Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My recent experience with TSA pat down

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by muji
I checked the FT glossary (and Googled), but could not find explanations for these TSA-related initials: TSO, LEO, FSD, LTSO, STSO. Would someone be able to explain what the initials mean – and how the hierarchy works? From reading FT posts I have deduced that the TSO (“transportation security officer”?) is the lowest-level character that interacts with you at the checkpoint, but I am unclear who the others are and what their roles are.
All of those acronyms are actually in the TS/S glossary sticky: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-glossary.html
Originally Posted by The Travel Safety/Security Forum Glossary
AFSD = Assistant Federal Security Director

AFSD-LE = Assistant Federal Security Director for Law Enforcement

AFSD-O = Assistant Federal Security Director for Operations

AFSD-S = Assistant Federal Security Director for Screening

FSD = Federal Security Director

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer

LTSO = Lead Transportation Security Officer (aka "two-stripers")

STSO = Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (aka "three-stripers," aka "sups")

TSM = Transportation Security Manager

TSO = Transportation Security Officer (aka "goons," aka "smurfs," aka "TSAbots," et al)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
All of those acronyms are actually in the TS/S glossary sticky: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-glossary.html
Thank you! I didn't know they were listed and explained there. I'm relatively new to this forum.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by muji
Thank you! I didn't know they were listed and explained there. I'm relatively new to this forum.
No worries, that is the exact reason why I replied.

Cholula created that link two years ago because of the confusion of many of the acronyms that are unique to this particular FT forum, and several of us have made contributions over that time to help him update the information it contains. Unless he has a reason to update it, it tends to sit as the #3 link on the TS/S thread listing.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Well done anaggie! Thanks for the tips Mr. Elliott.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JumboD
Well, the LEO request will come if/when asked to remove my watch. Belt and shoes, whatever, but I don't hand strangers I don't trust items worth several times their monthly salaries just because they say so. A threat to keep me from flying if I don't comply amounts to strong-armed robbery in my book.

And indeed, I have a lot of experience with LEOs (research done with them when I was in school, largely focusing on their perspectives) and I agree. In fact, the first words out of my mouth when they arrive will be "Thanks for joining us, I asked for you to come over because I believe that of anyone in the airport you probably have more experience and training in balancing security and order with civil rights".
I agree 100 percent in letting the LEO as soon as they come over that it was you, not the TSO that asked for LEO assistance.

The most important thing you have to remember who you are dealing with, the minimum education requirement to be hired as a TSO is a GED, or relevant work experience like flipping hamburgers at McDonalds, so in some cases you are not dealing with someone who has even average intellegence, I don’t think passing an IQ test is a requirement for employment at the TSA. Put a badge on some of these dimwits, it goes right to their heads, they think they are god and can $hit over people when questioning their authority

Mr. Elliott
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
I would like add to my previous post that incidents where people challenge the TSA rules like removing belts or shoes or submitting to pat downs, you will lose these arguments no matter who you talk to, the TSA is in charge and if they say something like remove your belts and you argue with them, then they are correct in saying that you will not be flying today.
While I agree one would lose the discussion, and I know I am picking nits here but the "Do you want to fly today" in any shape or form is out of line. The TSO's job at that point is solely to determine whether I am worthy of passing into the secure area of the terminal. That means their retort should be nothing less than: "Sir, for you to pass I need to remove your XXX"

To the OP great story. Thanks, I am dreading when something that happens to myself.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Great information in this thread. Thanks to the OP and Mr. Elliott. Bookmarked the thread so I'm prepared should I ever encounter a similar situation.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:52 am

I think ACLU or perhaps some travel-related organization not dependent on the government needs to put out the travel equivalent of the "patient bill of rights" that was compiled so that patients going into one or another medical facility doesn't abandon their rights because of the intimidating quality of authority figures. I wonder how one would go about getting that done. As some of the posts here demonstrate, law enforcement and perhaps others on the periphery of this process recognize there are legal limits to how TSO's "get the job done". But most of us are pretty ignorant. We are more likely to simply try to avoid the situation.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
I think ACLU or perhaps some travel-related organization not dependent on the government needs to put out the travel equivalent of the "patient bill of rights" that was compiled so that patients going into one or another medical facility doesn't abandon their rights because of the intimidating quality of authority figures. I wonder how one would go about getting that done. As some of the posts here demonstrate, law enforcement and perhaps others on the periphery of this process recognize there are legal limits to how TSO's "get the job done". But most of us are pretty ignorant. We are more likely to simply try to avoid the situation.
That's actually a great idea. It would eventually be co opted by Congress if legislation was to result based on its provisions.

Let's do this. I'll will work on it this week to see what kind of formulation looks good. Just drop hints in this thread and I will watch for them. Or if it takes off we could dedicate a thread. At the end of the week, we will have a draft to finalize.

It could be put in the brochures, on signs, on business cards.

The Flyer Talk Traveler's Bill of Rights.

This, is the kind of stuff I can do.

I love it!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
This story quoted verbatim in Daily Kos

Here's the link
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:41 am

It's the luck of the draw, I guess. I was recently on my way home from Fort Lauderdale and I hadn't known they had the scanners in place. My stuff was already through the x-ray machine and I had my work laptop with me -- the one where you're not even supposed to stop to pick up milk on the way home if you have it with you. I said that I am opting out and will take alternate screening. I had to repeat it several times; apparently they hadn't had to deal with one very often. They read me a spiel about delays, etc., and I waited only about 5 minutes. The TSA goon made it clear, however, that I was inconveniencing them.

The woman who did the pat-down was courteous, explaining exactly what she had to do. I explained that I was concerned about my laptop because it was my work computer -- and I offered to turn it on if they had concerns about it. The groper brought my stuff over, everything went OK, and when it was done I said "The only reason I'm doing this is because I'm concerned about radiation. I get a mammogram every year and dental x-rays and that's enough. I know you guys are people too and you don't like doing this any more than I do." Her response: "I don't blame you one bit. I don't trust those things either."

Since the scanners are not closed, I wonder how much radiation the TSA people are being bombarded with every day.

This is nothing but "security theatre." From the day the expression became "feel safer" instead of "be safer", we've been on the way to this kind of surveillance state.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by brilliantatbreakfast
I wonder how much radiation the TSA people are being bombarded with every day.
They'll die of cancer before you do. (Why does my dental hygenist run for cover before pressing the x-ray button, leaving me under a big lead-lined smock, but it's OK for people to stand around these WBI devices all day?) Thank you for opting out, and welcome to Flyertalk. Great FT handle. ^
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:43 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
anaggie: Good on you for knowing your stuff and standing your ground. ^^
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:46 pm

Any Recent ELP Experiences?

I'll be flying out of ELP on the 22nd or 23rd. I will likely be on the 1st flight of the day. I'm fully prepared for another opt out.

For those who have recently flown out of ELP I have a couple of questions.

1. What's a normal time for clearing security for early morning flights?
2. Is the behavior described by the OP common at ELP?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.