Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

The rights of Canadians (or any non-U.S. citizen) at TSA checkpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The rights of Canadians (or any non-U.S. citizen) at TSA checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb The rights of Canadians (or any non-U.S. citizen) at TSA checkpoints

Hello everyone. Loooong time lurker, first time poster. I love this site and appreciate the mountains of wisdom and useful information that so many have provided here.

Quick background: I work for a mid-sized international company and fly about 10-12 times a year. Our head office is in Vancouver B.C. and I fly half the time in North America, the other half in Hong Kong and China. I'm certainly not an inexperienced flyer although I'm a lightweight compared to some of the Super Elite etc. people here.

The recent fury over TSA practices has brought something to mind. I and my two children are Canadian citizens. My wife is a dual U.S./Canada. She's also a very lithe and attractive 30 yr old. I've been building up a head of steam over the abuses that some TSOs have been inflicting on "hot" girls and women, and I'm ready to demand that I witness any pat-downs involving my wife or kids, also to be recorded on my cell phone.

But it dawns on me that I'm not a U.S. citizen. Although my wife has a hell of a backbone and has no problem tearing any abusive TSO a new orifice, I think her status as a citizen gives her the ability to do so without fear. While I normally wouldn't worry about this for myself, we do have two little kids and I don't want to end up detained in some cell because I asserted what I thought were my rights. So I guess I'm asking: What "rights" do Canadians have at a TSA checkpoint? While I have no fear of TSOs, they ARE backed up by airport police, and I'm not sure I'd want to get into a "legal discussion" with an actual peace officer without some idea of what they can and can't do to me.

In Canada the RCMP have "Breach of the Peace" as a catch-all to arrest and detain anyone causing a fuss, although the fuss DOES have to be a big one. IOW I think a U.S. citizen could harshly question any CATSA officer caught abusing their powers without fear of legal repercussions. But I must also add that IANAL.

Anyhow, any insight on the question above would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:56 am

The U.S. Constitution acknowledges that all people have certain unalienable rights and forbids the U.S. Government from infringing upon those rights. These protections are not reserved for U.S. citizens.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
You have the same rights as any US Citizen at the checkpoint. There are only a few rights reserved for citizens, such as the right to vote.

The only thing that could complicate it is if law enforcement became involved, and someone was in the country illegally, or had a warrant for their arrest. Even so, you would still have the right to an attorney, trial by jury, etc. the same as any US Citizen if it came to an actual arrest. Attempting to fly while Canadian is not an arrestable offense.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:10 am

I'm wondering the reverse - can you call your consulate for assistance?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:20 am

I'm guessing that '' tearing an abusive TSO a new orifice'' will result in a ''Do you want to fly today?'', canadians or not?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:58 am

Sadly, I think the OP has just as FEW rights as we native-born Americans. Welcome to the "club". Should help you resist any temptation to come here permanently.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:59 am

It should be painfully obvious by now to all reading this forum that you have no "rights". You have only the illusion of Constitutional rights. As for non-citizens having the same "rights" as citizens, tell that to the guys at gitmo.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by FlyingCowboy
You have only the illusion of Constitutional rights.
Without agreeing or disagreeing that our rights are illusions: We don't have Constitutional rights, we have Constitutional protections against government infringement on our inalienable rights. The U.S. Constitution doesn't grant rights; it acknowledges them and sets limits on the power of our government.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:18 pm

My concern would be ending up with a banned from the US designation.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE
Maybe the OP is mixing CBP and the TSA?

As a Canadian, I have no concerns at all about having an assertive and firm attitude with the TSA. Neither should the OP. Feel free to opt out, ask for a change of gloves and demand that your items remain in your sight at all times.

