FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1164350-epic-host-tsa-workshop-stripping-freedom-jan-6-2011-d-c.html)

divemistressofthedark Dec 26, 2010 11:47 am

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

http://epic.org/events/tsa/

"The Stripping of Freedom: A Careful Scan of TSA Procedures"

January 6, 2011

The Carnegie Institute for Science
1530 P St., NW
Washington, DC

Featured Speakers:

Ralph Nader
Rep. Jason Chaffetz (invited)
Rep. Rush Holt (invited)
Nadhira Al-Khalili
David Greenfield
Kate Hanni
Prof. Jeffrey Rosen
Bruce Schneier

This one-day public conference will be devoted to an assessment of the TSA airport security procedures and recommendations for reform. Experts in law, aviation security, and health safety, advocates for flyers rights, privacy protection, and religious freedom, as well as lawmakers and policy advisors will participate in the event. The event will also include a rich media display, with images from airport protests, YouTube videos, and campaign materials.
Would I love to see this. Not sure I can swing the time I'd need to drive up and back from BNA, though. Would be interested in reports from those attending.

FriendlySkies Dec 26, 2010 1:05 pm

If I could find a cheap ticket, I would consider going! Would DCA be the closest airport?

FliesWay2Much Dec 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15525673)
If I could find a cheap ticket, I would consider going! Would DCA be the closest airport?

Yes -- You could ride the Metro right from the airport and save the cost of a taxi or rental car. The location is about 3 blocks east of DuPont Circle (red Line) on P Street.

I wouldn't be surprised for one nanosecond that DHS or TSA "counterintelligence" people will infiltrate the meeting. The most likely source of TSA infiltrators would be SPOTNiks or FAMs. Nappy could also decide to send in a few plain-clothes Secret Service people. Presence of FBI counterintelligence ops people would require DHS to request support from DOJ. I wouldn't expect the request to be made, mostly out of pride and because Nappy couldn't possibly convince Holder that subversive activities would be taking place.

If you go, be very careful about exchanging business cards with anyone who purports to work for a company you've never heard of or anyone who asks a lot of strange questions. If you see someone picking up several copies of an attendee list or people who generally don't fit, try to snap a discrete picture. Conversely, if there are people going out of their way to avoid being in any sort of picture or video of the conference, this should send up flags.

This isn't tinfoil hat stuff in the least. I've seen it happen in other contexts over the years.

wb9tio Dec 26, 2010 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 15525964)
I wouldn't be surprised for one nanosecond that DHS or TSA "counterintelligence" people will infiltrate the meeting. The most likely source of TSA infiltrators would be SPOTNiks or FAMs. Nappy could also decide to send in a few plain-clothes Secret Service people. Presence of FBI counterintelligence ops people would require DHS to request support from DOJ. I wouldn't expect the request to be made, mostly out of pride and because Nappy couldn't possibly convince Holder that subversive activities would be taking place.

If you go, be very careful about exchanging business cards with anyone who purports to work for a company you've never heard of or anyone who asks a lot of strange questions. If you see someone picking up several copies of an attendee list or people who generally don't fit, try to snap a discrete picture. Conversely, if there are people going out of their way to avoid being in any sort of picture or video of the conference, this should send up flags.

This isn't tinfoil hat stuff in the least. I've seen it happen in other contexts over the years.

If your gut tells you something isn't right with some of the folks who are there such as what you described they need to be publicly outed! Their stench needs to be out in the open.

FriendlySkies Dec 26, 2010 7:56 pm

It's sad that we have to be on the look out for things like this. Hard to imagine what this country has turned into. :(

n4zhg Dec 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by wb9tio (Post 15527379)
If your gut tells you something isn't right with some of the folks who are there such as what you described they need to be publicly outed! Their stench needs to be out in the open.

There's a hacker convention every year in Vegas that has a "Spot The Fed" contest and the winner gets a T-shirt that says "I Spotted The Fed" while the Fed gets one that says "I Am The Fed".

