Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Secondary search for U.S. bound flight.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

No Secondary search for U.S. bound flight.

Last month I flew Madrid - U.S., and there was no secondary screening for the U.S. bound flights. I've come to expect the second security check line at the gate, or to the concourse where U.S. bound flights are housed.

I went through standard screening at Barajas, then made my way to passport control (in front of gates B and C) then down the long hall to the A gates where U.S. bound flights depart from Terminals 2 and 3.

I don't want to say the airline and flight info, because the crew at the gate and air were superb, and I frankly don't feel the need to do the secondary liquid search. It was a nice surprise not having the TSA's foreign counterparts rifling through my stuff at the gate.

This was my first international flight since April of 2010. Is this the norm? Or an anomaly?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:48 pm

I have never had secondary screening on US bound flights from Europe, although many here report having such. I have had a quick verbal 'interview' consisting of just a few quick questions, but not a physical search.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:48 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There has not been secondary screening for US-bound flights for transfer passengers originating Schengen at several other airports for a while, so I imagine MAD made the switch though I have never been there.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Did they drop the secondary searches even at Frankfurt? That would be welcome news! I had no idea.

Bruce
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Good to know thanks.

In Amsterdam 2008 I remember quite the production of being coralled into the gate area and the tables set up and bags checked one by one.

In travels to Mexico (throughout 09-10) and Argentina (2009) the second searches occurred, so I fully expected it from Europe.

edit to add: I had the short interview departing AMS, but not from MUC (07) or just recently from MAD
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:05 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Did they drop the secondary searches even at Frankfurt? That would be welcome news! I had no idea.
You can walk up from the A-Schengen gates to the A-Non-Schengen gates (where some flights to the USA depart) by going through passport control only. It has been that way for a while now.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:07 pm

Shannon to the USA a few weeks ago. Secondary screening was in full force
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Shannon to the USA a few weeks ago. Secondary screening was in full force
Shannon might be different; for one thing, it isn't Schengen, so whatever arrangement FRA and MUC have going on might not apply in Shannon.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by exbayern
I have never had secondary screening on US bound flights from Europe, although many here report having such. I have had a quick verbal 'interview' consisting of just a few quick questions, but not a physical search.
There was no secondary flying on LH from FRA to the US in September. The flight still departed from a separate area that was clearly configured for secondary screening (metal detectors and line markers etc.) and there was an extra boarding pass check to enter the area.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:26 pm

FRA has checks to enter the gate area even for non-US bound flights.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Here was my last experience in FRA, last March: There was -- and still is -- the regular security checkpoint, which everyone must pass. Then, all U.S.-bound flights departed from a group of far-distant gates with their own, second security check-point. The gates themselves had no additional security.

Has that changed since March 2010?

Bruce
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by exbayern
FRA has checks to enter the gate area even for non-US bound flights.
Sorry, I'm confused. I've never had a separate boarding card check (other than going to the US) when transferring in FRA, even transferring between A&B?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by neko
Sorry, I'm confused. I've never had a separate boarding card check (other than going to the US) when transferring in FRA, even transferring between A&B?
Most recently I transferred at FRA on the way to the UK and they checked passports and boarding passes (it was a bus gate) and when I went through they were grilling some non-EU passengers who had given vague answers.

I've had to show my boarding pass and passport at the gate entrance for many flights. They will clear out the gate area seating, and then do a check when everyone enters (or reenters)
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Here was my last experience in FRA, last March: There was -- and still is -- the regular security checkpoint, which everyone must pass. Then, all U.S.-bound flights departed from a group of far-distant gates with their own, second security check-point. The gates themselves had no additional security.

Has that changed since March 2010?

Bruce
I was through FRA in June and October and had exactly the same experience. Granted, I did leave from the RCC, so I don't know if I bypassed the efficient German frisking station or not. Heck, I don't even remember being asked the dumb questions.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 4:40 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I was through FRA in June and October and had exactly the same experience. Granted, I did leave from the RCC, so I don't know if I bypassed the efficient German frisking station or not. Heck, I don't even remember being asked the dumb questions.
Leaving from C pier, I think there is an extra checkpoint.

Leaving from A pier, I believe there is not.

Having gone through the FCL/B the last time I was there and the FCT the time before, I can't say that my knowledge is especially current.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.