Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only two opt-outs in a month at LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Only two opt-outs in a month at LAX?

So says the FSD at LAX:

Since late October, just two LAX passengers have opted for the alternative pat-down screening — out of an estimated 80,000 to 90,000 people who daily pass through security, Parsons said.
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,3483810.story

I found it extremely unlikely (and considering it nothing short of a lie) that only two people have opted out since late October at LAX. Heck, I find it doubtful that if you changed the time period to an hour, that statistic could very well be invalid.

Keep on spinning it to the media, TSA.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
I believe ComanchePilot commented on that in another thread, mentioning that he and several others all opted-out at LAX on the same day within the reporting period claimed.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
I believe ComanchePilot commented on that in another thread, mentioning that he and several others all opted-out at LAX on the same day within the reporting period claimed.
I figured it would be rather easy to disprove this lie here on FT. It can't be hard to find three FTers that opted out at LAX in the past week, let alone a month.

Wonder where the TSA is getting these "statistics" from. Just more lies coming from them.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
That is a lie. Nothing else. A lie.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
Parson's must be brand new on the LAX scene. He was FSD at PHX appointed in 2009. Still it's a lie. He's talking.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:05 pm

Ofcourse its a lie. the Govt wants you too feel all warm and fuzzy about being strip searched and being exposed to cancer. Even Clinton said shed never submit to a pat down, but failed to say shed prefer being strip searched instead.

The Govt is spinning this HARDCORE.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I call Bravo Sierra on this number.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find the TSA at LAX to be the ones with the surliest attitude compared to other ones I've encountered at other airports. But I since it's LAX, I'm not one bit surprised considering the surliness also applies to the parking attendants, janitors, etc not just the TSA.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
I find the TSA at LAX to be the ones with the surliest attitude compared to other ones I've encountered at other airports.
Try Newark or Seattle.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by LessO2
Try Newark or Seattle.
Try LAS

That being said could it be two people that opted out of BOTH the fondling and the nos? i.e. they didn't fly?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:36 am

Let's take a look at the stats they give us, shall we?

The TSA released a public service announcement Monday with advice for travelers, emphasizing that the pat-downs are rare — involving 3% of all airline passengers — and that travelers can request that they be done in a private room.

Of the passengers asked to submit to a full-body scan, 1% have chosen to instead undergo a pat-down, which includes TSA agents using their hands to check sensitive areas such as the groin and bra area.

Since late October, just two LAX passengers have opted for the alternative pat-down screening — out of an estimated 80,000 to 90,000 people who daily pass through security, Parsons said.
Given only 2 people have opted out since late October <cough, cough>, and only 1% of people opt of NoS, doesn't that mean they have only put 200 people total through the NoS since late October at LAX? Or 5-6 people per day?

I admit I'm up way past my bedtime, but I think my math is correct....but then maybe not....I think they must be using some that 'new math' I never did learn, but luckily I did read 'How to Lie with Statistics' in grad school
Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Check me off for September in DFW. I feel special... only one other person that month, eh?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:24 am

I opted out at LAX on 7/21 and got a retaliatory, supposedly pre-enhanced, grope and a buttload of attitude from TSA. Posted about it on FT. Lodged a complaint, no response.

I flew out of LAX T6 on 10/30. Self-selected the WTMD line without a NoS. I watched the security area from the other side for 20 to 30 minutes. I couldn't tell from that vantage point if there were any opt outs. Everyone who went through the NoS closest to me got a cursory pat down afterwards. I saw 8 people get the grope: 5 men, 3 women. All except 1 of the women (mid-20s) were mid-50s or better. 1 was a frail elderly Asian in a wheel chair. If TSA is correct, these were all, allegedly, "random" selectees.

As they were facing away from me, I couldn't tell if they got the front of the hand breast/genital grope or not and I was too far away to hear what was being said. Every TSO (4 different ones) appeared to explain what they were going to do at each step. Genders were appropriate. I didn't see any b*** crack poking. Nevertheless, by the expressions on the gropees' faces it was not well received and a total shock.

Last edited by txboris; Nov 23, 2010 at 6:25 am Reason: math error
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I can't speak for the other terminals but at TBIT on Friday night I was directed to the radiation strip search scanner, but no one stopped me when I just scooted over to a WTMD line upon approaching the radiation machine. So at least in the case of TBIT they were with a wink and a nod allowing anyone who wanted to simply skip the radiation strip search scan without formally opting out.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:37 am

This doesn't even pass the laugh test. The simple math required to get there defies any reasonable logic. Now we live in a country where bald government propaganda goes largely unchallenged, even by our supposedly great free press. Unbelievable. Literally, unbelievable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.