Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS - "Mandatory body scanner" with SSSS BP?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
BOS - "Mandatory body scanner" with SSSS BP?

While I've managed to avoid the body scanners so far, my luck ran out this morning at BOS, when I got an "SSSS" BP, apparently for buying a one-way ticket.

When I reached the machine, I politely told the TSO I would opt for the pat-down instead. He yelled over to another TSO and they concluded that there is no "opt-out" allowed with an "SSSS" BP. (Perhaps I should have argued further, but I went through the scanner.) Along with the scanner came the full "enhanced" pat-down, complete with crotch check:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/08/enhanced-pat-downs.html

Then off to have all of my possessions checked for bomb residue. The TSOs were reasonably polite throughout the process.

I have searched this forum and couldn't find any reference to the SSSS/body scanner combination (sorry if I missed the thread). In addition, I've searched the TSA site and elsewhere and have found no evidence that the body scanner is mandatory with an "SSSS" boarding pass. Do others have experience with this, or relevant information? I'd like to be better informed in case this happens again, and if the TSOs were incorrect, I intend to file a complaint with the TSA.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
They were wrong, simply wrong. You do not have to submit to being irradiated or microwaved.

You definitely should file complaints, not only with TSA but (see links in my signature) with the ACLU & EPIC.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danang
While I've managed to avoid the body scanners so far, my luck ran out this morning at BOS, when I got an "SSSS" BP, apparently for buying a one-way ticket.

When I reached the machine, I politely told the TSO I would opt for the pat-down instead. He yelled over to another TSO and they concluded that there is no "opt-out" allowed with an "SSSS" BP. (Perhaps I should have argued further, but I went through the scanner.) Along with the scanner came the full "enhanced" pat-down, complete with crotch check:

Then off to have all of my possessions checked for bomb residue. The TSOs were reasonably polite throughout the process.

I have searched this forum and couldn't find any reference to the SSSS/body scanner combination (sorry if I missed the thread). In addition, I've searched the TSA site and elsewhere and have found no evidence that the body scanner is mandatory with an "SSSS" boarding pass. Do others have experience with this, or relevant information? I'd like to be better informed in case this happens again, and if the TSOs were incorrect, I intend to file a complaint with the TSA.
Please describe the pat down. Was it open handed? Was private screening offered?

You should file a complaint regardless since TSA has clearly stated that anyone can Opt Out of NOS E-Strip scanning. And why not Opt Out if your going to be sexually assaulted anyhow?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
They were wrong, simply wrong. You do not have to submit to being irradiated or microwaved.

You definitely should file complaints, not only with TSA but (see links in my signature) with the ACLU & EPIC.
+1

OP, please make sure to file a complaint. I'd like to see TSA give their side of the story They were totally wrong. If that happens again, ask for the FSD, your airlines Ground Security Coordinator, and a LEO.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:42 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

bolding mine: Bull! And as others have posted, the TSO was flat our wrong
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Just came through YYZ T1 US departures with SSSS on my boarding pass and was told I had the option (by CATSA) of NoS or pat down. Chose the pat down. Posted on Opt-out thread.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Please describe the pat down. Was it open handed? Was private screening offered?
The pat down was extremely thorough, including the TSO dragging his hands along my arms and legs and doing an "inside the waistband" check. I believe portions were open handed, but in "sensitive" areas the TSO made a point to say he was using the back of his hands. Private screening was not offered.

Thanks all for your input; I'll file the appropriate complaints.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Seem to be seeing an uptick in SSSS checks lately. Is it turning out that the elimination of SSSS was another TSA fabrication?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Seem to be seeing an uptick in SSSS checks lately. Is it turning out that the elimination of SSSS was another TSA fabrication?
Not sure. I purchased a one-way ticket using airline vouchers; perhaps the system saw that as "cash" and flagged it.

As MikeMpls suggested, I've filed a complaint with the TSA and provided copies to EPIC and the ACLU.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Along with the scanner came the full "enhanced" pat-down, complete with crotch check:.
And that is when the screener gets face full of knuckles(self defense) and you press charges for sexual assault
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Aren't the "nude scans" supposed to detect "bad" things you may be concealing on your body--so what do the pat downs accomplish--except to annoy the traveling public?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Silver
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Probably not, if you define it correctly. You see, if everyone gets the full treatment, then there is no need to flag anyone with SSSS anymore.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:31 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by nrr
Aren't the "nude scans" supposed to detect "bad" things you may be concealing on your body--so what do the pat downs accomplish--except to annoy the traveling public?
No idea what they're trying to accomplish, but other people here have reported, from a number of different airports over a period of some months, that many/most/all of the people going through the NOS were also getting a comprehensive patdown afterwards.

It may be that there are too many ordinary things on a person's body (underwear, sanitary items, things left in pockets, underwire bras,??) that show up on the NOS and "need" a patdown to resolve. Or it may be that the screeners at the checkpoint don't trust the NOS and do the patdown "to be sure" that it didn't miss something. Who knows?

In any case, someone from TSA will be along shortly to tell us that the OP's story was fabricated, or that it's not supposed to happen that way, or that BOS is trialling a new procedure, or some other excuse.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
No idea what they're trying to accomplish, but other people here have reported, from a number of different airports over a period of some months, that many/most/all of the people going through the NOS were also getting a comprehensive patdown afterwards.
Which is ironic, and annoying, and stupid because at a ratio of 3:1 people are sailing through WTMD with nary a glance at the exact same time from the exact same line in several of these airports.

Boy, these new devices sure are effective. Not.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Not sure. I purchased a one-way ticket using airline vouchers; perhaps the system saw that as "cash" and flagged it.

As MikeMpls suggested, I've filed a complaint with the TSA and provided copies to EPIC and the ACLU.
Such tickets always generated an SSSS for me, but have not done so in the past few years when the system was supposedly changed.

How far in advance was it purchased?

I have heard SSSS is still being used, but is not used as frequently these days. Once upon a time a simple re-route / FIM onto another carrier would generate an SSSS or a ticket with codeshares over multiple carriers.

Please do file a complaint and make the complaint via several channels to ensure it is recognized and acted upon.

It was wrong you were not given the chance to opt out, no if and/or/but(s). It goes against everything the TSA spokeholes have told us, and have even gone as far as making statements to reflect the fact this "policy" will not change.

Disgusting -- but then, this is an agency that can't even keep track of a simple list of acceptable federal ID's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.