CBP on the other hand have the ability to make you have a very bad day. The onus is on you to prove your non-immigrant intent every time you enter the USA. I suggest that you be polite with CBP at all times.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: M&M, AA GLD, FB
Originally Posted by fly-yul
CBP on the other hand have the ability to make you have a very bad day. The onus is on you to prove your non-immigrant intent every time you enter the USA. I suggest that you be polite with CBP at all times.
That's also my worry. TSA & CBP are brothers from one mother, the DHS. If someone is REALLY troublesome ("don't touch my junk" level) to the TSA (and is a non-citizen), what are you willing to bet that the CBP will also find out about it?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by littlesheep
I'm wondering the reverse - can you call your consulate for assistance?
Originally Posted by FlyingCowboy
It should be painfully obvious by now to all reading this forum that you have no "rights". You have only the illusion of Constitutional rights. As for non-citizens having the same "rights" as citizens, tell that to the guys at gitmo.
I think being Canadian may well work to your advantage. If Gitmo detainees are now getting civil rights and full due process, that puts them one step above Americans who have to follow unwritten secret rules, 'cooperate fully' with an intrusive government agency performing random unreasonable searches, or risk being deprived of their airline tickets (property).

Once you make it through Customs, I would think you're safe to be assertive with TSA. If they give you any hassle, or threaten to detain or arrest you, I would think they would back down if you asked for a representative from the Canadian Embassy. They know they're right on (if not over) the edge of a lot of US laws - I don't think they want to move this to the international stage.

Originally Posted by TamCaP
That's also my worry. TSA & CBP are brothers from one mother, the DHS. If someone is REALLY troublesome ("don't touch my junk" level) to the TSA (and is a non-citizen), what are you willing to bet that the CBP will also find out about it?
I disagree. TSA doesn't recognize ID provided by CBP (e.g. Nexus). As long as you don't break the law, can the US deny entry to a Canadian citizen without violating treaties?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:25 pm

Since Americans have no rights, I fail to understand the question...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: M&M, AA GLD, FB
Originally Posted by janetdoe
I disagree. TSA doesn't recognize ID provided by CBP (e.g. Nexus). As long as you don't break the law, can the US deny entry to a Canadian citizen without violating treaties?
IANAL and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn, but I am pretty sure a CBP officer can deny entry to any visa holder pretty easily, claiming intent to immigrate, fraud, or what else.

I am also not sure about the treaties are you mentioning, as I am not very familiar with the US/Canada immigration agreements. However, I would presume that the right to refuse entry to non-citizens would be one of those things that any independent country would be very hesitant to give up easily.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by TamCaP
IANAL and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn, but I am pretty sure a CBP officer can deny entry to any visa holder pretty easily, claiming intent to immigrate, fraud, or what else.

I am also not sure about the treaties are you mentioning, as I am not very familiar with the US/Canada immigration agreements. However, I would presume that the right to refuse entry to non-citizens would be one of those things that any independent country would be very hesitant to give up easily.
I'm not familiar with the law here, either. I'm just guessing that rules for visas and immigration policy are well documented in treaties or agreements between Departments of State.

Here is a site that gives more details.
Eligibility

To qualify for the Visa Waiver Program, you must:

* Intend to enter the U.S. for 90 days or less for business or pleasure.
* ALL VWP travelers must carry passports that are machine-readable and valid for six months beyond the intended visit unless the applicant's country is part of the "six month club". See here for details
* Passports issued between October 26, 2005 and October 26, 2006 must contain a digitized photograph of the bearer to be eligible for entry under the VWP.
* Passports issued after October 26, 2006 must be e-passports - that is, include an integrated computer chip in order to be eligible for entry under the VWP.
* Be a national of the VWP country that issued your passport.
* Be cleared by the ESTA system. (see below) waived for Canadians
* Have a return trip ticket.
o This requirement is waived in the case of travelers arriving at a land border.
* Not pose a safety threat to the United States.
* Not have failed to comply with the conditions of any previous admission under the visa waiver program.
* Convince the examining immigration officer that you are clearly and beyond a doubt entitled to be admitted and that you are not inadmissible under section 212 of the Act, and
* Waive any right to challenge an immigration officer's decision as to your admissibility, other than on the basis of an application for asylum.
Of course, "not pose a safety threat to the United States" may allow some latitude for the TSA.

Last edited by janetdoe; Dec 1, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.