Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by red456
Or better yet - don't tell them anything.
If they discover after the fact that you had a belt but didn't remove it, say that you were so busy trying to get everything else ready for inspection that you must have missed that part of the presentation.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by chugger1
Interesting.....and if you're selected for a random pat-down and they discover a belt under your untucked shirt, is there a penalty for lying to them?

As a LEO, I can tell you, there is a penalty for lying to me. I can take you to jail if I want. There are numerous statutes for giving false information to a LEO, but then smurfs really aren't...oh, we won't go there. If I lied to them, and if that is a crime, I wouldn't expect them to extend me any professional courtesy because they have never extended me any professional courtesy in the past (I guess my shaving cream was going to bring down the plane), but that's okay because that behavior goes both ways. They get no discretion from me, none, zero, on traffic stops or any other contact I have with them when I'm in uniform and they're in civilian clothes. Screw them and their attitudes. The terrorists have won and the TSO is their errand boy.
Nah, won't get in trouble for lying that you forgot your belt and left it on.

And we are not LEOs. No argument there

I do understand professional your anger, but also realize when I fly, even at the airport I work, all the regulations apply to me as well. I am not allowed to slip through with anything either, just like you. I am not saying you have to accept it. But I suspect most here are ok with that, that neither you nor I can have the rules bent for us.

And luckily, I have not run into you! The LEOs I have met have been kind, and have cut me the breaks you are well familiar with. But I don't expect it; I do not ask for it.

And if you pull over a TSO and they give you their government ID, whether it be the DHS badge or SIDA badge, I suggest you hold onto it, and immediately report it to the local TSA headquarters before you let the TSA employee go. They should know better than to try to use those, and deserve what they get.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by JSmith1969
And the reason for TSA's new belt fetish is...?
To make it easier for the screeners of course. If they have too many things to make decisions about, it confuses them.

I'd like to be there when the SEA clowns see their first non-metal pair of suspenders (yes, there are such things - google). Belts off, wait that's not a belt, but it's holding up his pants, off, on, my head hurts !
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SATTSO
I do understand professional your anger, but also realize when I fly, even at the airport I work, all the regulations apply to me as well.
No one cares if the regulations apply to you when you fly (though I'm quite sure that when you report to work, you won't have to take off your belt, shoes, nor be photographed naked by a poorly trained, unprofessional luggage screener). We care that the regulations are idiotic, make no one safer, and make getting on a plane ever more inconvenient and invasive for absolutely no reason.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 21, 2010 at 5:36 pm Reason: avoiding FT censor
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by PresRDC
They ain't cops.
Yet. That will change when Pistole gets his way.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Almost 8 years since I was last required to de-belt and it happened to me today at ORD, AA elite check-in. They were cattle car-ing everyone through the Nude-O-Scope.

This is depressing.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
I hereby predict Sansabelt slacks will make a comeback!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Almost 8 years since I was last required to de-belt and it happened to me today at ORD, AA elite check-in. They were cattle car-ing everyone through the Nude-O-Scope.

This is depressing.
Did you opt-out? If not, why not?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Nah, won't get in trouble for lying that you forgot your belt and left it on.

And we are not LEOs. No argument there

I do understand professional your anger, but also realize when I fly, even at the airport I work, all the regulations apply to me as well. I am not allowed to slip through with anything either, just like you. I am not saying you have to accept it. But I suspect most here are ok with that, that neither you nor I can have the rules bent for us.

And luckily, I have not run into you! The LEOs I have met have been kind, and have cut me the breaks you are well familiar with. But I don't expect it; I do not ask for it.

And if you pull over a TSO and they give you their government ID, whether it be the DHS badge or SIDA badge, I suggest you hold onto it, and immediately report it to the local TSA headquarters before you let the TSA employee go. They should know better than to try to use those, and deserve what they get.

I have to question why TSA and its employees are treating citizens like common criminals when our only intent is to fly on a commercial aircraft.

Strip Searches, Pat Downs, disrobing completely or even partially are not acceptable steps that government TSA flunkies should be subjecting citizens to.

How do you account for your actions?

I call them criminal!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:24 am

I have flown through countless airports with my belt on and no problem from the WTMD. But in DTW a couple of weeks ago it alerted on it. Maybe they are upping the sensitivity. Of course when I mentioned that my belt never alerts anywhere else, the response from the screener was, "congratulations".
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
New Frisking Policy

New frisking policy at Logan to punish people who opt out!

http://bostonherald.com/news/regiona...icleid=1276131

THIS REALLY SUCKS!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wimpie

THIS REALLY SUCKS!
This confirms what we thought was happening. I foresee lawsuits for sexual assault.

----

Boston Herald poll - 59% against new security measures; 41% in favor.

How far behind can actual strip searches be - within the next 2 years, after the next event?

Last edited by doober; Aug 21, 2010 at 9:15 am
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First

THIS REALLY SUCKS!
Garbage from Ann Davis:

“TSA is in the process of implementing an enhanced patdown at security checkpoints as one of our many layers of security,” said Ann Davis, TSA spokeswoman for the Northeast region. “Patdowns are designed to address potentially dangerous items, like improvised explosive devices and their components, concealed on the body.”
Because before this new sexual harassment, planes were dropping out of the skies over American from explosive devices and their components being concealed on the body and not being found by the WTMD or the ETP/ETD tests.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:11 am

Justine Griffin, a senior vice president at Rasky Baerlein Communications and frequent flier, said yesterday, “The most important thing is to have an effective patdown. If using the back of the hand is less effective, then security trumps niceties.”

And you know what? I don't have an issue with the very thorough but professional patdowns performed in many countries, which are combined with effective and professional security measures.

It just seems like TSA keeps adding more and more things to try and look effective, and it is apparently convincing a large segment of the population that they are indeed continually enhancing airport security by doing so.

Quality over quantity.

If scanners get me through a little quicker and a little safer I'm okay with it.
And this is the ignorance of much of the flying public.

Last edited by exbayern; Aug 21, 2010 at 11:22 am
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

THIS REALLY SUCKS!
time to start using the phrase, "please give it a good squeeze as it's been a while"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.