Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Is there an Airport you guys like? Security Wise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Security wise, is there an airport where they don't hassle you, and you have no issues getting through?

Just wondering because it just seems to me like you all just hate security, I mean who doesn't, I feel more secure going through six flags security, but I was just wondering.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:43 am

Programs: QFF
Not in the US or UK.

Never have any real problems at SYD, CBR or MEL. Though the QF checkpoint at CBR has a strange problem with umbrellas going through the xray inside the carry on and almost every time I go through SYD, I get pulled for the extra 'random' [quota meeting] ETP and patdown.

Best sercuity checkpoint? Maybe SIN, HKG, NRT or DXB.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:37 am

Programs: AA GLD, TSA-DSP
I'll second that on NRT. Polite efficient and let me keep my shoes.

Originally Posted by Himeno
Not in the US or UK.

Never have any real problems at SYD, CBR or MEL. Though the QF checkpoint at CBR has a strange problem with umbrellas going through the xray inside the carry on and almost every time I go through SYD, I get pulled for the extra 'random' [quota meeting] ETP and patdown.

Best sercuity checkpoint? Maybe SIN, HKG, NRT or DXB.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:49 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
MOST (not all, but most) airports in Asia are at least courteous and friendly at security. The contemptuous rudeness, pushy attitude, yelling, and just absolute disregard for the travelers is the biggest problem with TSA. Unpleasant security procedures just go a whole lot smoother when applied by a professional, polite, and competent agent who smiles, says please, and thank you.

Even someplace where security is REALLY a mess like MNL they are at least polite if nothing else. The confrontational aspect that defines almost every encounter with TSA is just not present. It's still a huge hassle but you don't come out the other end feeling like you just fought your way through a gauntlet of incompetent @%&holes.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:32 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chequot1776
Security wise, is there an airport where they don't hassle you, and you have no issues getting through?

Just wondering because it just seems to me like you all just hate security, I mean who doesn't, I feel more secure going through six flags security, but I was just wondering.
HKG, SYD, FRA, ZRH, PEK, TLV, PVG, -- there is a trend here . . .

And we don't hate security here, by the way.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:58 am

I don't hate security, I hate security theater being performed at my expense by rude, incompetent, unprofessional jerks.

Do not confuse hatred of the TSA/DHS with hatred of courteous, competent, professional security that has a real mission based on actual need. The TSA has as much to do with security and professionalism as golf balls have to do with knitting.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:17 am

Programs: OnePass
RDU is about the best I've been through in the US. That doesn't mean they're good. EWR is horrible, so is JFK, PHX, CLT, ATL....There's levels of bad at US airports....and I guess I'd call RDU one of the best of the worst....

MUC was thorough but courteous. RMI was a breeze as well, as was BLQ and NAP when I flew over there. Pity the TSA won't take lessons on how BLQ was set up. And when I say a breeze, I don't mean they were careless.

Last edited by mikemey; Sep 15, 2010 at 6:47 am Reason: clarified remarks.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:43 am

On the whole MEL, SYD, AKL and CNS have been the best.

If I had to chose one in the US, I would say OMA, probably because the people are (generally) always polite (perhaps that has to do with being a small city in the Midwest....)
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
NRT international has never been a problem. I can honestly say that I do not have a single US airport on my list of airports with limited issues with security.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
NRT is good. As is ZRH & GVA. MUC was fine. None in the US are on my list.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
NRT is good. As is ZRH & GVA. MUC was fine. None in the US are on my list.
I qualify the Japanese airports (have flown OKA, HND and NRT):
  1. International: no issues, no shoes off, no WBI, polite/courteous staff, no yelling, kowtow to US stupidity on liquids (big negative)
  2. Domestic: all electronics/wires out of bags (big negative), no shoes off, no WBI, polite/courteous staff, no yelling, no liquids issues
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:20 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I honestly have had no problems with any checkpoints in the US....

Some of my favorites: ROC, PVD, and my all time favorite: Watertown, NY.... brings back memories of the $29 USAir flights anywhere in the continental US... and the picnic table!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I've noticed that the busiest U.S. airports tend to be the least objectionable. They have huge masses of people to push through and really don't have very much time for petty harassment. Small airports, on the other hand, especially those with only one flight every hour or so, can be absolutely ridiculous. I had one of my worst ever experiences with the TSA at Burlington, Vermont! They apparently had nothing better to do than hassle me relentlessly about my wallet, insisting that it had to be x-rayed even though it contained no metal and did not set off the metal detector. When I insisted on removing everything valuable from it, they went though my money, bill by bill. Looking for weapons, explosives and incendiaries? -- I think not! As bad as some people say EWR and JFK can be, usually I glide right through without any hassle at all.

Bruce
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
I'm not exactly as frequent a flyer as most on this board. However, disregarding the stupid policies the TSA as an agency inflicts upon the public, I've found the agents at MSN to be polite and professional and, to my observation, follow the rules and don't make things up as they wish.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:44 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Best: Domestic airports in Brazil, New Zealand, Australia, Africa, ... (those airports not infected with the disease of US/UK "security" stupidity).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.