Something like this should be suggested to EPIC.

wendyg Dec 26, 2010 8:17 pm

The EPIC folks have been to Defcon...

wg

FriendlySkies Dec 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Unfortunately, it looks as though I will not be able to go to the event. Tickets were North of $650 :eek:

polonius Dec 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Yep, me too.

divemistressofthedark Dec 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Tickets to the event? Or airline tickets were $650??

Hopefully if it's the former, EPIC will be throwing registration fees into the kitty to put toward further legal actions against TSA.

FriendlySkies Dec 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark (Post 15527882)

Hopefully if it's the former, EPIC will be throwing registration fees into the kitty to put toward further legal actions against TSA.

airline tix. :( I was really wanting to attend, and play "Spot the brown shirts" :D

divemistressofthedark Dec 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Where are you? Can you fly WN from MCI-BWI? (Rock chalk, by the way...I'm a grad, as is Mr. Dive...)

You can take a MARC train from BWI to Union Station in D.C. (where you can board the Metro) for around $15. It's not a bad trip, at all.

FriendlySkies Dec 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark (Post 15527900)
Where are you? Can you fly WN from MCI-BWI? (Rock chalk, by the way...I'm a grad, as is Mr. Dive...)

I'm in DEN for the next few weeks. Even looking at BWI, they are on the high side.. Hopefully one of the TS/S FTers in the local area can attend. I'll keep an eye out on the tickets.

Rock Chalk :) ^

lkkinetic Dec 27, 2010 3:56 pm

If it weren't my second day of teaching for winter quarter, I'd be there with bells on ... and my "Land of the free?" t-shirt with Lady Liberty's backscatter image.

I'll pass the word on to my DC friends, many of whom are opposed to the TSA's (and the Patriot Act's) intrusive policies.

Mimo Dec 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for pointing out the event. I hope EPIC considers streaming the event online for people who can't be there in person. Streaming would also make a statement--people would be able to "attend" the event without subjecting themselves to the TSA. I've sent an email to EPIC about this and suggest that others who agree send an email as well.

kebosabi Dec 27, 2010 6:01 pm

I'd love to see this as well! Any chance of a live feed on uStream?

motorguy Dec 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark (Post 15525349)
http://epic.org/events/tsa/

Would I love to see this. Not sure I can swing the time I'd need to drive up and back from BNA, though. Would be interested in reports from those attending.

Ordinarily, I would be interested, but if Ralph Nader is there, I am not.

halls120 Dec 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 15525905)
Yes -- You could ride the Metro right from the airport and save the cost of a taxi or rental car. The location is about 3 blocks east of DuPont Circle (red Line) on P Street.

FW2M is correct. DHS operatives will most likely be present, especially given their past practices.

I have a clear calendar on the 6th. I just may be able to drop by and catch the fun.

Superguy Dec 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 15533500)
FW2M is correct. DHS operatives will most likely be present, especially given their past practices.

I have a clear calendar on the 6th. I just may be able to drop by and catch the fun.

You taking a page from DHS's PlaybookŪ? ;) :D

halls120 Dec 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 15533823)
You taking a page from DHS's PlaybookŪ? ;) :D

well, I do have a camera phone.....

divemistressofthedark Dec 27, 2010 11:01 pm

I'm actually really considering driving up for this. I'd just hate to get stuck in another snowstorm...anyone seen a forecast?

InkUnderNails Dec 28, 2010 4:29 am

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark (Post 15527882)

10 day forecast for Nashville and point towards DC is 40's with maybe some chance of snow in the hills of Virginia and the Cumberland Plateau on Thursday before the event. That said, 10-day forecasts are generally pretty useless except in San Diego and Hawaii.

wendyg Dec 28, 2010 8:43 am

It would hardly be surprising if some of the privacy folks who are likely to attend wouldn't want their pics snapped either. Can't read much into that.

wg

FliesWay2Much Dec 28, 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark (Post 15534439)
I'm actually really considering driving up for this. I'd just hate to get stuck in another snowstorm...anyone seen a forecast?

It's too early to tell anything definite. Any forecast beyond ~4 days is highly speculative. Things don't really firm up until about 48-72 hours out. Having said that, we are going to be up in the 50s over the New Years weekend.

