Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Secure Flight info becomes mandatory on November, 1, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:36 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

In line with this thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...er-2010-a.html), i figured I'd post this separately for it's own discussion....

Right from the TSA home page and I wonder how many pax are gonna have problems checking in on 11/1? I say it's gonna be FUBAR.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers...ght/index.shtm

November 1 Changes

Overview

Secure Flight, the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) behind-the-scenes watch list matching program, fulfills a key recommendation of the 9/11 Commission by assuming responsibility of watch list matching from individual airlines. By establishing a consistent watch list matching system, Secure Flight enhances aviation security and more effectively facilitates air travel for passengers.

Secure Flight requires airlines to collect a passenger’s full name (as it appears on government-issued ID), date of birth, gender and Redress Number (if applicable). By providing complete information, passengers can significantly decrease the likelihood of watch list misidentification. Secure Flight watch list matching takes a matter of seconds to complete, and providing this data enables passengers to print their boarding passes at home or at an airline kiosk.

For airlines, November 1, 2010, marks the end of the year-long grace period to clear out their systems of older reservations made before Secure Flight requirements took effect in October 2009. After November 1, 2010, Secure Flight will not conduct watch list matching or approve the issuance of a boarding pass by an airline if complete passenger data is not submitted.

Questions and Answers

What does the November 1 airline compliance date mean for passengers?
The November 1 date requires passengers to provide complete Secure Flight passenger data when booking reservations so TSA can conduct watch list matching and approve airlines to issue a boarding pass. To avoid unnecessary delays and prevent misidentifications, passengers should provide complete Secure Flight data when booking airline travel, whether they have booked directly with the airline, a travel agent or an online booking site.

Will passengers still be able to book a ticket within 72 hours of a flight?
Yes. TSA’s Secure Flight program can conduct watch list matching for passengers up until the time of the flight. Passengers will be prompted to provide Secure Flight information when booking travel. For reservations booked on short notice, or within 72 hours of the scheduled flight departure time, airlines must submit the required passenger information as soon as the reservation is made.

What happens if a passenger has an existing reservation for travel after November 1, 2010, and did not provide complete Secure Flight data when booking his or her flight?
TSA advises passengers to contact their airlines or booking sources prior to arriving at the airport to ensure they have provided their full name, date of birth, gender, and Redress number (if applicable) as part of their reservations. While TSA’s watch list matching takes a matter of seconds and can be completed up until the time of departure, passengers should be aware that a boarding pass will not be issued until the airline submits complete passenger data to Secure Flight.

What if a passenger’s boarding pass and ID do not match exactly?
Secure Flight and travel document checking are both critical security functions, yet they serve different purposes at different points in the security process. Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes watch list matching process that takes place before checkpoint screening. Secure Flight asks that passengers enter their names as they appear on their government ID and passengers should strive to stay consistent between the name on their ID and the information they provide when booking their reservation. Once a passenger receives their boarding pass, the Secure Flight process is already complete.

At the security checkpoint, TSA strives to ensure your identification and boarding pass are authentic and validate you are who you say you are. Small differences in the name on the boarding pass and ID, like middle initials, should not impact your travel. It is not uncommon for the information printed on boarding passes to differ slightly from the information on IDs, depending on the boarding pass printing practices of individual airlines.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I do think this is something major, but I still wonder if there is something more significant that will change at the end of the month.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:40 am

FUBAR
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: OnePass
I was gonna say this isn't news, its been known for a while.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: *wood Gold
So basically our government has wasted millions of dollars yet again.

Why?

Because there's just no way of stopping me from saying that my name is George Walla-Walla-Bing-Bang Costanza, with a gender of "female" and a DOB of 07/04/1776 when I make an airline reservation. (And I'm willing to bet that there's no terrorist out there whose known name, gender, and DOB match that.)

Millions of dollars spent to develop a system that can be easily thwarted by the actions of a 6 year old.

I'm feeling much safer now.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Thankfully, Your Tax Dollars At Work......

Britain is broken so we will have to wing it.....
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mikemey
I was gonna say this isn't news, its been known for a while.
Is that new TSA rules has been changes? I didn't notice it before. I will allows to flying everywhere out of PHX. I don't mind if I will bans for my uncle is an inappropriate for his behaviors to put us on Southwest Airlines again. Because I am no longer flying on WN.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by TSA.gov
At the security checkpoint, TSA strives to ensure your identification and boarding pass are authentic and validate you are who you say you are. Small differences in the name on the boarding pass and ID, like middle initials, should not impact your travel.
Because we all know the Trained Document Checkers are really on the ball.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:22 pm

Reservations have been appearing in queue for lack of SecureFlight information for some time now and airlines have been inhibiting ticketing of reservations without SecureFlight data for some time now as well. So indeed not much new here. Yes, there may be a few reservations out there that have not been updated, but that will be done as people check in.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Regardless of whether it is effective or not, I have no problem in providing that data. However I have zero faith in TSA, in fact any US Government agency being able to implement this:

After November 1, 2010, Secure Flight will not conduct watch list matching or approve the issuance of a boarding pass by an airline if complete passenger data is not submitted.
You only need to look to the ESTA roll out fiasco for an example of how what seems simple in essence can be FUBAR.

I can't wait.....
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Now you need the government's permission to fly
so this entire no fly list consits of people that are too guilty to fly but too innocent to be arrested even with the patriot act

to parapharse Bruce Schneier
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by Polar Man
Now you need the government's permission to fly
so this entire no fly list consits of people that are too guilty to fly but too innocent to be arrested even with the patriot act

to parapharse Bruce Schneier
Well, you don't need their permission to fly. Nobody does, not even the terrorists. How many people do you think will ever have a middle name of "Walla-Walla-Bing-Bang" or "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang" or "TSASawMyNuts"? And how many of them will have a birthday on April Fools Day? No match to a known set of data = OK to fly. It's that simple.

The program only works if we all cooperate with it. I strongly suggest that we not. If they want data, fine-- give them data. Who says it has to be accurate data? Turn the program into a failure by throwing garbage at it that makes it irrelevant.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Exactly. Create randomness each time you are required to enter the information.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Exactly. Create randomness each time you are required to enter the information.
What is does this mean?? Can you try to clarify something for me?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Reading the OP quote, I am left with the impression that this policy and procedures is practically aimed at US citizens on domestic flights. What about its usefulness and efficacy with respect to the other 5.7 billion people on this god green planet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.