Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What is the purpose of the 1-quart zip-lock bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the purpose of the 1-quart zip-lock bag?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by joefouche
When can I buy a 9-gallon, clear, plastic zip-top carry-on?
Do it, but I didn't say you could stuff your bag with LGA's, just that the bag size does not matter.

Originally Posted by Munch
Yes, another example of TSA's willingness to lie to the public.

And we should believe this because...?
Don't believe it. Believe it. All up to you. I will still sleep well tonight. No insult meant.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 19, 2010 at 2:01 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: M&M, AA GLD, FB
Originally Posted by SATTSO
It was one of the changes with the new SOP implemented Oct 29.
Uhm, I accidentally deleted the e-mail the new SOP was attached to. Would you mind sending me a copy? thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by TamCaP
Uhm, I accidentally deleted the e-mail the new SOP was attached to. Would you mind sending me a copy? thanks!
Uh, yeah, I'll get right on it. The part you want is in section 42.3.w sub section 12.1.b. Like to make things easy for ya.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:54 pm

Uh, yeah, I'll get right on it. The part you want is in section 42.3.w sub section 12.1.b. Like to make things easy for ya.
Thanks! Your help is always appreciated.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:55 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
The quart sized bag requirement is gone. You LGA's can be in any size bag clear plastic bag, removed from your luggage before submitting through the x-ray.
Are you saying I could bring a gallon-sized zip-top bag filled with individual 3oz containers of liquids through a security checkpoint?

Is this a nationwide policy or only at individual airports?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:59 pm

The quart sized bag requirement is gone. You LGA's can be in any size bag clear plastic bag, removed from your luggage before submitting through the x-ray.
I understand that what really matters is whatever a given bag checker says, not what the actual rules say, but could you please point us to the authoritative source of that information?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by pmocek
I understand that what really matters is whatever a given bag checker says, not what the actual rules say, but could you please point us to the authoritative source of that information?
But he did! The SOP. As soon as I get my copy, I will forward it to you too!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by TamCaP
But he did! The SOP.
SOP stands for standard operating procedures. SATTSO, purportedly an employee of TSA, just told us that the rules we're required to follow have changed. Surely we're allowed to read those rules by now.

I'd like to know the name of the document which indicates that the rules have changed and where I can find it. Why would any of us trust the word of someone posting pseudonymously on some Web forum when our freedom is at stake?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:14 pm

Well then it looks like I found my new brand:

Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Wait a second... STOP STOP STOP....

So...

< 3.4 ounces is safe if it is a one quart bag, because you can't stuff that much into it...

...Now you use ANY bag.....

So.... then how come > 3.4 ounces isn't "safe"

Did I sleep through chemsitry that day?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Don't believe it. Believe it. All up to you. I will still sleep well tonight. No insult meant.
I would like to believe it, I really would. I believe it might usually be true at SAT.

But you also said you tell people not to take watches off, yet I have seen a TSA sign posted in SEA requiring watches and necklaces to be removed. Is this also a recent change or is it not the SOP at SAT?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:39 pm

To Baliktad:

Nope, I am not saying that.

Originally Posted by chollie
I would like to believe it, I really would. I believe it might usually be true at SAT.

But you also said you tell people not to take watches off, yet I have seen a TSA sign posted in SEA requiring watches and necklaces to be removed. Is this also a recent change or is it not the SOP at SAT?

Does SEA have the AIT? It is advised to remove those before screening begins, as it may result in a pat down.

But the quart sized bag is not a local policy. It is national with the roll out of the new SOP. Note, this does not change the amount of LGAs you can bring, just use whatever clear plastic bag you have. Gallon size is ok.

As I said over a month ago, many people would hate parts of the SOP, but there were some things people would like. This would be one - yes, I know you all would like an entire abolishment of the LGA restriction, but take your small victories where you can.

Also, has it been noted we no longer conduct mandatory ETDs of CPAPs? Most here would say that is good too.

Other things have gone un-noticed as well...

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 19, 2010 at 2:00 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by mozgytog
Well then it looks like I found my new brand:

You must get some big To-Go Bags from FAs.

Since this new policy is not on the TSA's website, will the screners take this link as gospel if we print it out and show it to them at the checkpoint?

Also, has it been noted we no longer conduct mandatory ETDs of CPAPs?
TSA.gov:

In addition to x-ray inspection of your CPAP machine, a visual and physical inspection, and Explosive Trace Detection (ETD) sampling will be required.

How much work is it to update the text on a website that the travelling public is continually lectured to rely on for "everything you need to know"?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 19, 2010 at 1:59 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Munch
Yes, another example of TSA's willingness to lie to the public.
Lie? Isn't that kind of strong? How about "rounding to the nearest integer"? If somebody says they're 5'10" and they're really 5'10.1" are they "lying"? Saying "3.0 oz" would be lying. "3 oz" is rounding.

If it were me doing the signage, I would have written it as "3oz or 100ml" because I think that's clearest and easiest to understand and compare with typical packaging.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
TSA.gov:

In addition to x-ray inspection of your CPAP machine, a visual and physical inspection, and Explosive Trace Detection (ETD) sampling will be required.

How much work is it to update the text on a website that the travelling public is continually lectured to rely on for "everything you need to know"?
Like I post in another thread, one thing TSA does need to work in is communicating with the public. As I said, I agree with that.

HOwever, there are FT members who travel with such devices. Ask them, those who have travelled since the new SOP and ask what happened to their CPAP. If you don't take my word for it, I'm sure you will believe them. So start a thread and ask away...

Originally Posted by N965VJ
You must get some big To-Go Bags from FAs.

Since this new policy is not on the TSA's website, will the screners take this link as gospel if we print it out and show it to them at the checkpoint?
The bag size does not matter, the amount of LGA and their size does matter.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 19, 2010 at 1:58 am Reason: merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.