Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Are you male or female? It's a serious question.
Male
72.09%
Female
25.58%
Other
1.16%
Decline to answer
1.16%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Sex please?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:49 pm

Male... always opt out. Always say why loudly enough for a bunch of people to hear about it.

In regard to the more general question, I believe females are more likely to believe/hope/wish that the NOS actually improves security. Men know that a locked cockpit and a plane full of ready-to-kick-butt passengers sufficiently solves the hijacking problem.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Female, on the + side of 40, 100% opt out. My Super Elite male partner couldn't give a hoot and is happy to waltz through the NoS
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TNGALINFLORIDA
Early 30's female over here. Single, no kids, and I travel a too much for work and not enough for pleasure. I will not go into a NoS. Case closed. End of story. Personally, my refusal to do so is a mixture of the privacy issue, the possible data leak issues, and the radiation. My biggest gripe however, is that I don't believe that a US citizen should be subjected to this kind of scrutiny when travelling within our own borders
^^^+1000

Or being frisked without probable cause...

Longtime female road warrioress here and I find the entire notion of being required to submit to a strip search or allowing a government employee to run their hands over my body simply to get on an airplane to be bizarre. Cannot fathom how anyone can find this remotely acceptable.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScatterX
Male... always opt out. Always say why loudly enough for a bunch of people to hear about it.

In regard to the more general question, I believe females are more likely to believe/hope/wish that the NOS actually improves security. Men know that a locked cockpit and a plane full of ready-to-kick-butt passengers sufficiently solves the hijacking problem.
Male, 58 and will not submit to NOS.
I wonder if females are more adverse to pat downs than males?
TSA can FO before I surrender!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA, CO, AA
get over yourselves...who cares about these scans.
all i care about is getting through the TSA charades as fast as possible
if you are so ashamed of you bodies that you cant walk through the scan, maybe you should consider that you are doing something wrong taking care of yourself.
....and what is the fear anyway...that theres a fat sloppy TSA agent behind the screen laughing at you? ....you are really wasting your energy
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by cotter77
if you are so ashamed of you bodies that you cant walk through the scan, maybe you should consider that you are doing something wrong taking care of yourself.
....and what is the fear anyway...that theres a fat sloppy TSA agent behind the screen laughing at you? ....you are really wasting your energy

Nobody said that we are ashamed of our bodies. If you bother to read the countless sources available, you would know that there are multiple reasons that we refuse to be strip-searched by the government.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:03 pm

To me it's all about the boiling frog metaphor. A frog placed in boiling water will jump out, but one placed in room temperature water and graduated heated will eventually die (so the metaphor goes).

I, like others here, are standing up to this whittling away of our liberties. Check points on highways, ID required* to fly, naked pictures required for domestic travel...it isn't for safety and doesn't make us safer. All they have found are drugs and a many have stated that the NoS wouldn't have detected the explosives on the christmas bomber to DTW.

Do I care about naked pictures? no, not really. I rarely adequately cover to check my mail, but I do care about standing up now while I still can.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
I am a female, and have opted out for the one and only occasion that there was a NoS at the checkpoint. I expect that I will opt out for every occasion.

It's the principle here, not the digital strip search that's the issue.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
You seriously posted that here? Would you say that to your teenaged daughter who is "forced" through an NoS, in this digital age with those fat sloppy TSA agents slobbering over her young nubile body?

It has nothing to do with shame ... at 5'9", 135lb marathon runner, it sure ain't about how I look, it's about what I believe in.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL, US Air, AA, HH Diamond

Why don't you actually read what has been posted. The majority of us, myself included, don't rank the privacy issue as the number one reason we refuse to enter the NoS. It's about the government trying to restrict our freedom of movement, under the guise of preventing another terrorist attack.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
who cares about these scans.
I do.

That's certainly your prerogative to care only about your immediate self-interest. Others choose to exercise the prerogative to care about their and others' long term interests.
....and what is the fear anyway...that theres a fat sloppy TSA agent behind the screen laughing at you?
False choices. Neither shame nor fear drive my conscious decision to opt out.

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 11, 2010 at 10:19 pm
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:29 pm

Female 56.

Never been in a one and dont plan to go into one either.
Me they have to drag with force into the machine.
And NO I am not ashammed over my body. But it is mine and nobody i dont invite and know shall see it.

Also when I talk to people here and in Sweden about this machine. Almost all of them think that there are 2 lines for the machines. One for men viewved by men. And one for women viewed by women.
And that they dont view minors.
When they here it is all mixed they cant people. But they do say that they will opt-out then.
The health hazzard they never have even thought about.

Pat-downs. Hm I am good at self defense.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:32 pm

What's the emoticon for "disgust?"

I've already had cancer once, thank you, and more radiation than anyone should ever face. No way am I exposing myself to more radiation just to help the government's PR project, or exposing my kid to it. And anyone who trusts what the government says about the radiation exposure risk from those machines is naive to say the least.

Add one more female to the list of refusers.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
50+ female opt out 100% of the time!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Mrs Halls120 used to give me a hard time for being so critical of TSA. After the past year where she has flown with me more often than normal, she now dislikes TSA with the same passion that I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.