIC side of the case.
would you agree that such an admission (that DHS could physically strip search everyone) was fairly harmful to their case? I would think so, unless EPIC were extreeeemly unfortunate in their judges.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by doober

I would like to read the transcripts of the argument. I would like to know if that was the actually terminology used or if it is the author of the article on the EPIC website adding what they believe and refer to the process the AIT machine does. Unfortunately the transcript is not available until after the entire legal proceeding is complete.

FB
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:32 pm

Exact words can be obtained

Originally Posted by ElizabethConley
Yep,

When I read that it sent a real shock wave through me. I'm wondering what words they used. Did they wrap it up in pretty linen? I also wondered what the judges were thinking when they heard this. It's unfathomable to me that the TSA would be so brazen. They must really believe that there are no limits applicable to them. I guess I'm rambling now. I'm so puzzled.

I even wondered for a bit if the EPIC folks were exaggerating, but they never have done so before. They're really straight arrow, so I don't think they were.
1. TSA already does actual partial strip searches.
2. TSA already does virtual entire strip searches.
3. TSA reaches inside your clothing, including down trousers and up skirts.

An actual strip search seems not so big a leap if one accepts the legality of this three elements.

(P.S., I'm not sure where this case is actually pending, because if it's at the court of appeals, one can get the full oral argument on line. I haven't been following the case that closely however).

Last edited by Cartoon Peril; Mar 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm Reason: additional observation added.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firebug4
I would like to read the transcripts of the argument. I would like to know if that was the actually terminology used or if it is the author of the article on the EPIC website adding what they believe and refer to the process the AIT machine does. Unfortunately the transcript is not available until after the entire legal proceeding is complete.

FB
I am going to make the presumption that it came somewhere during this exchange:

Tatel wondered aloud whether the government would have to seek public input if the TSA began literally strip searching fliers because a “terrorist gets through and blows up the airport.”

“No,” Brinkmann answered.

Congress, she added, required transportation officials to use the scanners or “effective technology” to protect the airlines, so no public input was necessary.

“You may well be right,” Tatel responded.

Moments later, Brinkmann added: “You can’t hamstring the agency.”
Link
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElizabethConley
It's unfathomable to me that the TSA would be so brazen. They must really believe that there are no limits applicable to them.
It smacks of Nixon's "Well, when the President does it, that means that it is not illegal."
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
would you agree that such an admission (that DHS could physically strip search everyone) was fairly harmful to their case? I would think so, unless EPIC were extreeeemly unfortunate in their judges.
With any kind of luck, we are seeing another "Francine moment" in the making.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:44 pm

Combining "We Have the Authority to Routinely Strip-Search Air Travelers" (DHS spokehole) with "I don't know why we check ID, I just do what I'm told" (TSO Breeden at Phil Mosek's trial) makes me want to puke. You'd think they'd take their heads out of their butts once in a while, just for a bit of fresh air.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IslandBased
Combining "We Have the Authority to Routinely Strip-Search Air Travelers" (DHS spokehole) with "I don't know why we check ID, I just do what I'm told" (TSO Breeden at Phil Mosek's trial) makes me want to puke.
And then combine with a belief that any form of transportation is within their authority...

I can imagine a TSA VIPR highway checkpoint with "random" strip searches in little booths at the side of the road.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:55 pm

Congress, she added, required transportation officials to use the scanners or “effective technology” to protect the airlines, so no public input was necessary.
Emphasis mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.