Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Josh Duhamel booted for Blackberrying while taxiing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Josh Duhamel booted for Blackberrying while taxiing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: OnePass
I'd really like to see the scientific proof that any electronic device "interferes" with the nav system of a modern airplane.

That said, he still should have followed the rules and I don't blame the airline for booting him, no matter who he was.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: AC*E, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by mikemey
I'd really like to see the scientific proof that any electronic device "interferes" with the nav system of a modern airplane.

That said, he still should have followed the rules and I don't blame the airline for booting him, no matter who he was.
It doesn't....

Radio interference is more probable. I have had interference from my cell phone on VHF comms during flights on GA aircraft.

Considering the VHF comms on commercial aircraft are basically no different to my little Cessna I can see the concern.

I think the industry feels they have to 'big up' the effects to scare passengers into complying.

Besides, the day they allow cell calls throughout the flight is the day I quit flying. Its bad enough in the airport these days with 'johnny bluetooth' and the 'my job is so important everyone deserves to hear my conversation' attitude.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by GlennH
It doesn't....

Radio interference is more probable. I have had interference from my cell phone on VHF comms during flights on GA aircraft.

Considering the VHF comms on commercial aircraft are basically no different to my little Cessna I can see the concern.

I think the industry feels they have to 'big up' the effects to scare passengers into complying.

Besides, the day they allow cell calls throughout the flight is the day I quit flying. Its bad enough in the airport these days with 'johnny bluetooth' and the 'my job is so important everyone deserves to hear my conversation' attitude.
Oh its not so much the cell I wanna use (I agree 100%, its nice to not hear cell conversations on the plane), but the fact that once I get on a plane, I just wanna plug in and tune out until I reach my destination. (Federal safety briefings excluded - I know they'd make us listen to that regardless)

You cannot tell mey my litte ipod causes THAT much problems.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier

You cannot tell mey my litte ipod causes THAT much problems.
Yep! Airbus and Boeing released airplanes that a terrorist could knock out of teh sky by using a GameBoy!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:25 pm

Hey, I think airlines are doing people a FAVOR with the policies prohibiting use. Americans are WAY too addicted to these "connectivity toys". They should thank God there's a time in their lives when they are made to detach for a while.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
Yep! Airbus and Boeing released airplanes that a terrorist could knock out of teh sky by using a GameBoy!
Don't you remember to play the GameBoy? So I am no longer playing the GameBoy. So that's why I was unable to play the GameBoy.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Interesting. I see people doing it ALL THE TIME but never getting kicked off.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:29 am

It's not even the whole flight, the rule is in place during "critical phases of flight includes all ground operations involving taxi, takeoff and landing, and all other flight operations conducted below 10,000 feet, except cruise flight. If you can't bothered to be without your little gadget for 10 minutes each way...

Here is what Patrick Smith has to say about phones and PEDs: (note the fact that he's an advocate of making passengers listen to emergency instructions)
http://www.askthepilot.com/index.php?s=safety+#cX-q11
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:59 am

Further media reports say Duhamel was asked and told REPEATEDLY to shut it off, and he just laughed at it. He was deplaned as an "unruly passenger". I don't know if it was the captain's decision, but I'd say if he (or she) wanted Duhamel off the plane, everyone should support that decision. Regardless of the science of wireless devices, the crew is responsible for the lives on board, and if they convey their wishes to a passenger and just get laughed at and ignored, I'm 100 percent behind their ejecting any passenger.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:08 am

It probably doesn't, but it certainly has the capability to cause interference. When I have my cellphone near my telephone or my computer speakers or other things with a speaker, I can often hear it do it's "poll". I don't think the concern is one cellphone per se, but what dozens of various devices might do with all the various harmonics that might be generated.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
It probably doesn't, but it certainly has the capability to cause interference. When I have my cellphone near my telephone or my computer speakers or other things with a speaker, I can often hear it do it's "poll". I don't think the concern is one cellphone per se, but what dozens of various devices might do with all the various harmonics that might be generated.
But how hard would that be to prove and settle the issue? They could have done this eons ago. When I first started flying back in the 60's or 70's, there was some precursor of this. With all that time to do it, how could they NOT come up with proof that would satisfy all fliers?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
But how hard would that be to prove and settle the issue? They could have done this eons ago. When I first started flying back in the 60's or 70's, there was some precursor of this. With all that time to do it, how could they NOT come up with proof that would satisfy all fliers?
What do they gain by jumping through the hoops to prove it? The vast majority of people blindly accept the conclusion, and surveys show that most people prefer that cell phones be disallowed on planes anyway. Besides, it's near impossible to make a phone call in the flight levels anyway (I know from experience). So why would you invest money in research when you have nothing to gain from it?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
But how hard would that be to prove and settle the issue?
Absolutely impossible, given the number of different possible electronic devices at each various seat location. And you'd have to redo the test when even the slightest change was made to the aircraft's electronics, including such minor things as rerouting cables. And if you finished, you'd only have done the certification for the electronic devices that existed at the time it was done. It'd be completely hopeless to "prove" any such thing.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Scientific proof..

Scientific proof may not exist but I don't want to risk my life because you want to reach out and someone or shut out the world or text someone. There are reasons why scientific prrof may not exits, a) no one has tested it, b) no one has tested it under ideal conditions, c) no one has tested it when several users try to use their devices at once, d) not all kinds of devices could be tested; there may be devices that could affect the flight, e) people might bring home made electronic devices or devices that couldn't be tested in advance, and many others.
I don't think that any agency would create a rule deliberately to annoy passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.