Community
Wiki Posts
Search

22" Rollerboard carry-ons & TSA agents

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
if 22"x14"x9" is the "approved size", how about a tape measure or ruler to measure the dimensions of the sizer? 5 hockey pucks says the inside* dimensions are smaller than 22"x14"x9".

*if you have the dimensions correctly measured, the opening would be 14x9 but "something" is telling me that 14x9 is the outside measurement of the sizer
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PaperQueen
+1

Like DeaconFlyer, I just adore it when someone shoehorns a massive bag into the overhead above my seat so that no one else's carryon will fit.
Actually, this is a known technique for avoiding a middle seat passenger on airlines that have open boarding. Okay, WN. There is a higher probability that a late boarder will sit in your row if they can get a bag overhead. So fill it up quickly and effectively and reduce the possibility of a middle seat passenger.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:36 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Let me guess - the reason for the vagueness of your response is due to this regulation being yet another pointless exercise in the inappropriate classification of material under a bogus classification code (i.e., the regulation is SSI).
SSI isn't a classfication; that's why nearly everyone who breathes can get access to it so long it is a part of their job.

Originally Posted by LAXguy1748
Since it apparently is a larger size than the airlines limitation, does it really matter what the measurement is?
To some.

If it was a TSO, this is wrong on many counts.
  1. Screening process does not begin until the TDC, per posters on here, the TSA blog and multiple media articles; and, even at this point it is only screening of identification documents
  2. Screening of the actual person does not begin until walking through the WTMD
  3. Screening of property does not begin until personal articles are placed on the X-ray in-feed and have passed through the first set of lead curtains, so the drink should not need to be "voluntarily surrendered" until this point in the process
  4. If a TSA grabbed anything out of my hands, I would defend myself accordingly and call for a LEO for theft charges
Actually, submission of property for screening begins when it is placed on the belt; the curtains aren't involved.

A person also submits for screening when walking through the WBI or requesting a patdown and passing through the WTMD/WBI/ADA gate.

As far as defending "yourself", defense of your drink or anything else grabbed out of your hands, (rightful repossession) is much more limited than defense of person-- pretty much limited to grabbing it back in most cases without the use of too much physical force against the other person. I suppose you could chase someone and catch them, but if you were to tackle them, it might cross the line in some jurisdictions depending on the item and how it was taken in the first place.

As far as calling the cops, they will laugh at you and call it a 'civil' issue unless you fail the attitude test in which case all bets are off . . . I wouldn't try this in PHL for example.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
Originally Posted by bocastephen
What terminal was this? I've never seen a bag sizer at or anywhere near the ID checking station or WTMD/Xray at FLL - or anywhere else for that matter.

Are you sure it was the TSA? The Delta terminal has some pretty dimwitted line matrons and this sounds like it could be their work.
It was definately a TSO, terminal 4.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chugger1
It was definately a TSO, terminal 4.
Ohhh---Terminal 4 - the 'badlands'. I never go there...that's where Spirit operates from
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by goalie
if 22"x14"x9" is the "approved size", how about a tape measure or ruler to measure the dimensions of the sizer? 5 hockey pucks says the inside* dimensions are smaller than 22"x14"x9".

*if you have the dimensions correctly measured, the opening would be 14x9 but "something" is telling me that 14x9 is the outside measurement of the sizer
Not the TSA sizer, but.. I asked a AA G/A once what the size if the sizers are for AA. She said she believed they are 1 inch larger than the allowable dimensions. So, I take this to mean the sizers are 23x15x10. I never verified this, but maybe I will one day.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Ohhh---Terminal 4 - the 'badlands'. I never go there...that's where Spirit operates from
Okay, I'm busted, I thought mentioning Terminal 4 would be enough, but yes........I was flying on Spirit. Let the flaming commence.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Okay, I'm busted, I thought mentioning Terminal 4 would be enough, but yes........I was flying on Spirit. Let the flaming commence.
No need - you suffered enough
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:17 pm

Although current policy is that TSA does not enforce baggage size limits, there is a planned changed to allow this to be FSD discretion.

The flexibility is necessary to accomodate the needs of different airports. In some airports, the TSA will not enforce the policy. But some airlines have requested TSA assistance, and the change will allow TSA to assist. In some cases the FSD will enforce size and quantity limits of carry-on as a way of decreasing wait times at checkpoints.

castro
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's kinda like having to stand up the first time at a 12 step program, eh.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by castrobenes
Although current policy is that TSA does not enforce baggage size limits, there is a planned changed to allow this to be FSD discretion.

The flexibility is necessary to accomodate the needs of different airports. In some airports, the TSA will not enforce the policy. But some airlines have requested TSA assistance, and the change will allow TSA to assist. In some cases the FSD will enforce size and quantity limits of carry-on as a way of decreasing wait times at checkpoints.

castro
BS expansion of federal authority into yet another revenue protection scheme. Nice racketeering mechanism in place there.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:39 pm

BS expansion of federal authority into yet another revenue protection scheme. Nice racketeering mechanism in place there.
It is an excercise not expansion of authority. Current law gives TSA control of the screening process. Up until now TSA senior management has chosen not to enforce these limits, but that does not mean that the federal government does not have the authority to act to enforce if they want.

castro
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by castrobenes
It is an excercise not expansion of authority. Current law gives TSA control of the screening process. Up until now TSA senior management has chosen not to enforce these limits, but that does not mean that the federal government does not have the authority to act to enforce if they want.

castro
It is a BS action of the federal government sticking its nose into revenue protection. Given that different carriers have different size limits and quantities, which airline policy is going to win when the damn TSA has a multi-airline C/P?

TSA should stay the frack out of revenue management and focus EXCLUSIVELY on WEI. Anything else is BS.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a BS action of the federal government sticking its nose into revenue protection. Given that different carriers have different size limits and quantities, which airline policy is going to win when the damn TSA has a multi-airline C/P?

TSA should stay the frack out of revenue management and focus EXCLUSIVELY on WEI. Anything else is BS.
^^

Another kool-aid drinker.

If asked if I would pay more taxes to build prisons to incarcerate TSA employees I would say yes.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:50 pm

Oh, he was definately a TSO, in standard issue uniform with his cheapo badge prominantly displayed. I am a LEO, and in no way would I defend the TSA, but to say what he did was theft would be a stretch. According to SATTSO, it's part of his job description now.
Actually, it's been part of the job description for some years; for the most part we simply do not enforce it. Why limit size of bags and amount of bags for security? The same reason the amount of people allowed through the checkpoint is limited - and as a LEO you should understand why.

The only time I have really seen this enforced is when the bag us clearly meant for checked-in luggage, or if the person has far too many bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.