Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What if the TSO performing the enhanced patdown is gay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What if the TSO performing the enhanced patdown is gay?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Question What if the TSO performing the enhanced patdown is gay?

So if a male pax must be screened by a male TSO and a female pax must be screened by a female TSO.....

Can a male pax ask the sexual orientation of a male TSO and vv for a female TSO?

What if the male TSO is gay and the male pax has an objection to that?

Not being a homophobe as I am far from it but think about it. In this situation, it might be the TSO getting wood and not the pax.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Asking the TSA screener the question may be useless as the TSA employee could do as TSA spokesholes do: lie, obfuscate and/or make statements based on incomplete or incorrect information/conclusions.

What if the TSA says they are heterosexual but they are really homosexual?

What if the TSA says they are heterosexual but they are really transitioning to bisexuality or homosexuality as they get more and more intimate with people of the same sex?

What if the TSA says they are homosexual, will they then get an out from getting intimately "frisky" with the passengers?

As with jail/prison guards/authorities who get "frisky" with the inmates, so with the TSA.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 9, 2010 at 11:55 am
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:51 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
So if a male pax must be screened by a male TSO and a female pax must be screened by a female TSO.....

Can a male pax ask the sexual orientation of a male TSO and vv for a female TSO?
You can ask anything you want.

What if the male TSO is gay and the male pax has an objection to that?
You can always ask for a supervisor; I imagine some would be flexible and do it himself or find someone else to do it. I imagine others will just cop the standard D Y W T F T line.

Not being a homophobe as I am far from it but think about it. In this situation, it might be the TSO getting wood and not the pax.
People thought about it long before the patdown procedures were changed 11 days ago (you can google some Christian-type anti-gay nut who voiced his opinion on the topic). It doesn't seem to have come up in any practical sense, though. Perhaps the new procedures will be cause for alarm in some-- I don't know.

I think the TSA should change their procedures and have patdowns be gender neutral. The new procedure should be that both male and female TSOs can pat down both male and female pax-- there will no longer be any "MALE ASSIST" or "FEMALE ASSIST" and it will speed things up. Before the patdown begins, the passenger should be informed that he or she can request that a different TSO or a different gender of TSO than the one assigned do the pat down (but that the pax cannot choose the specific TSO who does it). Those who are comfortable with either gender (which would be the majority of men, I believe, and possibly women in the USA, also) will help everyone get processed more quickly while those who care are given an option. It would be just like the option for private screening-- some request it but most don't. Since either gender pax can ask for a TSO of the other gender than the one assigned, it would be totally gender neutral. The only unintended consequence would be that there would be more female TSOs doing pat downs though the TSO should be able to opt out of one (either) gender of patdown duty if he or she so choses. Most wont care, I believe.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:56 am

Can you please tell me where this gay screener is located? I'd like to make sure all my future travel goes through that airport.

If you want to talk about straight passengers not wanting a gay screener, then you are going down a slippery slope. Gay TSO employees are just as professional as their straight employees. They are no more likely to harass a passenger than a straight employee would.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Ari
I think the TSA should change their procedures and have patdowns be gender neutral.
Agreed. There should be nothing sexual about a patdown, so why the TSA chooses to force same-gender is befuddling to me. Its almost like they are admitting, through this action, there is an element of sexual misconduct taking place and by using same gender TSOs they are somehow, in some delusional world, mitigating the sexual harassment risk.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Don't ask, don't tell.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by zitsky
Can you please tell me where this gay screener is located? I'd like to make sure all my future travel goes through that airport.

If you want to talk about straight passengers not wanting a gay screener, then you are going down a slippery slope. Gay TSO employees are just as professional as their straight employees. They are no more likely to harass a passenger than a straight employee would.
I'm thinking more along the lines of the homophobic nut job referenced above vs your everyday straight pax
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
You can ask anything you want.

You can always ask for a supervisor; I imagine some would be flexible and do it himself or find someone else to do it. I imagine others will just cop the standard D Y W T F T line.

People thought about it long before the patdown procedures were changed 11 days ago (you can google some Christian-type anti-gay nut who voiced his opinion on the topic). It doesn't seem to have come up in any practical sense, though. Perhaps the new procedures will be cause for alarm in some-- I don't know.

I think the TSA should change their procedures and have patdowns be gender neutral. The new procedure should be that both male and female TSOs can pat down both male and female pax-- there will no longer be any "MALE ASSIST" or "FEMALE ASSIST" and it will speed things up. Before the patdown begins, the passenger should be informed that he or she can request that a different TSO or a different gender of TSO than the one assigned do the pat down (but that the pax cannot choose the specific TSO who does it). Those who are comfortable with either gender (which would be the majority of men, I believe, and possibly women in the USA, also) will help everyone get processed more quickly while those who care are given an option. It would be just like the option for private screening-- some request it but most don't. Since either gender pax can ask for a TSO of the other gender than the one assigned, it would be totally gender neutral. The only unintended consequence would be that there would be more female TSOs doing pat downs though the TSO should be able to opt out of one (either) gender of patdown duty if he or she so choses. Most wont care, I believe.
I dont like any pat-downs at all. Less the new enhanced pat-downs.

But I would NEVER accept a male TSO touching me at all.
I would scream "assult" as loud as I can.

So not every woman i USA would accept that. In fact I would think vary few would acept that.
Another thing is if most women would speak up.
Sad to say I dont think they would.
I would not care if a female TSO is gay or not. I still object to pat downs.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by tanja
I dont like any pat-downs at all. Less the new enhanced pat-downs.

But I would NEVER accept a male TSO touching me at all.
I would scream "assult" as loud as I can.
Why? Just because at the other end of the hand patting you down is a guy instead of a woman? What's the difference?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So not every woman i USA would accept that.
That's exactly what I said.

In fact I would think vary few would acept that.
I doubt that.

Originally Posted by tkey75
Why? Just because at the other end of the hand patting you down is a guy instead of a woman? What's the difference?
The guy has a penis.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:28 pm

Because it is a MALE. And I am a woman.

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 9, 2010 at 7:36 pm Reason: argumentative
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Ari
The guy has a penis.
I wonder if it would be any more acceptable if Rolando Negrin would perform her patdowns.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
That's exactly what I said.

I doubt that.

The guy has a penis.

So does my MALE partner.
I dont anothe males hands on my body.

I am not into three some.

And none of my female girl friends are that desperate to have a strange mans hands on their body parts.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Ari
The guy has a penis.
Because it is a MALE. And I am a woman.
Yeah? And??

What if the hands came out of a box and you didn't get to know the gender of the owner of the hands doing the pat down? Would it make a difference?

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 9, 2010 at 7:37 pm Reason: reference to delete quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yeah? And??

What if the hands came out of a box and you didn't get to know the gender of the owner of the hands doing the pat down? Would it make a difference?
Each adult has a right to decide for themselves whether or not it's appropriate for another adult to contact their body in ___ way(s).

Is it still not rape if male person TSA hides his identity while using his penis to vaginally penetrates a woman who has only consented to sexual contact with some non-TSA person(s) XYZ yet is vaginally penetrated by TSA?

Informed consent helps avoid being convicted for rape, so apparently granting informed consent makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.