Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What is the purpose of the 1-quart zip-lock bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the purpose of the 1-quart zip-lock bag?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by essxjay
Ohfortheloveofmike ...
Just don't be surprised if you get busted for trying to take your LGAs through in a gallon baggie anywhere but SAT...
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Just don't be surprised if you get busted for trying to take your LGAs through in a gallon baggie anywhere but SAT...
I frankly wouldn't be surprised if one were to also get busted in SAT.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by barbell
I frankly wouldn't be surprised if one were to also get busted in SAT.
I believe SATTSO when he says that's new policy as far as he knows. However I try to remember that virtually anything our resident TSOs post only reliably applies to their airport and not necessarily anywhere else. I won't feel confident enough to use a larger baggie until I see it on the website and I see the signage changing. Otherwise I'll still have to carry a quart-sized baggie and be prepared to shift everything if challenged. Sometimes it's just a really tight squeeze in the smaller baggie.

Apparently SAT still hasn't made it mandatory to remove watches and necklaces, but SEA recently put up signs requiring just that. The signs actually went up before the NoS's were in place. I understand they have decided it's easier to just have everyone take everything off. That way they can pull someone headed for the WTMD over to the NoS and not have any last minute scrambling to empty pockets, remove jewelry and watches, etc. that would be OK in the WTMD.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA
We wasted millions giving TSOs new uniforms so they would have an image that would command more respect.

They would get a lot more respect if they exercised common sense at the checkpoint. I feel much safer with a TSO who is understands the 'mission' and the purpose behind the rules than I do with someone who can't be trusted to think (ie, a single one ounce bottle of hand lotion is confiscated if it isn't in the right size and type baggie).

Of course, behind/above TSOs who don't understand the mission and exercise judgment, there's a management structure who permits and abets that blind lack of understanding. Undermines the whole effort.
+1
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by barbell
Nope.

You see, you can have as many 3.4 oz snowglobes as you'd like, so long as they are clearly labeled by the manufacturer and fit comfortably in a Kippie. However, 1 snowglobe absent any other liquids that also fits comfortably in a Kippie is a bomb. Thanks for playing.

On a side note from personal experience, the manufacturers' labels are not entirely accurate, either. At one point I had 2 different brands of skin salve. One was made by the more commonly known Burt's Bees, the other from a small company in Hawai'i. The tins were exactly the same size, and came filled with exactly the same amount of salve. Only one was labeled 3.2 oz, and the other 4 oz. Yet TSA is willing to take the word of these containers at face value, regardless of what is inside. Stupid.
Hey, I tried :-) I just thought of this with the latest snow globe/salsa/cranberry sauce PSA from TSA. If I want to take my favorite gravy to Grandma's house, I guess I'll try to pack as much as I can into the 100ml tubes and into the 1qt. baggie. Has anyone figured out how much liquid that would be???
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by slidergirl
If your snow globe fits inside the 1 qt. baggie, is it now magically legal to bring in the carryon??? I mean, they said they are not allowed because they contain an unknown quantity of liquid. Well, if it fits, shouldn't it ship??? Just goes to show the silliness of the baggie.
You are incorrect regarding your assumption as to why a snow globe is not allowed, thus incorrect about your conclusion.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:06 pm

I believe SATTSO when he says that's new policy as far as he knows. However I try to remember that virtually anything our resident TSOs post only reliably applies to their airport and not necessarily anywhere else. <snip>
I don't disagree with you. I only know from personal experience that SATTSO may be aware of this new policy, and an entirely different screener, heck even another STSO such as is SATTSO, may not be aware, or choose not to follow it, or whatever way the wind blows that day with that screener at that checkpoint in that city. Consistent InconsistencyTM and all that.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO
You are incorrect regarding your assumption as to why a snow globe is not allowed, thus incorrect about your conclusion.
It was said a few times in other threads that the issue with snow globes has to do with what they look like in the x-ray, not with anything inherent in the snow globe itself.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
...By the traditional solo terrorist TSA is guarding us against. As everybody knows, they would never task multiple terrorists in teams to get their liquids past screening, then consolidate ingredients later to become a critical mass. Nah. Never happen.
But if you force them to have to do that, then they need some coordination of these multiple people. Meaning communications, money, etc. You can bring intelligence and law enforcement resources to bear on those areas. As is being discussed in another thread, the checkpoint can't be the place where you thwart large plots: those need to be caught before before the checkpoint.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 6:37 am

He may be incorrect, but it is not an assumption:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/holiday_travel.shtm

Additionally, TSA does not permit snow globes through the security checkpoint because they contain an undetermined amount of liquid.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:31 am

The quart sized bag requirement is gone. You LGA's can be in any size bag clear plastic bag, removed from your luggage before submitting through the x-ray.
The US 1 quart bag industry is not going to be happy.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:42 am

I just wanted to commiserate with the original poster. I, too, had my mini-sized toothpaste confiscated a few months ago at DCA, for lack of a plastic ziploc to put it in. Apparently my Aquafresh was not safe just sitting in a gray circle 'loose change' container.

I did debate it a bit with the TSA employee. I lost.

Though, it used to be before the days of nude-o-scope, I would just put the toothpaste in my pocket and walk through the x-ray, since I could never remember to pack a ziploc. Now I've gone back to a ziploc, though.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
17 airports have chosen to use private security and not TSA. One in Florida this week is changing from TSA to private. May more follow suit.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Originally Posted by slidergirl
Hey, I tried :-) I just thought of this with the latest snow globe/salsa/cranberry sauce PSA from TSA. If I want to take my favorite gravy to Grandma's house, I guess I'll try to pack as much as I can into the 100ml tubes and into the 1qt. baggie. Has anyone figured out how much liquid that would be???
1qt == 32 oz == ~946ml

The number of tubes you can fit in the bag is the real limit though.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:50 am
Suspended

Other things have gone un-noticed as well...
They're kind of overshadowed by the fact that your agency is sexually assaulting people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.