Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

This will leave you in tears - or certainly ought to

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This will leave you in tears - or certainly ought to

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by Umi206
My point is why would anyone with serious medical conditions WANT to travel long distances (by air, car, train, bus) unless absolutely necessary and a vacation by air is NOT a necessity for anyone.
Five simple words:

It's none of your business!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by LostInParadise

Wow. Simply, wow. If this idea somehow represents the majority thinking sweeping America right now, it speaks better than I ever could about why I chose the title for this thread.

I truly am heading out to the gutter to throw up.
I have been wondering why there is not more public outrage towards these stories which can easily be found with a few minutes of googling, and which I have linked here recently.

But you may be on to something.

'She/he got what she/he deserved because she/he was stupid/selfish enough to travel whilst ill/injured/disabled/old'

This thread is making me feel sick to my stomach as well...
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
I have been wondering why there is not more public outrage towards these stories which can easily be found with a few minutes of googling, and which I have linked here recently.

But you may be on to something.

'She/he got what she/he deserved because she/he was stupid/selfish enough to travel whilst ill/injured/disabled/old'

This thread is making me feel sick to my stomach as well...
Many people just dont want to belive all these horror stories.
Some dont have computers and others have but really have no clue how to search the web.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Five simple words:

It's none of your business!
^^^

Absolutely!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tanja
Many people just dont want to belive all these horror stories.
Yeah. It's much easier to stick your head in the sand than admit there is a *BIG* problem in this country that has to be dealt with.

We see the same thing with conservatives and unemployment. We see it with liberals and Islamist terrorism. I'm sure others can add plenty more to the list--it's human nature.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

I've cried repeatedly throughout this thread and felt great outrage at what happened to LeeAnne and her mother. ...
Umi206: Accepting what you say above as sincere, I'm trying very hard to give you the benefit of the doubt and appeal to your better reason. I note that you make no reference to the questions I have suggested about my own grandmother. I'm very interested in your response to my personal situation:

Her sole remaining joy in the days she has left is spending time with her family.

Don't anyone DARE suggest to me that she somehow has less of a GOD GIVEN RIGHT to pursue her life, liberty and happiness!

Do you hear that, TSA??? It's a GOD GIVEN RIGHT, not one that is somehow granted by a government THUG who might or might not feel like it today.

It is truly a SICKNESS spreading across this land that anyone might suggest my grandmother, after 92 years of making her contribution to this great country, should somehow sit home and die...
I have already explained that a relative always travels to accompany her on the trips which give her almost her only reason to live: Visiting her family. Now, however, we fear how these nasty gropings might affect her already fragile state.

So, Umi206, let me put it as directly as I can: Are you telling us that my grandmother should now sit in her assisted-care home for whatever time she has left -- and simply die?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
There is probably a dissertation in examining exactly why there isn't more of an outrage, but let's just face a fact about Americans and America today.

American's are woefully petrified of death. We treat it as the ultimate evil. A great number of people in this country would rather be subjugated under a malevolent dictator than face the minuscule risk of dying on an airplane due to a terrorist bomb. Meanwhile, they are more than happy to text on their smartphones while driving 80 mph in their cars in the pouring rain.

Such is the American psyche right now.

Darned if I know how we as a nation became so soft.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:21 pm

So, Umi206, let me put it as directly as I can: Are you telling us that my grandmother should now sit in her assisted-care home for whatever time she has left -- and simply die?
She's not going to come back, because if she has any basic human reasoning powers at all, she knows full well that her position is nonsensical, cruel, and utterly unsupportable. If I'd posted something so downright silly, I wouldn't want to show back up in the thread either.

Keep in mind, this is the person who thinks that it makes sense to tell ME that I'm "OUT OF LINE" for taking my mother on the trips that bring her the greatest joy in her life, as a thank-you for being a wonderful mother. All because Umi206 wouldn't want to do it herself - completely disregarding the fact that my mother DOES want to do it. Apparently it makes some sort of warped sense to Umi that if SHE doesn't want to do something, neither should anyone else...and therefore, the fact that a government agency is making it near impossible for others to do it is of no concern, because hey, Umi wouldn't want to do it, so neither should we, so why should we care what TSA is doing! Right?

Sorry, but anyone who would say that is just...well, not operating with all circuits in working order. You can't reason with someone like that. So I'm not even going to try.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:21 pm
RVP

I've cried repeatedly throughout this thread and felt great outrage at what happened to LeeAnne and her mother. There is something though in all this that I can't understand. Why would a 74 year old woman with so many medical problems want to take a vacation out of the country (I think earlier LeeAnne said they were returning from outside the USA) particularly with the TSA situation even before the latest actions and the nudoscopes? I'm younger than LeeAnne's mother (67) and I HATE traveling by air or even by car. I cannot imagine wanting to take a trip like what LeeAnne described at my age and I don't have a lot of medical problems. But I am a realistic person. The time for lengthy, exhausting trips is when you are young and if you couldn't go then because of finances, whatever, that is not a good reason to go in your elder hood unless you have no medical problems and are a bundle of energy with every one thinking you are 10-15 years younger than you really are. It is not the end of the world to not travel extensively in your elder hood. I think elderly folks with considerable medical problems, or just extreme old age (over 85), would be wise to travel (especially by air) only when medically necessary, or because of a death, marriage, etc. in the family. Otherwise, being at home is much nicer than hassling with airports and the awful crap that comes with any kind of air travel even before TSA. I canceled what would have been my only trip to Europe when I was in my 50's but had a temporary problem with urinary urgency. It was the prudent thing to do. I wouldn't dream of taking a long plane flight in my 70's if I had a urinary incontinence problem (like LeeAnne's mom) unless it was necessary for medical reasons and I felt that way before TSA and now....well, traveling now for a "vacation" is ludicrous. Drive to somewhere nice that is nearby or simply enjoy being able to be at home doing simple things you like to do.

