Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WOW...The Pat Down Has Actually Gotten Worse

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:57 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
I'm in. I was in, the minute this Nude-o-Scope/Sexual Grope scandal hit the news. (But I have the luxury of dictating the time and place of my work.)
But for those trying to see loved ones, especially during critical or significant times (big holidays, big illnesses, and such) it's a lot harder. For those whose employment requires travel, it's a lot harder. What has been foisted upon us leaves such folks no good options.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
I've been following this civil, erudite discussion with keen interest.

If at this point I may interject a question, put with respect:

How is the TSO who just "does his job," personally distasteful as it may be to him, different than the FF who goes through the nude-o-scope or opts for an "enhanced patdown"--knowing that both options are violations of the Fourth Amendment--because he wants to get where he's going today?
Interesting point.

There is the school of thought that opting out and having a public groping serves the purpose of helping to show the public an abusive government that they would otherwise ignore. Think of the picture of the Denver crotch grabber.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
How is the TSO who just "does his job," personally distasteful as it may be to him, different than the FF who goes through the nude-o-scope or opts for an "enhanced patdown"--knowing that both options are violations of the Fourth Amendment--because he wants to get where he's going today?
Assuming this isn't a thinly veiled "don't like it, don't fly" canard, the important difference is that the passengers are not (arguably) violating the screeners rights nor are they (arguably) assaulting them, electronically or physically.

Several have posted here that they have quit or at lest severely curtailed flying. Haven't seen a post from a screener announcing they have quit. Yet ?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
so, um, i was going to respond to this thread with my own recent pat-down experience, but having read through the thread to this point i'm not sure it would still be considered on topic.

suffice it to say, i have a new girlfriend. she works for the tsa and her name is daphne. when she grabbed the side of my breasts, mr kk said 'easy there, tex!' and she responded 'i'm just doing my job, sir.' i should have asked for her number when she was finished. i did insist on her changing gloves.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by karenkay
when she grabbed the side of my breasts, mr kk said 'easy there, tex!' and she responded 'i'm just doing my job, sir.'
Any reports of moobs (man breasts) being grabbed?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by Lowcountry70
Any reports of moobs (man breasts) being grabbed?
not from mr kk, anyway. in this case--we were at YEG, so i'm assuming these were canadian agents working for the tsa--they did NOT go up his leg or mine until they 'met resistance' and there was no finger inserted into anyone's waistband. the boob grope--in between and on the sides--was a bit more than was necessary, imho, especially since i don't wear a bra, and wasn't wearing a baggy shirt: clearly wasn't hiding anything there.

i did find it troubling that we were selected for the 'full search' line, especially when one of the screeners asked mr kk 'why are you in this line?' and he said 'my wife was selected, and i'm traveling with her.' what, was he in the 'cute girl line' by mistake?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A bit of TSA Humor published yesterday, by Wiley:

Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by TXagogo
Am I the only one noticing that lately there have been numerous "new" members on here with very few posts who are jumping into these discussions with a highly pro scanner, pro-security viewpoint?

Some of them may be legitimate but I am beginning to wonder if the TSA folks are recruiting their friends/colleag -I mean-work buds to come on here and create an illusion that there is a huge network of people passionately against us.

Personally, I am very cautious about whom I respond to based on number of posts until I have a good feeling for the validity of the poster.
Yes, yes and YES. I've noticed this too. The most pro-TSA, pro-grope, pro-sacrifice-anything-for-safety crowd has relatively few posts. To me, this is highly suspect.

I'm a neophyte as well (under 100 posts) but I came to this site after suffering a most egregious "gate rape" in ATL and even though I don't say much, I check the posts here at FT each and every day. It's such a sweet blessed relief to know I'm not the only one who thinks the TSA is pure theater with no tangible security benefit and is nothing more than a massive "make-work" billion-dollar boondoggle for America's most unemployable and pitiful people.

And if I posted what I really thought of TSA, I'd be violating forum rules and a few Sunday School rules, too.

