FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1164350-epic-host-tsa-workshop-stripping-freedom-jan-6-2011-d-c.html)

FliesWay2Much Jan 5, 2011 6:32 am

Someone Please Grab An Attendance List

Originally Posted by jdp23 (Post 15584993)
That's me :-) I got email confirmation from EPIC that the video will be streamed, but they're still finalizing the logistics.

Earlier in the discussion, we had talked about the probability of TSA/DHS "watchers" being there today. If you are attending (I can't, unfortunately), please try to snap some pictures of the suspects. They may be taking pictures themselves. If EPIC publishes a list of attendees, some DHS people may actually sign in. If someone can send me the list (scanned copy or link), I can give it a quick skim and look for DHS people who registered "under cover."

Late-breaking news: My mid-morning meeting just got canceled, so I may be able to catch the last couple of hours of the morning or afternoon sessions.

jdp23 Jan 5, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks for the sample letters, divinemistress -- I forwarded them on to EPIC and suggested using those as starting points.

FliesWay2Much, TSA and other DHS folks are invited to the conference. Nothing here's secret; in fact one of the goals is to send a strong signal that people are organizing and we aren't going away.

FliesWay2Much Jan 5, 2011 8:59 am

Originally Posted by jdp23 (Post 15587766)
Thanks for the sample letters, divinemistress -- I forwarded them on to EPIC and suggested using those as starting points.

FliesWay2Much, TSA and other DHS folks are invited to the conference. Nothing here's secret; in fact one of the goals is to send a strong signal that people are organizing and we aren't going away.

First, I have to snap out of my senior moment to realize that the conference is tomorrow and not today. I would have had the conference room to myself today. Oh, well...

FYI, I wasn't worried at all about EPIC being "secret" or limiting attendance. Based on experience, I was speculating that the DHS and TSA would overtly "ignore" the conference but try to sneak in a few people anyway to "monitor" the proceedings. That's what I was hoping people would try to notice.

DevilDog438 Jan 5, 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 15587834)
FYI, I wasn't worried at all about EPIC being "secret" or limiting attendance. Based on experience, I was speculating that the DHS and TSA would overtly "ignore" the conference but try to sneak in a few people anyway to "monitor" the proceedings. That's what I was hoping people would try to notice.

Not that we will ever know, but I am curious if the DHS will try to use a National Security Letter to gain access to any attendance rosters that EPIC creates for the event...

FliesWay2Much Jan 5, 2011 9:04 am

Originally Posted by DevilDog438 (Post 15587852)
Not that we will ever know, but I am curious if the DHS will try to use a National Security Letter to gain access to any attendance rosters that EPIC creates for the event...

I'll be a nice guy and give them a head start on the first 15 attendees.

divemistressofthedark Jan 5, 2011 11:30 am

Seriously, I'd like some information on what I'm about to post below. Maybe someone can address it tomorrow on Twitter - I'll submit a remote question. (I'm quoting myself from the 'Facebook' thread.)

Here's a link to the "B-SCAN" system, which "provides a high-resolution, head-to-toes image of the person in less than seven seconds. Imaging enhancement tools then provide the operator with information to quickly and accurately evaluate the image for concealed objects, including inside body cavities."

http://www.smithsdetection.com/1025_5598.php

Here's the press release talking about the $325 million contract TSA gave to Smiths and other of its owners, er, vendors, last fall for "next generation Advanced Technology X-ray systems."

http://www.smithsdetection.com/1025_5533.php

Although this article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n56257905/

Seems to indicate the $325 million is only for baggage detection systems, the fact that the first link is a.) there and b.) says “We currently have more than 100 B-SCAN systems deployed around the world in a variety of applications such as prisons, airports and customs checkpoints" tells me this is the new face of devilry.

jdp23 Jan 5, 2011 5:21 pm

The short URL for live streaming is http://tinyurl.com/CarefulScan ...

The full URL is http://public.streamhoster.com/resou...broadcast=true

swag Jan 5, 2011 7:05 pm

LP Press Release on the event:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 4, 2011

E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 202-333-0008 ext. 222

Libertarian Party to participate in "Stripping of Freedom" TSA conference

WASHINGTON - Libertarian Party Executive Director Wes Benedict will join Ralph Nader and Cato Institute information policy expert Jim Harper this Thursday, January 6, as a panelist at a public conference examining TSA security procedures.

The conference is sponsored by the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), and titled "The Stripping of Freedom: A Careful Scan of TSA Security Procedures." It is open to the press and public. (Advance registration is preferred.)