RosemaryT Dec 28, 2010 11:24 am

help

I need a little clarity here: Are tickets required for the event and how much are they?

How close is this place to Amtrak's Union Station? I'm 100% unfamiliar with Washington's mass transit system. I can take a train from Newport News to DC, but once I'm there - where do I go?

Rose

Wollstonecraft Dec 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by motorguy (Post 15533361)
Ordinarily, I would be interested, but if Ralph Nader is there, I am not.

Meh, coalitions by definition are a big tent and will always include people you don't like. I, personally, am slightly horrified that I agree with Ron Paul on anything, but here we are. Don't let it rub you the wrong way.

FliesWay2Much Dec 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by RosemaryT (Post 15536879)
I need a little clarity here: Are tickets required for the event and how much are they?

How close is this place to Amtrak's Union Station? I'm 100% unfamiliar with Washington's mass transit system. I can take a train from Newport News to DC, but once I'm there - where do I go?

Rose

Rose, it's easy once you get to Union Station. Take the Metro Red Line (only line at Union Station) in the direction of Shady Grove. Get off at the DuPont Circle Station. It's about a 10-minute trip. Once you come up topside, walk about three blocks east on P Street. You'll see 1530 P Street and the Institute in a couple of minutes. I've never been inside the building, but I'm sure the conference will be clearly marked.

The Metro Web Site is: Metro. I would do a Google map or something of the DuPont Circle area to make sure you get your bearings once you surface from the Metro.

wendyg Dec 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Anyone who's going needs to register at the link posted at the beginning of the thread. I already have.

wg

birdstrike Dec 28, 2010 7:58 pm

It is possible that it will be webcast. Carnegie has the capability. Unfortunately, their website just says check here 5 minutes before the lecture.

http://carnegiescience.edu/events/other

Wimpie Dec 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Marc Rotemberg of EPIC looking for help.

Please help out Marc in his fund raising for epic.org.
His organization is the most organized in bringing down the NoS's.
Check out his lawsuit at www.epic.org
Please contribute here:
http://wishes.causes.com/wishes/1521...=friend_banner

SpatialD Dec 31, 2010 9:36 am

Michael Roberts looking for a ride

I've committed to join one of the panels at the event and am now looking into travel options out of Memphis. I don't see any way to fly through the passenger terminals without at least subjecting myself to the possibility of a frisking even if I travel in uniform, so that's pretty much not an option.

As a side note/rant, I'm a little disappointed by those people (both on and off this board) who plan to attend yet appear willing to subject themselves to TSA's abuse in order to do so. And, by a little disappointed, I mean WHAT THE FOXTROT??? If we would all simply stop putting up with this madness right now, there would be no need to come up with strategies to end it at some point in the future. Otherwise, what are we even doing? We are all free to choose whether or not we will participate in and comply with the state's power grab. Not participating and not complying are far more important than attending a seminar to talk about it. Jeeze!

Anyway, I'm not sure if my jump seat privileges are even valid while I'm on leave of absence from my airline. I don't think so, but if they are maybe I could hitch a ride on FedEx. Otherwise, it looks like it'll be a road trip for me. I noticed a couple of BNA folks on this thread... if they or anyone else within striking distance of MEM would be interested in sharing a ride, please send me a PM or email at 'michael AT fedupflyers.org'. Since I haven't had a paycheck since Oct. 15, I'm trying to minimize the expense as much as possible!

And I'll be sure to tell the feds at the conference that the folks at FlyerTalk said hi. No doubt my name is already up towards the top of their list of domestic extremist/suspected terrorists, so there's not much point in hiding from them now. ;)

jdp23 Jan 3, 2011 1:19 pm

They're working on streaming video ...

We'll put the details here once we know them.

There will be a Twitter feed too, hopefully with some two-way conversations.

essxjay Jan 3, 2011 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by jdp23 (Post 15574073)
We'll put the details here once we know them.

Excellent. ^

divemistressofthedark Jan 3, 2011 9:40 pm

Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to attend, but would be more than be willing to pay a reasonable fee to view a webcast.

Good luck to Capt Roberts and all else who will be attending/presenting!!

