Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"It's more important you go over there where I told you to."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G

My wife and two children (7 and 11) happened to be leaving LAX on UA the other day and somehow ended up in some tiny security checkpoint in T7.

There were two conveyors for your crap, along with a metal detector thing and a nudiescope (sp?).

We put all our crap on one of the conveyors. As far as I could tell, nobody really told us to do anything at all. A TSA guy was on the other side of the metal detector and nodded at me, so I send the 7 year old through. The 11 year old followed a few seconds later.

Apparently this was a grievous error. TSA Woman #1 near the conveyors yelled out that they shouldn't have gone through there. Still another TSA lady sheepishly said she's not going to force the children back through the other scanner, and they left it at that.

The thread that my wife and I posed to the world still had to be dealt with via the body scanner, which had a bit of a lineup due to some moron fellow travelers incapable of following the most basic of instructions. I could see it would take a few moments, so I asked TSA Woman #1 if I should probably go through the metal detector to look after my children. She answered, well, what I put in the thread title. She also told the kids not to come back to us.

The kids actually did a decent job with our crap, but the 7 year old can be a little impulsive and could just as easily decided he needed to run off into the terminal. That would have been a major cluster&#$*

Sheer incompetence.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:42 am

The amount of control TSA excercise over other people's kids at the checkpoint is pretty scary actually.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:12 am

Yeah and one day somebodies kids are going to go missing because of this crap of the kids being programmed to do everything the TSA Agents are telling them to do. Because kids do run off and if some person in the blue uniform tells the kid come with me. More than likely the kid is going to go wherever the trust worthy stranger in the blue uniform takes the kid. So it will be too late when TSA/DHS causes something to happen because they decided to have the parents to teach the kids that the TSA Agent is someone who plays games with them.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:26 am

I wonder what a judge would say if you were arrested because you walked through the WTMD to care for your children?

"Your honor, I walked through because my young children were on the other side, completely unsupervised, and vulnerable to anyone who might walk by. I judged my responsibility as a parent as more important than waiting in line for the other screening method."
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: AA 1M mile Gold, AS, BA, WN, SPG Gold
Well, I had thought that TSA SOP openly aiding and abetting theft of people's property during pat-downs, especially if they opt out, was bad enough, but this is just outright horrifying. Things can be replaced; children cannot.

I'm grateful everything turned out alright, Zom, but I'm most sorry they put you through such a horrible and scary experience.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 5:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zorn
Sheer incompetence.
You expected perhaps something else from the TSA?

Why?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Caradoc
You expected perhaps something else from the TSA?

Why?
+1

Can't expect much from the blue idiots.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
"No, it's more important I look after my children. Don't like it ? Get your supervisor".

TSA + important.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
"No, it's more important I look after my children. Don't like it ? Get your supervisor".

TSA + important.
AMEN!!!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife and two children (7 and 11) happened to be leaving LAX on UA the other day and somehow ended up in some tiny security checkpoint in T7.

There were two conveyors for your crap, along with a metal detector thing and a nudiescope (sp?).

We put all our crap on one of the conveyors. As far as I could tell, nobody really told us to do anything at all. A TSA guy was on the other side of the metal detector and nodded at me, so I send the 7 year old through. The 11 year old followed a few seconds later.

Apparently this was a grievous error. TSA Woman #1 near the conveyors yelled out that they shouldn't have gone through there. Still another TSA lady sheepishly said she's not going to force the children back through the other scanner, and they left it at that.

The thread that my wife and I posed to the world still had to be dealt with via the body scanner, which had a bit of a lineup due to some moron fellow travelers incapable of following the most basic of instructions. I could see it would take a few moments, so I asked TSA Woman #1 if I should probably go through the metal detector to look after my children. She answered, well, what I put in the thread title. She also told the kids not to come back to us.

The kids actually did a decent job with our crap, but the 7 year old can be a little impulsive and could just as easily decided he needed to run off into the terminal. That would have been a major cluster&#$*

Sheer incompetence.
Should this happen again, I'd suggest that you immediately call for the airport police and tell them that TSA is insisting that your two young children be left alone, unsupervised and separated from their parents.

This is unbelievable (I believe you, I'm just astounded at the depth of the stupidity of these TSOs).
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by PTravel
Should this happen again, I'd suggest that you immediately call for the airport police and tell them that TSA is insisting that your two young children be left alone, unsupervised and separated from their parents.
But who will then watch their stuff if the kids are retrieved or removed?

This is unbelievable (I believe you, I'm just astounded at the depth of the stupidity of these TSOs).
Understatement .... the pit is bottomless, the depth is infinite.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program

And, if you allow your daughter to go into the restroom without you (if you were traveling without a female spouse), would you agree that you should be subject to arrest for child endangerment? I agree that TSA can be annoying, but let's not get carried away with ourselves.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
But who will then watch their stuff if the kids are retrieved or removed?
I always insist that my stuff remain in my direct sight-line. I've had issues with TSOs about this (primarily at SNA), but a quick demand for a supervisor has resolved it. Kids should not be separated from their parents. Period. It's an open invitation for bad things to happen.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
And, if you allow your daughter to go into the restroom without you (if you were traveling without a female spouse), would you agree that you should be subject to arrest for child endangerment? I agree that TSA can be annoying, but let's not get carried away with ourselves.
On those occasions when a young girl was in my charge (my "quasi-ex-step-daughter"), I waited outside the restroom which, I assume, is what all parents would do. This is very different than holding the parents on one side of the TSA barricade while the children are left alone on the other. Particularly with two parents present, any idiot (well, not the TSA idiots) would know to have one parent go through first, then the two children, then the other parent.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:26 am

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.

Sheer incompetence.
I totally agree. Sheer incompetence and pointless repression. I, personally, would have simply proceeded through the metal detector without asking, given that my two children were on the other side, unsupervised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.