Wiki Posts
Search

Boxcutters taken on JFK airliner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
Boxcutters taken on JFK airliner

A passenger managed to waltz past JFK's ramped-up security gantlet with three boxcutters in his carry-on luggage

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/q...d0oS2HNvkypthP

And more fine work by TSA in HNL. They probably weren't finding enough good items to steal so they stopped looking.

http://www.kitv.com/r/27048822/detail.html
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:36 am

Programs: AC E (depressed former SE), Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I, for one, am shocked

I went about 2 weeks, across probably a half-dozen security checkpoints in the US, c. 2004 with a boxcutter in my jacket. Not a peep. I didn't even know I had it, as it had fallen through a hole in the breast pocket in my jacket, into the jacket's "insides".
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA's Spokeshole Nico Melendez says:

"We took immediate action and none of the personnel accused have been conducting screening duties since the allegations were made," Melendez said. “TSA is proud to hold our workforce to the highest ethical standards and will not tolerate a deviation from the commitment to carry out our mission to protect the traveling public.”
For some reason I just don't believe him!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by LiquidJ
I, for one, am shocked

I went about 2 weeks, across probably a half-dozen security checkpoints in the US, c. 2004 with a boxcutter in my jacket. Not a peep. I didn't even know I had it, as it had fallen through a hole in the breast pocket in my jacket, into the jacket's "insides".
Ah so! You admit it was cleverly concealed!
You bad bad citizen you! Off to the Gulag with you....erh... I meant 'gitmo'
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:41 am

So LiquidJ, you openly admit you are a terrorist then?

The stunning breach grounded the flight for three hours Saturday night and drew fury from Port Authority cops, who accused the Transportation Security Administration of being asleep on the job.
Do these people have no sense of shame? Whoever decided to ground the flight because a passenger had a perfectly ordinary razor knife should be either sterilized or put to death so he or she at least can no longer reproduce. We are a society of pansy scaredy-cats ready to shut down anything when someone says "boo!". Pathetic. I am so ashamed to be an American. The land of the chained and the cowardly. No doubt the passenger carrying the perfectly innocent items will be sent to a re-education camp in Cuba.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by gojirasan
So LiquidJ, you openly admit you are a terrorist then?
Sure, why not.

In the interests of getting everything off my chest, I may have also had eyedrops in my pocket during the period where we couldn't bring any liquids through security.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:35 am

I, for one, am shocked

LiquidJ, I´m a little confused that you did not notice the weight of the said boxcutter, but that is another story.

Your data provide an interesting opportunity for some (admittedly rather far-fetched) mathematical analysis. The TSA failure to detect rates on X-rays are 70% according to the only data we have available. If that is true, the chances of failing in 6 consecutive checkpoints are 0.7 to the 6, or ~12%. The chances of failure to detect 3 boxcutters would be 0.7 to the 3, or 34%. Since both these events happened, and are not highly probable even given the dismal failure rate of 70%, I think this indicates the failure rate is probably accurate (or maybe even underestimated).

Just for comparison, if the failure detection rate were a (still dismal) 50%, your chances of going through half a dozen airports undetected would be 1,5%, and the chances of 3 boxcutters going unseen would be 12.5%.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
LiquidJ, I´m a little confused that you did not notice the weight of the said boxcutter, but that is another story.
It was something like this one, so it weighed practically nothing. Sitting inside my jacket, next to my waist, it was impossible to feel while moving around.

Plus, the weight of the terrorist was many orders of magnitude larger
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop

Your data provide an interesting opportunity for some (admittedly rather far-fetched) mathematical analysis. The TSA failure to detect rates on X-rays are 70% according to the only data we have available. If that is true, the chances of failing in 6 consecutive checkpoints are 0.7 to the 6, or ~12%. The chances of failure to detect 3 boxcutters would be 0.7 to the 3, or 34%. Since both these events happened, and are not highly probable even given the dismal failure rate of 70%, I think this indicates the failure rate is probably accurate (or maybe even underestimated).

Just for comparison, if the failure detection rate were a (still dismal) 50%, your chances of going through half a dozen airports undetected would be 1,5%, and the chances of 3 boxcutters going unseen would be 12.5%.

