Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Insisting on facing one's valuables during secondary screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

This really is an ever growing pet hate of mine: Security screeners who want me to turn around when their metal detectors are cranked up so high that they need to wand me. I always refuse, politely at first. It is important to me to keep an eye on the trays containing my wallet, laptop, etc on the belt - so I suggest that they should be so kind and move around me instead. Sensible screeners seem to understand and comply (and this in my experience is usually the case with the TSA). I have, however, ended up in some pretty heated arguments lately - in Germany and above all in CPH (where the screeners in general seem to have the worst attitudes of any airport in the world). Am I the only one who's bothered by this? Frankly, I don't think they should even ask people to turn away from their belongings unless they're willing to accept responsibility for them.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
This really is an ever growing pet hate of mine: Security screeners who want me to turn around when their metal detectors are cranked up so high that they need to wand me. I always refuse, politely at first. It is important to me to keep an eye on the trays containing my wallet, laptop, etc on the belt - so I suggest that they should be so kind and move around me instead. Sensible screeners seem to understand and comply (and this in my experience is usually the case with the TSA). I have, however, ended up in some pretty heated arguments lately - in Germany and above all in CPH (where the screeners in general seem to have the worst attitudes of any airport in the world). Am I the only one who's bothered by this? Frankly, I don't think they should even ask people to turn away from their belongings unless they're willing to accept responsibility for them.
Germany is the only place where they insist on x-raying my wallet, but at least they understand that this is sensitive, so it goes through separately, in its own special small red tray, with me being able to witness both its entrance to and exit from the machine.

Arguing with Germans is pointless. Unlike the TSA they will never, ever make up rules. They will, however, thoroughly familiarise themselves with all the rules and enforce them all with equal vigour, irrespective of how sensible they are.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by polonius
Germany is the only place where they insist on x-raying my wallet
I always put my wallet through the machine wherever I am - but Germany is the only place where they insist on X-raying my boarding pass!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:26 pm

Arguing with Germans is pointless. Unlike the TSA they will never, ever make up rules. They will, however, thoroughly familiarise themselves with all the rules and enforce them all with equal vigour, irrespective of how sensible they are.
I much prefer that over the TSA's randomness. I would also bet that the rules in place in Germany are, in fact, published somewhere and are not hidden behind the SSI screen.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Secondary? Heck at LAX T4 if you go through the strip-search machine you cannot possibly see your items emerge from the x-ray.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I always keep my wallet and BP in my pockets. My cell phone goes into my backpack, which is locked as it goes through the checkpoint.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Secondary? Heck at LAX T4 if you go through the strip-search machine you cannot possibly see your items emerge from the x-ray.
This is a situation in which one should opt out, put belongings in a pocket and let the screener find and x-ray them during the patdown...as opposed to the conventional wisdom of having a lock on carry-ons and leaving valuables there.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Same deal with the elite line at PIT. I mentioned this to a 3-striper a few weeks ago. He said, "yeah, we're thinking about putting up some mirrors or something." He did not seem to be too concerned. He said until the mirrors are up the TSA agents would always be willing to bring my stuff over to me.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Originally Posted by jackonferry
Same deal with the elite line at PIT. I mentioned this to a 3-striper a few weeks ago. He said, "yeah, we're thinking about putting up some mirrors or something." He did not seem to be too concerned. He said until the mirrors are up the TSA agents would always be willing to bring my stuff over to me.
Which still isn't a very good solution...the reflected visibility isn't going to be as clear as direct line of sight. Plus, if you see someone taking your things, you won't be able to identify them as easily, and will still have to turn around, and even then, since you were looking at a mirror image, chances are for some that you will look the wrong direction for the person stealing your stuff.
There is no good reason for us to be separated from our belongings by unnecessary time and space.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I have, however, ended up in some pretty heated arguments lately - in Germany and above all in CPH (where the screeners in general seem to have the worst attitudes of any airport in the world). Am I the only one who's bothered by this? Frankly, I don't think they should even ask people to turn away from their belongings unless they're willing to accept responsibility for them.
Considering that in German airports (at least in FRA and MUC), they don't allow anyone through the WTMD until the previous pax has taken control of his belongs that come out of the X-ray conveyor, I don't mind. I put my valuables in my carry on before hand, and send them through. So the German screeners are responsible.

With the TSA, I do insist on visibility, and most TSOs seem to get it. As soon as I get one that doesn't, I say the words "private screening please", and that puts my stuff with me and two or more TSOs in the private room.

But even in a non-secondary situation in TSA-land, your stuff is subject to theft. I out the least valuable stuff through first, and the most valuable last. As soon as the last tray enters the X-ray, I enter the WTMD. Not fool proof, but better than nothing. In Germany it is much safer for ones carry ons.

If this is a big worry for you in the USA, don't remove your wallet, or if you do, put it a carry on, and padlock the carry on.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the TSA now willing to kill more people than "terrorists" ever imagined (but to "save" us), if you have to deal with them, make sure you have a companion to cover your back, and your belongings.

Germany is the only place where they insist on x-raying my wallet, but at least they understand that this is sensitive, so it goes through separately, in its own special small red tray, with me being able to witness both its entrance to and exit from the machine.
German Security was like this waaay before the pathetic American excuse of 9/11. Ever since WWII the US has had an intense presence on German soil. I won't speculate on the politics therein.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.