Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New "Threat": Planes merely transiting US airspace

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Threat": Planes merely transiting US airspace

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:44 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down New "Threat": Planes merely transiting US airspace

The sky is falling! (according to the Washington Post)

Originally Posted by article
As the Obama administration works to harden domestic defenses against terrorism, some experts point to a potential vulnerability from thousands of flights that pass over the United States each week.

Although the United States regulates overflights, the cargo aboard them is not screened to federal standards and passenger lists are not matched to names on the terrorist watch list maintained by the Transportation Security Administration.

The TSA says other countries "have their own cargo security protocols that apply to those aircraft." The TSA has not implemented the new Secure Flight program to scrutinize passengers boarding overflights. That behind-the-scenes operation is designed to ferret out potential terrorists through a process that begins with airlines collecting detailed information when someone buys a ticket.
Holy cow, can't this nation of ninnies find something else to worry about?!

One of the idjits commenting on the article suggested terrorists would buy a cargo plane in South America, put a nuke on it, and blow it up over US airspace.v
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:01 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except I thought passenger manifests are run against the NFL; there have been the AF/BA diversions and complaints from Canadians. Is this only a cargo issue?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Bolding mine:

Scanning all the cargo that flies over the country "is totally unrealistic," said Yossi Sheffi, director of the Center for Transportation and Logistics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "We have tens of millions of packages flying almost every night. We can't stop the huge flow of packages from all over the world. There has to be a balance between acceptable risk and the economy."

I await the politician who can get across the message that "here has to be a balance between acceptable risk and assuming that Chicken Little was right."

Last edited by Fredd; Dec 26, 2010 at 7:16 pm
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:09 pm

Wow. As if there weren't far easier ways for a determined terrorist to set off a dirty bomb than to get on a plane with a bomb (after passing through security, albeit not TSA security theater) and then set it off 30,000 feet above the US.

We should just never leave our homes. Overflights, thermoses, underwear, mass transit stops at the airport.... The world's a scary place.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Ellie M
We should just never leave our homes. Overflights, thermoses, underwear, mass transit stops at the airport.... The world's a scary place.
Good advice. I'm writing this from my new work station underneath my bed.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Except I thought passenger manifests are run against the NFL; there have been the AF/BA diversions and complaints from Canadians. Is this only a cargo issue?
Right. I think the person who wrote that article is very confused.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Wow. As if there weren't far easier ways for a determined terrorist to set off a dirty bomb than to get on a plane with a bomb (after passing through security, albeit not TSA security theater) and then set it off 30,000 feet above the US.

Gotta find ways to spend the tax payers money
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:27 pm

Read all the way through the article, though, and you'll see that its quotes go progressively from fear to calm reason. As in, 92% of non-Canadian overflights are from... Germany! And an IATA spokesman talks sensibly about fear and risk.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by bpshell
Read all the way through the article, though, and you'll see that its quotes go progressively from fear to calm reason. As in, 92% of non-Canadian overflights are from... Germany!
That % seems very high, even allowing for all those UPS flights from their European hub. I'd question it except I don't know how I'd find the statistics.
One of the idjits commenting on the article suggested terrorists would buy a cargo plane in South America, put a nuke on it, and blow it up over US airspace.
Must have recently read Medusa's Child
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:34 am

Nothing is sweeter that boarding a plan in Canada toward South America without removing your shoes, then watching US soil as you fly above it.

Nothing is more ironic that flying into the US from abroad, spending hours in US airspace, without ever removing shoes, and then having to remove them after you arrived, just to leave the airport.

This is a classic case of the TSA wanting to implement their stupid measures to the rest of the world. Leave us alone!!!

As an aside, since when do they screen cargo properly within the US??
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:36 am

On the contrary, all US residents should evacuate the US immediately, and stay evacuated until the threat has passed.

It's really the only safe thing to do.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Fredd
Bolding mine:

Scanning all the cargo that flies over the country "is totally unrealistic," said Yossi Sheffi, director of the Center for Transportation and Logistics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. "We have tens of millions of packages flying almost every night. We can't stop the huge flow of packages from all over the world. There has to be a balance between acceptable risk and the economy."

I await the politician who can get across the message that "here has to be a balance between acceptable risk and assuming that Chicken Little was right."
Balance is based on understanding the risks and mitigations, and making choices and decisions around those understandings. The average citizen doesn't appear to have the understanding, or to be able to make those choices and decisions.

There has to be a balance between acceptable risk and anything. Money, liberty, freedom, health, whatever. In the avarice and gluttonous driven culture of the last 20-30 years, the latest overindulgence is the quest for the greatest quantity of security and safety. The richer we attempt to become by dipping from the bank of security, the more that must be withdrawn from other accounts.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Help! The International Space Station transits US airspace several times per day! And, and, there are Russians on it!!!!

WHEW! We're safe, at least for the next few hours (0630 EST).
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Balance is based on understanding the risks and mitigations, and making choices and decisions around those understandings. The average citizen doesn't appear to have the understanding, or to be able to make those choices and decisions.

We no longer question anything. Why?

Last edited by trvlr64; Dec 27, 2010 at 5:03 am
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
As an aside, since when do they screen cargo properly within the US??
They don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.