Wiki Posts
Search

Mea culpa - I can't stop flying!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Mea culpa - I can't stop flying!

I was put to the test today - I had planned on driving 400 miles to see my parents.

I gave in at the last minute and got a plane ticket. I couldn't justify spending eight hours driving when flying only takes two hours. I'd like to be able to say that I voted with my wallet, but... apparently I don't have the courage of my convictions.

The decision to fly is easier because DFW doesn't have naked scanners at all of its checkpoints, so I can 'opt out' by going to a WTMD-only checkpoint. I also have to say I have never had any patdown from the TSA, except for cursory checks on baggy clothes. For my return flight, there is only one checkpoint and it has a naked scanner, so there is a good chance I will 'lose my TSA virginity' next weekend. Maybe that will change my future behavior.

Are there any hypocrites like me out there, who rail against the infringment of civil liberties, but in the end, decide that risking a TSA grope is less unpleasant than quadrupling my travel time?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Are there any hypocrites like me out there, who rail against the infringment of civil liberties, but in the end, decide that risking a TSA grope is less unpleasant than quadrupling my travel time?
Nah, I don't see you as a hypocrite. Should you have a NoS opportunity on your flight home, and you choose to opt out, then you're gumming up the system and contravening their preferences about how you should submit to their checks. Doesn't sound hypocritical to me.

Six extra hours sounds like too much to you; for someone else it could be fewer, for a different person they could want to avoid the TSA even if it means a transatlantic ship and a bicycle.

Parents are important. Don't be so hard on yourself.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Janet - don't be too hard on yourself. No one ever said standing up for what is right would be easy.

I am struggling with the decision to drive Texas - NYC area for Christmas and then back. ALONE. I have pretty much decided that I will probably do it. Already had the talk with my family. I really really don't want to but I feel it is something I have to do.

Don't beat yourself up - there are many ways to protest and it is important that you find one that works for you and keep at it.

^ ^
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:22 pm

Well, if the shoe fits, wear it. Or is it you want neither the inconvenience nor the shame?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
I think it's enough to cut (way, way) back. I don't think any practical person could say there are zero circumstances that could cause you ever to fly again.

That said, in an ordinary year I'd take eight discretionary roundtrip flights. I plan on driving for six or so out of those eight trips.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by AINITFUNNY
Well, if the shoe fits, wear it. Or is it you want neither the inconvenience nor the shame?
Obviously the shame doesn't bother me, or I wouldn't have posted. It's the guilt. Mea culpa, mea culpa...
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I used to have a 400 mile rule. Inside 400 miles I drive, over I fly. Close I weigh schedules. It is now a 500 mile rule, changed after the war on water started. Moving towards 600 now.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 4:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
I wouldn't kick yourself around too much - unless you want to.

I cancelled what I had left for the year; my spouse is absolute in his decision to fly and I was absolute on these three trips that I either didn't need to go, or I can handle 10 hours in the car each way.

I want to attend my nephew's "graduation" from USMC boot camp. I'm a former Misguided Child, and I'd had custody of him on and off throughout his life and I'd like to see him finish. It's a big deal to me. I tried to get a marginally employed friend to drive with me, but the driving schedule I had in mind to minimize the use of vacation days was too much for him; no one else has the schedule to go with me. I understand. I haven't cancelled that particular ticket and it nags at me, actually. But the thought of 32 hours of driving from Ohio to So. Cal by myself doesn't work well, either. The train takes over 60 hours with no wi-fi so I can work, so that is a no-go for me.

The Spousal Unit and I are debating buying an RV since we aren't optimistic this will change - it's hard to get gov't to go back to anything that's less invasive, etc. I am considering asking my friend again if he'd go in an RV, because I could still work relatively comfortably from the road, and we could take more time to get there, which is his concern.

But for the time being, I still have one ticket sitting out there (CMH to SNA - no scanners at the CMH A terminal, and none so far at SNA), and I feel kind of hypocritical about that ticket since I swore I'd never put myself in a position to get a grope without probable cause again. And once again, in typing this out, I'm furious that this is the position my gov't has put me in - submit to an illegal search or don't fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.