Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I fly with gold coins/bullion?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:39 pm

if i had that much gold to move somewhere i would do it either myself personally in the most inconspicous way possible, ie rent a car and drive, maybe even have a second person in another car to follow just in case there is an accident or something like that, or i would pay a professional courier service that specializes in this sort of thing.
every person you encounter that gains knowledge of what you are carrying is a potential threat. you never know who knows who, and what they talk about that can be overheard. if i had crime-committing tendancies, and i overheard a couple of smurfs talking about the guy that just went through with a quarter-mil in gold in his bag, my ears might prick up a little. news travels fast and you cold very easily have a "welcoming committee" at your destination.
for sure i wouldn't be asking for advice on an internet forum.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:35 pm

I suggest you find the old 60 MINUTES news story with Ed Bradley and how he was detained in a Texas airport just for having some cash. Granted he did bait law enforcement by purchasing a one way ticket with cash. I think this story was pre 9-11... Does anyone have a link to the video or story?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Centurion
I suggest you find the old 60 MINUTES news story with Ed Bradley and how he was detained in a Texas airport just for having some cash. Granted he did bait law enforcement by purchasing a one way ticket with cash. I think this story was pre 9-11... Does anyone have a link to the video or story?
I believe this episode also included an interview with an elderly black man who had his entire life savings confiscated by airport police thugs under the guise of 'drug money'. It was absolutely enraging to watch it.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by modern
I need to move a quantity of gold from a safe deposit box in one state to another. I could send it registered mail but they limit insurance to $25k, so it would be more than a dozen shipments. And I have the problem of timing, since I would need to be in one state to ship and another to accept the shipment.

Anybody know if I can carry on, say 100 or 200 ounces of gold coins/bars each time I fly? (Gold is currently $1,225 per ounce) Any money laundering laws I need to worry about? TSA restrictions?

This is strictly domestic US, no international movement.
Despite the prevailing opinions here, I have dealt with many folks traveling with large amounts of gold (for me, large amounts means more than 50 pounds of it). My airport isn’t all that big, but we get them 2-3 times a month. Just ask for a private screening. It adds maybe 10 minutes to your checkpoint experience and then you are on your way.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (LT Plat, ex-ConciergeKey), SPG (Plat), DL (Diamond), Marquis Jet Card
Originally Posted by TSORon
Despite the prevailing opinions here, I have dealt with many folks traveling with large amounts of gold (for me, large amounts means more than 50 pounds of it). My airport isn’t all that big, but we get them 2-3 times a month. Just ask for a private screening. It adds maybe 10 minutes to your checkpoint experience and then you are on your way.
This is what I ended up doing a month ago at EWR, and it added maybe 5 minutes at most. After my bag with 140 ounces of gold coins (20 in each sealed tube) hit the xray, the operator starting waving for help. An agent took my bag, I asked for a private screening, another agent joined us and we walked over to a small room, they opened the bag and took out my coins, took a look, we chatted a bit, and that was that. Really easy and the bag and gold never left my line of sight.

Last week I flew out with again, this time with about 20 ounces of gold coins in my bag. Sailed through the xray machine no questions asked.

Only problem now is my safe deposit box is on the top row and the bank teller is having a hard time lifting it back up and I still have another 15 pounds of gold to move!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:51 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
A couple of questions:

1. Can you request a private screening before you go though the X-Ray?

Assuming you can't request a private screening before the X-Ray, then...

2. If the X-Ray has a problem with your bag (with gold and/or silver in it) can you always request a private screening at that point, and must the screeners go through your bag with you watching so you can maintain security of your contents?

3. If it's a domestic flight, is there really a reason to be carrying receipts showing how you acquired the gold or silver? It's not like you need to carry receipts if you're carrying $50,000 worth of cameras and lenses, or wearing a diamond ring that could worth $100,000 or whatever. Why would transporting your own gold coins, for instance, be more of an issue?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (LT Plat, ex-ConciergeKey), SPG (Plat), DL (Diamond), Marquis Jet Card
1. No. You and your bags go through the xray machine first, even if you request, as I did, the private screening before the xray. The screeners take the problem bag, you put on your shoes and belt and grab your other stuff and follow them to a private area.

2. I believe so.

3. There are no limits on carrying valuable items in the US that I am aware of, I had $200,000 in gold and not one question was asked as to the value or why I had it.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:43 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by modern
1. No. You and your bags go through the xray machine first, even if you request, as I did, the private screening before the xray. The screeners take the problem bag, you put on your shoes and belt and grab your other stuff and follow them to a private area.

2. I believe so.

3. There are no limits on carrying valuable items in the US that I am aware of, I had $200,000 in gold and not one question was asked as to the value or why I had it.
That's what I thought -- I couldn't remember a situation where it seemed like it was possible to make a private screening request before the X-Ray, which means we can likely count on the X-Ray potentially not liking the dense objet it can't ID, which will lead to a request for a private screening.

On another thread I saw a few posts suggesting that one use a "regular" lock on the carry-on with the valuables (not a TSA lock since carry-ons do not have to have TSA locks) which pretty much forces the screeners to ask you to open the bag, which gives you that much more "ability" to be sure that the bag is only opened in your presence in a private screening. Seems like a good idea to me.

And lastly, I agree. The TSA is charged with making sure that no items make it on the plane which could threaten the plane or other passengers; they are not charged with asking you how you came into possession of your own valuables, whether they be gold coins or bars or diamond rings or cameras or whatever.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:05 pm

I have some American Eagle gold coins I inherited. I am moving to another state and will be flying. Can I take these coins through airport security?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Carol Keslinke
I have some American Eagle gold coins I inherited. I am moving to another state and will be flying. Can I take these coins through airport security?
Sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.