I disagree. If an "illicit" object isn't detected the first time, the probability this particular item won't be detected the next time is far greater than the general probability of any unspecific "illicit" object being detected.

Some primates use more tools than others. I count myself among that group. It seems I've always got a leatherman rolling around on the bottom of my purse, a screwdriver in my jacket pocket and a pair of pliers in my briefcase. I blame my father; he passed on more than a few quirky genes

Any how, my toys are never confiscated, and I'm grateful for that. I'm also a bit absent minded. (again I blame Dad) I'd be surprised if some TSA goon pulled one of my tools out and confronted me with it, and sad to have to consign the tool to their "confiscation bin." I'm fond of my toys.

Much ado about nothing. Really, most tool using primates are harmless, affable types who just suffer from a compulsion to tinker. Terrorism couldn't be further from our minds.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by ElizabethConley
Much ado about nothing. Really, most tool using primates are harmless, affable types who just suffer from a compulsion to tinker. Terrorism couldn't be further from our minds.
You don't expect us to believe this line, do you? No actual terrorist is going to admit to being a terrorist. We must assume, therefore, that you are, indeed, an actual terrorist by your intent to bring artfully concealed prohibited items into the sterile area. Terrorist! Terrorist! I've wet my pants already...

Meanwhile, back to reality, if caught, just play the Deer-in-Headlights Card, apologize, offer to remove yourself and admit you should not be allowed to fly that day. Take your "dangerous and prohibited" items with you, back to where they live and go through a different checkpoint where you are just as likely, nea moreso, not to get caught.

Remember, TSA is infinitely proud of their consistent inconsistency. Use it to your advantage. I know I have.

Last edited by barbell; Mar 2, 2011 at 7:07 am Reason: Srsly. Even this early in the day an English major should not be making punctuation mistakes.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by ElizabethConley
I disagree. If an "illicit" object isn't detected the first time, the probability this particular item won't be detected the next time is far greater than the general probability of any unspecific "illicit" object being detected.

Some primates use more tools than others. I count myself among that group. It seems I've always got a leatherman rolling around on the bottom of my purse, a screwdriver in my jacket pocket and a pair of pliers in my briefcase. I blame my father; he passed on more than a few quirky genes

Any how, my toys are never confiscated, and I'm grateful for that. I'm also a bit absent minded. (again I blame Dad) I'd be surprised if some TSA goon pulled one of my tools out and confronted me with it, and sad to have to consign the tool to their "confiscation bin." I'm fond of my toys.

I actually think we agree: The failure rate is probably worse than the already ridiculously bad rate announced. I was just over simplifying the math in an attempt to demonstrate that these events cannot repeatedly occur unless the detection rates are very low.

And I understand your quirks and absent-mindedness. I also seem to have inherited these characteristics from my father...
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:07 am

Plus, the weight of the terrorist was many orders of magnitude larger
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The two TSA agents and supervisor who completely missed the blades at a security checkpoint "will all be disciplined and undergo remedial training," said spokeswoman Ann Davis.

I'm wondering just what it takes to be fired from TSA?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by barbell
You don't expect us to believe this line, do you? No actual terrorist is going to admit to being a terrorist. We must assume, therefore, that you are, indeed, an actual terrorist by your intent to bring artfully concealed prohibited items into the sterile area. Terrorist! Terrorist! I've wet my pants already...

Meanwhile, back to reality, if caught, just play the Deer-in-Headlights Card, apologize, offer to remove yourself and admit you should not be allowed to fly that day. Take your "dangerous and prohibited" items with you, back to where they live and go through a different checkpoint where you are just as likely, nea moreso, not to get caught.

Remember, TSA is infinitely proud of their consistent inconsistency. Use it to your advantage. I know I have.

Thanx for the tip. I hate to give up my toys because I'm also a congenital tightwad. (I blame Mom.)
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm wondering just what it takes to be fired from TSA?
Evidence suggests that making your boss look like more of an idiot than he really is may be required.

This means that it'd take a lot of effort, since TSA "management" types already look like fairly major idiots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.