(A thought, upon a re-read: Capt Roberts, you are fortunate enough to live in a city that has Amtrak service. I know it'd be a longer journey but might it work for you to take the train up to Chicago, then east?

I contemplate driving to MEM for this exact journey fairly often...)

Mimo Jan 4, 2011 1:38 pm

According to this site, live video will be available at http://epic.org/events/tsa/

DevilDog438 Jan 4, 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark (Post 15527900)

You can take a MARC train from BWI to Union Station in D.C. (where you can board the Metro) for around $15. It's not a bad trip, at all.

FYI - there is also the B30 Metro bus:
  1. Picks up at the end of the E concourse, arrivals level (right next to the Light Rail station)
  2. Drops off at Greenbelt Metro (Metro Green line - take Green line train to Fort Totten, switch to the Red Line train and follow the directions in post #27)
  3. Costs $6.00, one way
  4. Timetable link

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15527926)
I'm in DEN for the next few weeks. Even looking at BWI, they are on the high side.. Hopefully one of the TS/S FTers in the local area can attend. I'll keep an eye out on the tickets.

Rock Chalk :) ^

If I was not going to be airborne, I would attend; however, I will be enroute to a customer site that day (BWI-DTW-NGO).

TXagogo Jan 4, 2011 3:16 pm

ROAD TRIP!

I'm in DFW. Have an open calendar. Anyone want to share a rental car with stops along the way?? If we get a few people we can all make the trip with relay driving to avoid one night hotel on the way out and back.

Anyone in the area of DFW, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, or Knoxville interested? If so, post on here or PM me. I have free hotel nights that I could try to use/donate for the overnight in DC.

FriendlySkies Jan 4, 2011 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by TXagogo (Post 15582782)
ROAD TRIP!

I'm in DFW. Have an open calendar. Anyone want to share a rental car with stops along the way?? If we get a few people we can all make the trip with relay driving to avoid one night hotel on the way out and back.

Anyone in the area of DFW, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, or Knoxville interested? If so, post on here or PM me. I have free hotel nights that I could try to use/donate for the overnight in DC.

^^^

If I did not have to be somewhere this weekend, I'd definitely join in! Make sure to play, Spot the SPOTNik :)

jdp23 Jan 4, 2011 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mimo (Post 15582027)
According to this site, live video will be available at http://epic.org/events/tsa/

That's me :-) I got email confirmation from EPIC that the video will be streamed, but they're still finalizing the logistics.

divemistressofthedark Jan 5, 2011 12:06 am

CRAP. CRAP. CRAP. I wanted to go to this soooo bad. And a roadtrip with TS&Sers! It'd be just too good.

Unfortunately I just could not make the schedule work with a 12 hour drive on both ends. Here's hoping for more notice for the next one (although I get that these things get put together on the fly and sometimes the advanced scheduling is just not possible.)

Reading JDP's link just posted (http://www.talesfromthe.net/jon/?p=2318)...EPIC needs citizen activists, including folks to draft letters. I and other FTers have posted a slew of 'em here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-airlines.html

Anyone who likes is hereby encouraged to use mine and modify it to his/her own ends, as long as s/he's working against current TSA practices.

I'll try to update the letter in the OP in the next day or two, to reflect the new fresh hells of stronger AITs, portable AITs, etc. (FTer FliesWay2Much is in possession of some TSA funding details on these damn things.)

{Edit} Here's the hourly schedule for the event. I have a longish afternoon meeting...maybe I'll be feeling "too feverish" to attend so I can stay home glued to the Internet. :p Unless by some miracle this will be archived for review later in the day...?

http://epic.org/events/tsa/schedule.php

9:00 Keynote - "Watching the Watchers - The Roles of Congress"
Rep. Rush Holt

9:30 Panel 1 - "The Bare Truth: Evaluating Body Scanners"
Ralph Nader, Consumer Advocate
Wes Benedict, Libertarian Party
Ed Luttwak, CSIS
Chip Pitts, Stanford Law School & Oxford University

10:30 Panel 2 - "Don't Touch My Junk: The Public Response"
Pablo Molina, Georgetown University Law Center
James Babb, We Won't Fly
Kate Hanni, Flyers Rights