Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Opt-Outers being Jerks?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

I'm starting to sense more and more backlash over the Opt Out protest. One local talkshow host referred to protestors as "jerks" because they are, in effect, delaying or even making others miss flights and F up their reunion plans for Thanksgiving. A caller complained that in the fight against airline terrorism "when the going gets tough, the cowards get going," explaining that those who are protesting the security measures at airport are forgetting that they are just being whiners and are actually appeasing OBL and his terrorist followers. Another talkshow host (national host Michael Gallagher), while critical of TSA's new security measures, confided that he probably won't rock the boat in the TSA security line today during his travel. At any rate, it already looks like the Opt Out protest is largely media driven hype because reports are coming in that passengers are breezing through at SMF (Sacramento) in surprisingly efficient time.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:44 pm

The notion of any talk radio host calling anyone a jerk is pretty ironic.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:44 pm

TSA's really in a no-win situation today.

They've chosen to back off and let things run really smoothly - which I think was their best choice - assuming there were a bunch of travelers.

But since the travelers didn't show up - letting things run smoothly is a disaster for them - it highlights the fact that nobody is flying.

Now if they had taken the "hard azz" approach and backed everybody up, then the public might be angry with the opt outs, but the publicity would destroy them in the long run.

Lose lose for TSA. The writing is really on the wall now. They better go to plan B.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:46 pm

You are certainly welcome to your view. You can call people who disagree with you whatever you want, it doesn't make your argument any more valid.

Opt-Outs may have some very serious issues with the backscatter radiation, as well as legitimate privacy issues. There is a post from someone claiming to work on the machines who says they are not safe. Good luck if you work around them, perhaps in 20 years you will be part of a class action settlement. It seems from the reports in other threads that TSA is on its best behavior today. Maybe it should be extended to every day.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Surprisingly efficient time on a holiday, especially given TSA's general slowness, should tell you TSA was doing something quite differently today.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: WN A++, Marriott Plat, Avis 1
I've mentioned several times before that when I've opted out, they rope off the WBI machine behind me and begin moving everyone thru the WTMD while I'm getting the hands in the pants. The long security line starts moving very quickly with 6-8 people per minute being processed vs the 1-2 when WBI was the primary scanner.

Based on those experiences, I can say that opting out had a very positive effect on getting people moving through security quickly - it wasn't a problem for other passengers.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:30 pm

Opt-out is an, uh, option. They are fully within their rights to pick one of TSA's acceptable options.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Opt-Outers are being.....citizens with the freedom to choose.

Wish I could have flown today.
(Flew yesterday from PHL...all lanes were WTMDs.)
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:29 pm

No, the only people I think are jerks are trolls.

Generally speaking.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Nope-just exercising a right that we have had for some 200 plus years without fear of reprisal (tho some back in the 60's & 70's tried to get rid of that right and some in today's day and age want to do the same thing).
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Nope-just exercising a right that we have had for some 200 plus years without fear of reprisal (tho some back in the 60's & 70's tried to get rid of that right and some in today's day and age want to do the same thing).
^^

Citizen democracy at work... Its a right, not a privilege.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tailgater
I'm starting to sense more and more backlash over the Opt Out protest. One local talkshow host referred to protestors as "jerks" because they are, in effect, delaying or even making others miss flights and F up their reunion plans for Thanksgiving. A caller complained that in the fight against airline terrorism "when the going gets tough, the cowards get going," explaining that those who are protesting the security measures at airport are forgetting that they are just being whiners and are actually appeasing OBL and his terrorist followers. Another talkshow host (national host Michael Gallagher), while critical of TSA's new security measures, confided that he probably won't rock the boat in the TSA security line today during his travel. At any rate, it already looks like the Opt Out protest is largely media driven hype because reports are coming in that passengers are breezing through at SMF (Sacramento) in surprisingly efficient time.
SMF doesn't have scanners yet, but don't let that stop you.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Silver
As we've been referred to in another post about a supposed memo circulating around TSA and DHS, I prefer the title of "domestic extremist", not jerk.

I guess I just don't understand how standing up to big brother against something that could cause me unknown harm via radiation is being a jerk. It kind of goes back to my rebuttal to the folks who think those of us that are protesting should just not fly. If a pax is so concerned about delays and missing a holiday reunion, they're just as free to seek alternate forms of transportation.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by doober
SMF doesn't have scanners yet, but don't let that stop you.
Oh, dear.

That is going to leave a mark.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Oh, dear.

That is going to leave a mark.
Oops...

Cheer up, Tailgater, I can't opt out at my nearest airport, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.