I regret that I moved to Hawaii many, many years ago because now I am faced with frequent flying (short trips at least) for medical reasons. Had I any sense when I was younger I would have avoided Hawaii as Honolulu is nowhere one would want to live (except when young and single) and living on the more sparsely populated, less expensive, quieter and more lovely neighbor islands (particularly the Big Island) necessitates flying to Honolulu frequently in one's elder hood for medical reasons. (Of course, I had no way of predicting the future back then and it never occurred to me that our mayor would find it necessary to declare the county of Hawaii in medical emergency a few years ago with no hope of ever rectifying the situation. When I hear about my neighbors having to fly to Oahu for heart surgery, cancer surgery, etc and all the problems that involves, I get scared that I will face that too one day. I had to fly eight times in this past year, all for medical reasons, and have to fly again next week, and then again early next year, for medical reasons (and these were not/are not for serious, chronic health problems but simply medical issues for which we have no doctors on the Big Island where we have a critical shortage of physicians and that is expected to get much worse in the next ten years).

It seems to me that an elderly person who is beginning to show signs of senility along with having many other medical problems should not be encouraged to take long trips by air. The air quality on a long trip is very poor and is a cesspool for transmitting diseases and an elderly person with chronic medical problems is a sitting duck for this sort of thing. Plus, there is the circulation issue where an elderly person should be up and moving for at least 5 minutes every hour to avoid blood clots in the legs on long trips and someone with a cane, bad hip, etc is foolish to take long trips unless medically necessary.

I certainly would not wish to be far away from my home and have some medical emergency. So, I can't figure out why LeeAnne's mom would want to do all this pleasure traveling at her age and with her medical problems. I no longer fly to see my Mom way off in the Deep South and she is too old (late 90's) to fly way out here. She strongly discourages me to fly to see her. She is outraged by what she reads about TSA and does not want me to have to go through that (flying to Honolulu at least there are no nudoscopes yet). Much as I would like to see my mom, the last trip there several years ago was awful (even then TSA was terrible to passengers and it was humiliating to fly even then), and I don't have the problems LeaAnne's mom has, so I really can't understand Mom being so willing to go through such awful stuff for a "vacation".
With all due respect Umi, and I'm not going to get into the gist of your post, but you're posting this on a TRAVEL FORUM, for people who are most likely frequent travelers!

Think about it.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by RVP
With all due respect Umi, and I'm not going to get into the gist of your post, but you're posting this on a TRAVEL FORUM, for people who are most likely frequent travelers!

Think about it.
Or were frequent travelers until the TSA Thugs chased them off...
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:54 pm
RVP

Darned if I know how we as a nation became so soft.
Apathy.

I never thought I'd look back to the 60-70's in fondness.

But until Americans shut off the da*n television and really understand what's going on in this country, it will remain the same. Apathy.

And LeeAnne, I've followed this thread and I'm sorry about what happened to you and your mother.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by RVP
Apathy.

I never thought I'd look back to the 60-70's in fondness.

But until Americans shut off the da*n television and really understand what's going on in this country, it will remain the same. Apathy.

And LeeAnne, I've followed this thread and I'm sorry about what happened to you and your mother.
There was a documentary on the other day about the Yippies and I thought the same thing. Why don't people protest things they don't like anymore?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ANB614
There was a documentary on the other day about the Yippies and I thought the same thing. Why don't people protest things they don't like anymore?
Americans would but they are....

OMG!!! Look at the new iPad!!!

Shiny!!!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by ANB614
those that protest the Govt are met with extreme force. Sound cannons, bean bag guns, tear gas, pepper spray. They are told to disperse by the police and they they have no 'right' to protest.

Look at the RNC and DNC protests over the past 5 years. Many arrested on frivolous charges. the police attempting to turn a peaceful protest into a violent protest...the list goes on and on. If you get a large group of people in a public area, and use a megafone to speak your mind your chances of being harassed by the govt goes up exponentially. The Govt doesnt want people to protest... and it uses extreme force to quell protesters.

It doesnt help that the main stream propaganda machine, aka the news, VASTLY under reports large protests... Like the one in Washington DC where reports by the media pegged the total people in attendance at about 100,000 when NON US news outlets were pegging the SAME crowd at over 500,000.

This is to make it seem like protesting isnt a viable option.

Just look at how a person is deemed racist, if they dont like Obama.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.