Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Military with Weapons on Commercial Flight?...TSA humor!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler

A friend recently deployed to Afghanistan. He said a commercial airliner picked them up at their base and flew them to Maine to meet a military charter. Here's the interesting part.....he said they all carried their M-16s (and I presume other weapons such as knives and bayonets) on the commercial flight. I thought perhaps they then changed planes at Bangor (?) but didn't go into a secure area. Still seems strange to me. I was rather skeptical until I read the following on a travel blog (Chris Elliott's column):
"My husband tells the funniest airline security story I have heard. When he was flying to Iraq the first time with the military his unit took a smaller regional plane to get to Dallas for the military chartered plane. Each of them was fully armed with M-16s, some with pistols, a couple with machine guns etc and they were all carrying pocket knives and larger tactical knives as well as bayonets. As they were loading the plane there was a woman standing on the jet way with a small plastic bag. She announced that they all needed to drop their lighters in the bag and lighters were a potential terrorist item. Needless to say they all looked at each other with their myriad of real weapons and (without dropping lighters) laughed and got on the plane. My husband said they laughed the entire 17 hours of flight over this.[/I]
Has anyone else heard of or seen this? Wonder how they handle this with TSA? Story above is hilarious!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: United
I've never been on a scheduled flight with a weapon, but I have been on commercial aircraft that have been chartered with a weapon. I too found it interesting when we hear over the PA "Please place all long rifles in the overhead compartments."

I've also had my lighter taken from me while carrying a rifle.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
you have to be a special kind of stupid to tell a planeload of people with automatic weapons they need to give up their lighters, ostensibly so they don't light their shoe bomb on fire. The fact that someone that dumb was given access to the tarmac is the biggest security threat I've heard of in a long time.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I remember watching the Austin TSA making the National Guard guys run all their bags and kit, including their firearms, through the scanners about seven or eight years ago.

That was my first hint that the Federales might not be dealing from the full deck.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well prior to TSA I flew from overseas as crew member to our home base in Florida. I had just a short time to make my way to the commercial airport to hope a flight home to Dallas. I had my full flight gear outfit including helmet, survival vest and all items it contains such as flares, knife and many other items with me as I boarded the commercial flight. I did get some odd looks from other passengers.

I can only imagine what would happen today if a member of the military was trying to get home on leave and had their flight gear with them.

With TSA we have gone so far past stupid that it is unbelievable.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Well prior to TSA I flew from overseas as crew member to our home base in Florida. I had just a short time to make my way to the commercial airport to hope a flight home to Dallas. I had my full flight gear outfit including helmet, survival vest and all items it contains such as flares, knife and many other items with me as I boarded the commercial flight. I did get some odd looks from other passengers.

I can only imagine what would happen today if a member of the military was trying to get home on leave and had their flight gear with them.

With TSA we have gone so far past stupid that it is unbelievable.
They would probably want to ETD the vest, or make them go through the NoS...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
They would probably want to ETD the vest, or make them go through the NoS...
I suspect with the signal flares, flare gun and projectile flares, survival knife and such I would have to walk to Texas if this had happen since post TSA.

Of course my Top Secret clearance would not have counted for anything.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:51 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182
you have to be a special kind of stupid to tell a planeload of people with automatic weapons they need to give up their lighters, ostensibly so they don't light their shoe bomb on fire. The fact that someone that dumb was given access to the tarmac is the biggest security threat I've heard of in a long time.
Congress banned lighters-- "because"; lighters therefore became WEI by act of Congress and not by an act of the TSA. The TSA can allow weapons on the flight because such matters are within their discretion, but the TSA simply cannot override an act of Congress (just the Constitution, I guess ).

The confiscation had nothing to do with terrorism or weapons and everything to do with a stupid Congress and a TSA obliged to oblige.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:06 am

It's a good thing that soldiers never go postal
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
I still haven't quite gotten over travelling to the Alps by Eurostar, carrying my 40 cm ice axe, and having security confiscate my bottle of water.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanR
http://celebrifi.com/gossip/Double-L...t-3759247.html
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wilbur
I remember watching the Austin TSA making the National Guard guys run all their bags and kit, including their firearms, through the scanners about seven or eight years ago.

That was my first hint that the Federales might not be dealing from the full deck.
Me, too. Saw this at SDF.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Odds are the ammo was kept in cargo, or transported on a separate flight. Not that someone couldn't have taken a few rounds with him in his carry on.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
The average solider wouldn't need a gun to dispatch someone (Other then beating someone with a unloaded rifle), most are capable of doing it barehanded.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Odds are the ammo was kept in cargo, or transported on a separate flight. Not that someone couldn't have taken a few rounds with him in his carry on.
Actually, the ones I saw at SDF were the NG troops that were patrolling in terminal for a while right after 9-11. They Xrayed the guns and packs, the troops put them on and started their patrols. If they were unloaded it was a monumental farce. Alright, if they were loaded and went through the Xray it was a monumental farce as well. It was wrong either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.