Rose The Newbie
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:29 am

Do we even know for sure that the "TSO who just does his job even though distasteful" is more than wishful thinking? After all, it isn't the TSO's junk being fondled. Its an asymmetrical situation. The rapist and rape victim can never be equated. To hint at an equation is distasteful and insulting to intelligence.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta, United
Just watched a gentlemen get a pat down. Not sure of why other than the WTMD alarmed. Anywho as the TSO patted down the PAX's crotch region he turned his head and coughed. Not sure if on purpose or not but it was funny to me.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Do we even know for sure that the "TSO who just does his job even though distasteful" is more than wishful thinking? After all, it isn't the TSO's junk being fondled. Its an asymmetrical situation. The rapist and rape victim can never be equated. To hint at an equation is distasteful and insulting to intelligence.
Well put.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Just watched a gentlemen get a pat down. Not sure of why other than the WTMD alarmed. Anywho as the TSO patted down the PAX's crotch region he turned his head and coughed. Not sure if on purpose or not but it was funny to me.
Outstanding!!!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1P
I've been following this civil, erudite discussion with keen interest.

If at this point I may interject a question, put with respect:

I'm trying to parse your question: are you asking what's the difference as each member (TSO and FF) is participating in what can be recognized as a violation of the Fourth Amendment?

If that's the case, the difference is actions, the TSO is doing the violating, while the FF is being violated. The FF is only in that situation because they wish to fly and the TSA has mandated that the only way the FF can do so is if they give up some measure of their Fourth Amendment rights. The FF did not seek out a TSO and demand to either be scanned or patted down, they just wanted to fly on a commercial plane. The TSO's Fourth Amendment rights have not been violated.

A corollary, what's the difference between a peaceful protester who is threatened with arrest for protesting in a non-violent manner and is not trespassing or causing a disturbance (think person with a sign on a street corner) and the government agent (ie Law Enforcement officer) who threatens the arrest? Are you saying that if the protester decides to stop protesting because they are afraid of jail regardless of whether or not they have the First Amendment right to be there is just as wrong as the government agent as they are now both engaged in something that violates the First Amendment?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
I've postulated the view in other threads that, in most cases, we have the upper hand. Every time a screener touches a passenger, they have no idea how that passenger will react. They don't know if the person is a sheeple and will submit (and maybe even thank them for feeling safe), someone who will say sexually suggestive things about touching genitals, someone who will call them a pervert or otherwise insult them, or someone who will cold-cock them. The thread with the article about screeners feeling like victims, I believe, is a good source of evidence. It was a huge shock to the screener workforce for them to find out up close & personal that a growing number of passengers they encounter don't like them, their agency, or what they are doing to passengers. The downside to this will be the bill we will all pay for mental health benefits, phychological counseling, and anti-depressents to screeners who develop mental illness on the job.

I don't discount for a nanosecond the real trauma which sexual abuse victims experience when they are groped at a checkpoint. Legalism aside, the only opinion about whether or not the groping is sexual abuse/assault is the passenger's. We've got to continue this fight in the courts and at the checkpoints for them if nothing else.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by JennyElf
I'm trying to parse your question: are you asking what's the difference as each member (TSO and FF) is participating in what can be recognized as a violation of the Fourth Amendment?

If that's the case, the difference is actions, the TSO is doing the violating, while the FF is being violated. The FF is only in that situation because they wish to fly and the TSA has mandated that the only way the FF can do so is if they give up some measure of their Fourth Amendment rights. The FF did not seek out a TSO and demand to either be scanned or patted down, they just wanted to fly on a commercial plane. The TSO's Fourth Amendment rights have not been violated.

A corollary, what's the difference between a peaceful protester who is threatened with arrest for protesting in a non-violent manner and is not trespassing or causing a disturbance (think person with a sign on a street corner) and the government agent (ie Law Enforcement officer) who threatens the arrest? Are you saying that if the protester decides to stop protesting because they are afraid of jail regardless of whether or not they have the First Amendment right to be there is just as wrong as the government agent as they are now both engaged in something that violates the First Amendment?
I find this a very worthy contribution. Thank you, JennyElf.

I asked the question as an intellectual exercise; I hope you read it as such.

To explicate a bit: Personally, I am incensed at this whole insane Theater of the Simply Absurd. And in protest, and putting my money where my mouth is, I will never fly again commercially. But my heart goes out to those who must, for whatever reason, continue to fly.

As for those who have no such pressing need but continue to fly, saying, "Well, that's just what we have to put up with," I am asking if, morally, they are not in the same position as those who continue employment with an abusive agency, telling themselves, "Well, that's what we have to put up with."

At some point, is not the obligation upon the customer/employee to say, "I've had enough"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.