Benedict commented, "TSA agents strip-scan and grope us when we want to take an airline flight. We need to treat their security theater with just as much scrutiny. Terrorists win by tricking us into letting government trample on our rights."

ND Sol Jan 6, 2011 7:10 am

Originally Posted by jdp23 (Post 15591690)
The short URL for live streaming is http://tinyurl.com/CarefulScan ...

The full URL is http://public.streamhoster.com/resou...broadcast=true

Reminder that it is now ongoing. Rep. Holt is currently speaking.

NotaCriminal Jan 6, 2011 7:14 am

I hope it is being recorded; my workplace is blocking the site (we rarely have access to streaming media).

gdeluca Jan 6, 2011 7:16 am

Stream is working now.

Ralph Nader is speaking now.

MKEbound Jan 6, 2011 7:24 am

I'm watching the live stream. Decent quality.

TXagogo Jan 6, 2011 7:37 am

Stream is good but I've lost in twice in 30 minutes. Is anyone else having this problem. Refreshing does not help.

doober Jan 6, 2011 7:38 am

Originally Posted by TXagogo (Post 15595326)
Stream is good but I've lost in twice in 30 minutes. Is anyone else having this problem. Refreshing does not help.

Yes.

gdeluca Jan 6, 2011 7:38 am

I lost it as well TX - unfortunately in the middle of Ralph Nader!

jdp23 Jan 6, 2011 7:39 am

It's being streamed at http://tinyurl.com/CarefulScan ...

onlyairfare Jan 6, 2011 7:42 am

I have just had the stream interrupted briefly, but now it is back. When it is there, it's very good quality.

Perfect streaming would be great, but I am also very grateful it's being streamed at all. Otherwise I'd miss it.

TXagogo Jan 6, 2011 7:58 am

Seems like approximately every 15-20 minutes it goes out for several minutes at a time.

Ellie M Jan 6, 2011 8:01 am

Originally Posted by TXagogo (Post 15595456)
Seems like approximately every 15-20 minutes it goes out for several minutes at a time.

Same here.

billycorgan Jan 6, 2011 8:06 am

Will the entire set of lectures be posted online somewhere after the conference. I am very interested in watching this but cannot do so live.

TXagogo Jan 6, 2011 8:18 am

My initial impressions:

1. I'm very intrigued about the points made by Ed Luttwak that not only are the scanners unnecessary, but actually may result in even LESS security because the clerks are distracted by the machines that much of the time are not even working.

2. The term "dragnet enforcement" used by Rush Holt is spot on. We now live in a country where every person is considered to be a suspect first. Mr. Holt notes that police in every municipality know that there are criminals amongst them. However, we don't subject our citizens to dragnet enforcement because we are scared that ONE of them may be a criminal.

jdp23 Jan 6, 2011 8:25 am

Agreed with TXagogo's points. Also I thought Chip Pitts (who used to run Amnesty International USA) made some great points about the moral issues underlying this. "Even if you don't mind having your genitals groped and naked pictures taken, do you really want to live in a country where your parents, children, wife, etc. is subject to this?"

Luttwack's presentation was sizzling, talking about how the TSA agents go to Israel on "fact-finding" missions and then ignore and distort whatever they're told. I also thought it was striking that the TSA was the only organization that didn't respond to IATA's vision document.

onlyairfare Jan 6, 2011 8:30 am

Agree about LESS security because of distraction of NoS.

I always opt out, and almost every time I opt out and get the groping, there is something "contraband" in my carry-on that is totally missed. I know some have said "If you get the grope, you also get the thorough hand search of your bag."

I have not had that experience at all - it's been one or the other. If the blue-shirt perv is busy with genitalia, she doesn't notice the full bottle of water or the box cutter.

Are we all getting the gaps in the stream at the same time? Mine is out right now.

Mimo Jan 6, 2011 8:32 am

I agree that Ed Luttwak has made some excellent points. He's pointing out the larger issues, like the fact that the TSOs' job is basically to run a machine, not use their brains. The DHS thinks they can solve a complex problem by applying simplistic consumer behavior: let's buy a gizmo!

jdp23 Jan 6, 2011 8:34 am

Wow that was an awesome panel.

Before it seemed like we were getting the breaks at the same time, now I'm not so sure.

Also is anybody else unable to get to the video? My friend just gets a blank screen.

