Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ customs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

YYZ customs

hello FT!

I'm flying from FLL-ATL-YYZ and I'm not sure if I clear customs in ATL or YYz? If I do clear customs in ATL, will I have to recollect my baggage and check it again?

I have the same question for my return (YYZ-MEM-FLL)

Thanks in advance for your help: Im a novice flyer and this is my first solo trip.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
You clear customs when you arrive in the foreign country; you will clear customs in Canada.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
both ways in YYZ
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
To be specific;

Way Out

1. Check bag in FLL through to YYZ.
2. Domestic leg FLL-ATL, you MAY be asked for your passport at FLL, but you can do online check in, so it's not guaranteed (make sure you have it).
3. Change in ATL, you WILL be required to show your passport before boarding for YYZ.
4. Arrive in YYZ, hand over completed boarding card and passport to Canadian Customs Agents, welcome to Canada.

Way Back

5. Depart YYZ - TAKE NOTE - You will check in and then walk to the US departures area, it is a long walk, give yourself time. You must complete a Blue customs declaration at this point.
6. You then enter a US Customs and Immigration area where your Passport and Customs forms are checked.
7. Once you cross the line past the Customs and Border Protection Agent you are effectively on US soil (but still in Toronto Airport).
8. Once you board and take off from YYZ it's the same as being on a domestic leg to MEM.

For some reason the Canadian based CBP agents seem to be even more charmless and uncivil than the rest of them, so don't give them an excuse to fark you over. Get your customs declaration complete, have all your stuff together and smile until you are through.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
To expand on what others are saying; you'll clear customs in Canada (in Toronto) when you arrive. Sorry if you get a grumpy agent, they're usually not bad though . . . it won't take long unless you're arriving at 5PM on a Friday or a Sunday, but even then maybe 20 minutes.

On your way home you clear in Toronto as well through something called pre-clearance; a US CBP agent will clear you. Clearance on your way home can be a bit slow depending on the time of day you're leaving; get to the airport at least 2 hours early, more if it's first thing in the morning.

When you get home you'll just walk off the plane like a domestic US flight.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Just a few points to add:

DL flies into YYZ T3 which is the same terminal as South Asian, Caribbean and vacation charter airlines. It is realtively fast for the Dl flight are no more than 50 passengers unless you run into one ore more of these large jets landing at the same time. It can get very slow due to improperly filled out arrival time and additional screening for incoming passengers.

Flying out DL counter is the closest to the US CBP area. it is not a long walk. The lineup can be long during rush hour for US flights. Mornings before 9 and Th/F evenings. Monday morning is the worst. The slowness of security check by CATSA is the most time consuming. 2+ hrs are not unheard of for these checks on a Monday morning. I have been flying out of BUF if I need to be in US on Mondays.

Make sure you have the forms filled out properly. It is very straight forward. You will get a Canada Custom declaration form either at gate in ATL or on your ATL YYZ flight that you can fill in before landing. If they don't have any they are at Canada entry point but it is a counter and can be a madhouse at the wrong time.
Departing at YYZ you will have to fill in the US custom declaration form, They are at the DL check in counter and is blue.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tentseller
DL flies into YYZ T3 which is the same terminal as South Asian, Caribbean and vacation charter airlines. It is realtively fast for the Dl flight are no more than 50 passengers unless you run into one ore more of these large jets landing at the same time. It can get very slow due to improperly filled out arrival time and additional screening for incoming passengers.
A couple of years ago I arrived on DL and noted on my form that I was there for business. For whatever reason I was selected for additional screening, which required waiting in a very long line. I was the only male in line not wearing a turban. For my trouble I got a very nice passport stamp, which you don't get for a "normal" arrival.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
YYZ is one of the better pre-clearance stations in Canada...but that's not saying much. I've had queue times ranging from 5 minutes to almost an hour...depending on time of day.

When you check in in FLL you will be expected to present your passport so have it ready...even if you use the kiosk.

For folks who travel regularly, I recommend NEXUS. Gov't program that allows you to bypass the immigration screening. Challenge is it takes weeks to an approval interview and you have to do it at a US-Candian border crossing which means AT the border or a Canadian airport.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:43 pm

Whenever I fly to the USA from Europe or from Canada I have to pass customs and immigration in the foreign airport before boarding for the USA. But when I fly to the USA from MEX I pass customs and immigration at the USA airport after arriving.

The difference is consistent across various airports in Europe, Canada, Mexico, and Houston, Denver, SLC, Dallas, LAX, SEA, and JFK. Does the USA keep border stations open in all those airports just to service Mexico traffic? I don't understand why the difference.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by WildUtah
Whenever I fly to the USA from Europe or from Canada I have to pass customs and immigration in the foreign airport before boarding for the USA. But when I fly to the USA from MEX I pass customs and immigration at the USA airport after arriving.

The difference is consistent across various airports in Europe, Canada, Mexico, and Houston, Denver, SLC, Dallas, LAX, SEA, and JFK. Does the USA keep border stations open in all those airports just to service Mexico traffic? I don't understand why the difference.
To my knowledge, Shannon Airport is the only European departure point that has US pre-clearance, though Dublin will offer this soon. Most if not all Canadian airports have US pre-clearance.

So, most international travelers will pass through customs and immigration/border at their arrival into a US airport. That includes almost all flights from Europe, most flights from the Caribbean, and all flights from elsewhere (Mexico/Central/South America, Africa, Asia, Australia/Pacific)
Old Oct 3, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Dublin currently offers US immigration facilities, but not customs. It's still nice, though, to pass by the long JFK immigration line, even if you still have to pick up your bag and walk through customs. And as you stated, the new terminal at DUB will offer full pre-clearance.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WildUtah

It is easy to get CBP agents to relocate to live in a Canadian city vs a Mexican one.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Slow learner
To be specific;

Way Out

1. Check bag in FLL through to YYZ.
2. Domestic leg FLL-ATL, you MAY be asked for your passport at FLL, but you can do online check in, so it's not guaranteed (make sure you have it).
3. Change in ATL, you WILL be required to show your passport before boarding for YYZ.
4. Arrive in YYZ, hand over completed boarding card and passport to Canadian Customs Agents, welcome to Canada.

Way Back

5. Depart YYZ - TAKE NOTE - You will check in and then walk to the US departures area, it is a long walk, give yourself time. You must complete a Blue customs declaration at this point.
6. You then enter a US Customs and Immigration area where your Passport and Customs forms are checked.
7. Once you cross the line past the Customs and Border Protection Agent you are effectively on US soil (but still in Toronto Airport).
8. Once you board and take off from YYZ it's the same as being on a domestic leg to MEM.

For some reason the Canadian based CBP agents seem to be even more charmless and uncivil than the rest of them, so don't give them an excuse to fark you over. Get your customs declaration complete, have all your stuff together and smile until you are through.

Is Canada still restricting Carry-on to one Article?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Stripe
A couple of years ago I arrived on DL and noted on my form that I was there for business. For whatever reason I was selected for additional screening, which required waiting in a very long line. I was the only male in line not wearing a turban. For my trouble I got a very nice passport stamp, which you don't get for a "normal" arrival.
Cleared YYZ customs yesterday the normal way and got a stamp. The only place I have been recently with no stamp is Paris.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zman
Is Canada still restricting Carry-on to one Article?
Not right now; it has been lifted for quite a while. But if something happens it might all change in a hurry.

All I can suggest is be prepared especially with what is being reported on the news and states dept travel advisory/warnings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.