Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEXUS question -- YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

NEXUS question -- YYZ

I'm an American NEXUS cardholder. Every time I go through YYZ into Canada, I walk straight through, thanks to NEXUS. But every time I return, I have am summoned into a special area. They take my ID's and ask me to sit down, and then they call me up, just ask me if I have anything to declare, and then wave me through. Is this normal?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AtariBaby
I'm an American NEXUS cardholder. Every time I go through YYZ into Canada, I walk straight through, thanks to NEXUS. But every time I return, I have am summoned into a special area. They take my ID's and ask me to sit down, and then they call me up, just ask me if I have anything to declare, and then wave me through. Is this normal?
Doesn't sound normal. Check your profile and make sure it is correct. I had one person tell me it showed I was a Canadian resident and it once triggered the code for questioning.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Go to the nearest NEXUS Enrolment Centre and ask the officer to pull up your record and look for anything unusual. It could be simply a clerical error (some info on your profile doesn't match your passport) or it could be something more serious. Best to take care of it to avoid further delays.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
This is definitely abnormal. You should get it straightened out.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for these tips. Waltzing into an enrollment area isn't easy since I live in California, but perhaps on my next visit to Toronto I can get into their YYZ office without an appointment.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks for these tips. Waltzing into an enrollment area isn't easy since I live in California, but perhaps on my next visit to Toronto I can get into their YYZ office without an appointment.
Could you visit any of the US NEXUS stations? I believe there is one in SEA...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Yeah too far.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
They usually allow you to do that
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Starwood Preferred Guest + lots of other hotel programs
Try calling the NEXUS office in Seattle

When I received the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass this past summer, I called NEXUS office to see if there was a problem with my record. The Canadian office directed me to the Seattle office (don't know why they couldn't figure it out themselves) and it turned out that I had two passport numbers listed on my file. When I had visited the NEXUS office in YYZ to present my renewed passport, the agent didn't remove the original number from the file.

Definitely worth giving the Seattle office a call to see if you can straighten things out by phone.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PortCredit
When I received the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass this past summer, I called NEXUS office to see if there was a problem with my record.
SSSS has nothing to do with NEXUS.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by LessO2
And you know this how?

I've been told otherwise (by GE folks, actually).
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
And you know this how?

I've been told otherwise (by GE folks, actually).
Who are "GE Folks?"
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Who are "GE Folks?"
I am guessing they are referring to CBP Officers at a GE office..
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Starwood Preferred Guest + lots of other hotel programs
Maybe, maybe not. I don't know if I'll ever know for certain.

Regardless of whether there is a connection between SSSS and NEXUS, reviewing my record DID succeed in finding an easily resolvable issue that could have caused (or continued to have caused) problems.

I was pleasantly surprised to be able to deal with this by phone.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PortCredit
Maybe, maybe not. I don't know if I'll ever know for certain.

Regardless of whether there is a connection between SSSS and NEXUS, reviewing my record DID succeed in finding an easily resolvable issue that could have caused (or continued to have caused) problems.

I was pleasantly surprised to be able to deal with this by phone.
SSSS can happen for other reasons and is not NEXUS related. I was once leaving SeaTac and United's computer's rebooted and all the boarding passes were getting SSSS since they couldn't validate the documentation. I was one line with hundreds, very few who were flying international.
I agree that it was good to check it by phone, but even looking at your profile can lead to some clues as to what is going on.
BTW: Nexus was the best $50 I ever spent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.