Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA chief warns against boycott of airport scans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Silver

TSA chief warns against boycott of airport scans - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101123/...FjaGllZndhcm4-

ATLANTA – The nation's airport security chief pleaded with Thanksgiving travelers for understanding and urged them not to boycott full-body scans on Wednesday, lest their protest snarl what is already one of the busiest, most stressful flying days of the year.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:52 pm

Stressful for who, exactly? His TSA workers who file work comp because they're too fat to be lifting the bags they check?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am rapidly becoming of the opinion that John Pistole himself is becoming National Opt-Out Day's best promoter.

Seriously.

This man could not be doing it any worse to help his cause.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:58 pm

Some good thoughts on this from U. of Miami law professor Michael Froomkin:

The Point of Protest is to be Effective
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:58 pm

Let's see he's commanded, then begged, then warned, then apologized.

Maybe he should just shut up and do his job providing security while upholding the rights of Americans.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:02 pm

"Ricky D. McCoy, a TSA screener and president of a union local in Illinois and Wisconsin, said the atmosphere has changed in the past two weeks for officers in his region. Since word of the pat-downs hit the headlines, officers have been punched, pushed or shoved six times after they explained what would be happening, McCoy said."

Too bad. Sucks to be you, boo hoo hoo.

"The TSA said in a blog posting that nobody has to disrobe at an airport checkpoint apart from removing shoes and jackets."

FALSE!!!!!!!!
If you are a woman wearing a hoodie, you will be asked to remove it. My mother had on a very tight tank top with a built in bra on under a sweatshirt-jacket, and was asked to remove it. The tank top is white. Did I mention this was when she was seeing her USAF SMS husband off to Afghanistan? NO? Well, it was. What a nice thank you to a military wife.

My boss was going to Italy & the screeners @ DFW made her take off her hoodie, even after she told them she didn't have a shirt on under it!!! They left her standing there in her bra at a checkpoint full of pax while her shirt went through the xray machine. All because the zipper has metal. BS. WE ARE DONE!!!!!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:03 pm

Programs: CO/DL
When the cavity searches start, all FT members should travel to D.C and put our collective fingers up Mr Pistole and Nappys behinds as far as they can possibly go and then ask them if they are in favor of those also

As for Mr Pistoles pleading not to opt out, I hear you Mr Pistole, and I am opting out, IF I miss my flight so be it. If it causes someone to miss there flight, than I am sorry for them, but the blame goes to your agency and their heavy handed Gestapo like tactics which has gotten everyone to this point, you sir and your employees are the ones I have zero sympathy for. If their job is too stressful, tough sh*t, let them get a job where they dont have to grope peoples genitals

Last edited by RoadVeteran; Nov 22, 2010 at 11:12 pm Reason: corrections
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
If Pistole doesn't get the message by Thanksgiving, Christmas is coming.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Nov 15, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RoadVeteran
When the cavity searches start, all FT members should travel to D.C and put our collective fingers up Mr Pistole and Nappys behinds as far as they can possibly go and then ask them if they are in favor of those also

As for Mr Pistoles pleading not to opt out, I hear you Mr Pistole, and I am opting out, IF I miss my flight so be it. If it causes somone to miss there flight, than I am sorry for them, but the blame goes to your agency and their heavy handed Gestapo like tactics which has gotten everyone to this point, you sir and your employees are the ones I have zero sympathy for. If their job is to stressful, tough s*it, let them get a job where they dont have to grope peoples genitals
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:16 pm

As I said in another thread, there is no way the airlines will let half-full planes take off. Delta pages me multiple times if they are stupid enough to drop me off in the main terminal & then my connecting is in the A or B concourses @ MSP. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
If Pissy doesn't get the message by Thanksgiving, Christmas is coming.
AMEN!^

We should have a second opt out day on Dec23rd regardless if Mr Pistole and his agency gets the message or not. It should serve as a STRONG reinforcing message that people are fed up with the genital gropes and nudo-o-scopes and wont take it any more.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
AGREED x10

If NOOD 1 doesn't work (or heck even if it DOES work for that matter) we may need to plan for NOOD 2....caveat below.

The only thing I caution is that we don't want our efforts to become routine or expected. They will then lose effectiveness. We need to carefully consider each protest and make sure it is well thought out and implemented appropriately.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by TXagogo
AGREED x10

If NOOD 1 doesn't work (or heck even if it DOES work for that matter) we may need to plan for NOOD 2....caveat below.

The only thing I caution is that we don't want our efforts to become routine or expected. They will then lose effectiveness. We need to carefully consider each protest and make sure it is well thought out and implemented appropriately.
NOOD 2 should be Dec23rd as it is the 2nd heaviest travel day of the year. After that I agree with you 100 percent, but how effective would NOOD 3, and 4, etc, be if not at a busy travel time?.

Might not be the success we hope for if an Opt out day is on a Tuesday in Feburary when hardly anyone travels, imho.

Last edited by RoadVeteran; Nov 22, 2010 at 11:44 pm Reason: corrections
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This was on the news tonight. Apparently the TSA is threatening to send all protestors who opts out of the nudeoscope to a special protestor line. I guess it will somehow be different than the regular secondary line. And not clear how or if they will differentiante protestors from those who just don't like x-rays. Gives new meaning to retaliatory.

And Good luck with that, TSA. The lines already looked pretty bad tonight, and the protest hasn't even gotten started yet.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:16 am

you know, I just wish a reporter - once - when the TSA says "we need to balance security with the risk" ask them exactly what the risk is - not examples of terrorists, but to quantify the risk. It's near zero.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
This was on the news tonight. Apparently the TSA is threatening to send all protestors who opts out of the nudeoscope to a special protestor line. I guess it will somehow be different than the regular secondary line. And not clear how or if they will differentiante protestors from those who just don't like x-rays. Gives new meaning to retaliatory.

And Good luck with that, TSA. The lines already looked pretty bad tonight, and the protest hasn't even gotten started yet.
Yeah, they will be lucky if any screeners show up to work that day, and the screeners would be stupid not to call in sick.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 25, 2010 at 1:47 am Reason: merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.