Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ORDflyer
Are you implying I made this all up to make China look bad?
I don't think she was implying that at all. But, it seems that many of us strongly prefer the Chinese approach to airport security over the current US version. I've been searched at the gate before, had water confiscated, and have also been felt up pretty thoroughly. But, for reasons that I'm unable to pinpoint at this hour, I've never been bothered by any of the security practices that take place over there (bearing in mind that some of the more intrusive ones only apply to US bound flights).

Building on my earlier point, my general sense is that the front line people in China tend to have positive attitudes, for the most part.

I feel compelled to qualify the above by stating that air travel in China is no picnic if we broaden our scope beyond the security issue. Even with Boston style "pat downs", the US system works better on the whole.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: UA PE, ICH Plat, Hyatt Plat
PVG is my home away from SFO. I fly through there, US-bound on United, very often.

I have seen the security check at the gate, but they don't seem to harass first/business class passengers much -- I don't know how it gets when the rest of the plane boards. One time they asked to look in my bag (I travel with a laptop/backpack). They asked me to open it and show them -- didn't even want to touch it or poke around inside. Only wanted the main pocket, didn't care about the rest of the pockets. They asked me if I had any water -- I said no, and they said "have a nice flight".

I actually prefer the WTMD screening at PVG to what they have in the US. The metal detector is in a cubical so only one or two people is in it at a time. They don't rush you (quite the opposite), they speak English, and they don't make you take off all of your outer clothes or shoes. In the US, I'm always trying to grab my multiple bins and negotiate sliding them down the tables while also partially undressing and removing my laptop, cell, etc.

It's China, you keep your eyes down and look obedient and demure and they don't give you a second look.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: DL,EK
When departing Pyongyang, North Korea (a totalitarian state if there ever was one), brief passport/boarding pass check, shoes stay on, walk through the metal detector, no pat-down. All done in 30 seconds.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by ORDflyer
Didn't see anyone asserting their rights, because you don't have any.
Apparently we don't have any here, either.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:50 am

Have not been to China in three years, but suspect that the Chinese Police State has its system "down pat" unlike the emerging United Police States of America.

Give it time.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:00 am

Funny someone brings up a state like China and chooses to ignore the trend in America to be more LIKE China. Is this a case of not thinking the whole thing through? Who here wants to emigrate permanently to mainland China?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:35 am

Panda Hugger Alert

Originally Posted by jiejie
I actually like China. There is enormous economic freedom . . . .
ROTFLMAO!

Tell you what, ORDflyer, why don't you cash out your life savings, move to China, start a business in media or aluminium or air transport or any other field which is dominated by state corporations and then tell us all about the "enormous economic freedom" that exists in the PRC when private business threatens the Party's profits or monopolies.

(FWIW, I've never experienced the described security, either.)

Last edited by FLYGVA; Nov 25, 2010 at 1:46 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:37 am

The economic freedom is precisely what the Politburo decides it is. You operate within a fence they put up. If you like living in fenced areas, I can see how this would be very appealing.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Echoing everyone else here - I have been to PVG dozens of times over the last couple of years - never once had a problem with security or pat downs. Staff have always been exceptionally polite (and I do mean that).
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:01 am

In case anyone wonders, China has a "Muslim problem" too, in Central Asia. It just doesn't frighten them as much as us.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:02 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Echoing everyone else here - I have been to PVG dozens of times over the last couple of years - never once had a problem with security or pat downs. Staff have always been exceptionally polite (and I do mean that).
Agree. I've never had or known anyone who's had a problem with airport security in Hong Kong or China (so not true for the US - many people I know avoid going there).

That said, China is both a much poorer and more authoritarian country than the US or Europe, which considerably simplifies their airport security situation. The proportion of the Chinese population that can afford to travel by air is tiny and consists mostly of people who are already "checked out" by the government (as university students and then as mid-high level employees of the government and major companies). I don't think I'd want to try getting on a plane as a known dissident or an ethnic minority...

Similarly, the number of foreign visitors is also fairly small and they are subject to some level of scrutiny while in China.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:24 am

Similarly, the number of foreign visitors is also fairly small and they are subject to some level of scrutiny while in China
And the bottom line on this is?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:24 am

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
And the bottom line on this is?
Pretty much anyone getting on an airplane in China has already been subject to careful scrutiny of their personal history and political views, because being considered "politically reliable" is pretty much a requirement for having the kind of job/money that would allow someone to travel by air (or to be in the country).

I think China's lightweight airport security reflects a mix of common sense (^) and the extremely heavyweight security apparatus in other parts of society ().
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:19 am

So what you are saying is that China doesn't grant a visa without a thorough background check of the visitor? Really? They did that with all the people who came to the Beijing Olympics? Is there any hard evidence of this?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiejie
Don't go babbling about a "real totalitarian state"--I find a lot more professionalism and courtesy in Chinese airports than anywhere at USA ones. And you never get the "Do you want to fly today" crap and such. The US is a lot closer to a police state than it wants to believe, and has very little room to go bleating to others about human rights and civil rights.
Partially agreed. It is a totalitarian state but without the meaningless oppression that generally goes with totalitarian states. They'll stomp on you if you're a problem but if you don't anger them they don't cause you problems.

I do agree that they are a lot more professional about handling security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.