I'm really looking forward to this next panel -- Michael Roberts, Kate Hanni, Jim Babb, and Pablo Molina (a professor of ethics and technology)

wendyg Jan 6, 2011 8:43 am

For those who can't follow the stream the Twitter feed is at

http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23scantsa

I think there'll be some stuff on C-Span.

wg

redii Jan 6, 2011 9:06 am

Yaay! Shout out for Flyertalk!

divemistressofthedark Jan 6, 2011 9:08 am

I think I'll tape C-Span all day (which right now is showing Congress...the schedule in Tivo guide says "TBD", dammit). Someone directly in front is taping this but I can't see who it is.

I have a previously planned meeting and can't sit glued to this - which of course is what I would prefer to do!

If I get anything on C-Span I'll dump an MP4 on Gigasize or similar and link it here.

Aw, this is awesome!! SO encouraging to see. I'm loving James Babb.

lkkinetic Jan 6, 2011 9:22 am

Originally Posted by jdp23 (Post 15595651)
Agreed with TXagogo's points. Also I thought Chip Pitts (who used to run Amnesty International USA) made some great points about the moral issues underlying this. "Even if you don't mind having your genitals groped and naked pictures taken, do you really want to live in a country where your parents, children, wife, etc. is subject to this?"

Luttwack's presentation was sizzling, talking about how the TSA agents go to Israel on "fact-finding" missions and then ignore and distort whatever they're told. I also thought it was striking that the TSA was the only organization that didn't respond to IATA's vision document.

Agreed. I loved how Luttwack later said "I despise this shambolic, amateur operation"!

Both panels are raising all of the relevant points clearly and cogently. Well done.

TXagogo Jan 6, 2011 9:24 am

James Babb is fantastic. I am adding www.wewontfly.com to my favorites list on my laptop and have already "liked" it on facebook.

divemistressofthedark Jan 6, 2011 9:32 am

So's our own SpatialD.

This is even better than I had dared to hope. Wish they'd show the crowd, though. Any estimates on how many people were able to make it?

{Edit: Sounds like there's a lot of crowd noise...}

(Unfortunately all three C-Span channels are still showing programming regarding the Republican takeover of Congress. Apparently they're reading the Constitution on the House floor. Hope they're taking special note of Amendment 4.)

FliesWay2Much Jan 6, 2011 9:33 am

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark (Post 15596171)
So's our own SpatialD.

This is even better than I had dared to hope. Wish they'd show the crowd, though. Any estimates on how many people were able to make it?

I was just going to ask the same question. I've been in & out all morning and have to spend all afternoon inside a secure area, so there's no opportunity to make it down there this afternoon.

Did I read that someone said that this is or will be on C-SPAN?

divemistressofthedark Jan 6, 2011 9:38 am

That was indeed mentioned, FW2M. I'm flipping from plain flavored C-Span to C-Span 2 and 3...I realize this conference was planned to coincide with the seating of the new Congress but unfortunately that's all TV is covering. Right now C-Span has the "ceremonial swearing in" of new House members...C-Span 2 is attempts to overturn the 2010 health care law, etc.

Someone is definitely taping this from the front row, though. Maybe they'll re-run it in the middle of the night. I'm getting only TBD as far as C-Span schedules however.

jdp23 Jan 6, 2011 9:39 am

Wow, what a great panel. I posted my notes at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...nse-panel.html

I'll try to find out how many people are there in person.

wendyg Jan 6, 2011 9:41 am

In answer to the question posted on Twitter, there are probably about 40 people here. But some are coming and going during the day (speakers, eg, with busy schedules).

wg

onlyairfare Jan 6, 2011 9:42 am

Wow! In the past Alioto has imposed some limits (effectiveness) on security scanning. Promising. Many have expressed concern that SCOTUS would likely side with "anything for security."

divemistressofthedark Jan 6, 2011 9:51 am

Ginger McCall from EPIC: "Apparently TSA doesn't think it's accountable to the public for the money it spends and the rights that it violates."

"TSA misrepresents the capabilities of the machines"

"There has to be escalation of methods"

She is AWESOME. ^ Can I vote for her for Congress? :P

jdp23 Jan 6, 2011 9:54 am

Totally agreed about how great Ginger is.

Jeff Rosen's article in the Washington Post has a lot of information, including the details on the case Alito was involved in.

onlyairfare Jan 6, 2011 10:01 am

Jon, thank you so much for all you have done. And especially for the "Notes" you have posted. That is now linked at several internet sites I visit frequently, so my friends appreciate this too.

littlesheep Jan 6, 2011 10:05 am

Forty people????

That's very depressing.