Search

Taking a Xbox 360 through TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Taking a Xbox 360 through TSA

For those of you that don't know what an Xbox 360 is:

It is a gaming console produced by Microsoft. It comes in either black or white (white is more common since it is cheaper.) It is 12.15 in length x 10.15 in width x 3.27 in height. Weighs about 8 pounds. There are several cords to connect to the TV, internet, electrical outlet, etc.

I'm asking how this would fly with TSA. I'm not planning as of now to take my Xbox, but I'm asking this for my personal knowledge and the knowledge of others since I searched and nothing came up.

If I ever was to take it through, I'd obviously take it out as if it was a laptop.

More so, would TSA officers question it as a bomb? It is a pretty big console and I see how it could easily be concieved as one.

Last edited by N639DL; Jul 22, 2010 at 10:50 pm Reason: correction on weight of xbox 360
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
From what I remember (from the last time I was barked at), game consoles are OK in carry-on baggage, but you'll have to pull it out and put it through the X-Ray separately. I doubt anyone will fail to recognize it as an XBox 360. (Unless you get a TSO who's been living under a rock for 5 years.)
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:40 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage
I have taken my Xbox 360 as a carry-on international before. Now you will have to take it out like you said. However I suggest packing the cords in a gallon size bag and rubber band (two-way) your games together. This is so that all you have to do is throw the 360 in a bucket and the rest in the next bucket. I learned the hard way and it was not fun.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by N639DL
"For those of you that don't know what an Xbox 360 is:

It is a gaming console produced by Microsoft. It comes in either black or white (white is more common since it is cheaper.) It is 12.15 in length x 10.15 in width x 3.27 in height. Weighs about 8 pounds. There are several cords to connect to the TV, internet, electrical outlet, etc.

I'm asking how this would fly with TSA. I'm not planning as of now to take my Xbox, but I'm asking this for my personal knowledge and the knowledge of others since I searched and nothing came up.

If I ever was to take it through, I'd obviously take it out as if it was a laptop.

More so, would TSA officers question it as a bomb? It is a pretty big console and I see how it could easily be concieved as one."
I've seen these before being taken through a checkpoint. I would take it out of the bag it is in, just like a laptop. Wouldn't it be nice if you could plug that in on the aircraft. Those long flights would just go so fast playing Battlefield or Call of Duty.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I took my 360 through the theater about three years ago, and had no issues.

Originally Posted by QUERY
I've seen these before being taken through a checkpoint. I would take it out of the bag it is in, just like a laptop. Wouldn't it be nice if you could plug that in on the aircraft. Those long flights would just go so fast playing Battlefield or Call of Duty.
And then you would end up like this guy?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ff-flight.html

Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Per the TSA blog:

"Only electronics the size of a standard laptop or larger (for example Playstation®, Xbox™, or Nintendo®), full-size DVD players, and video cameras that use video cassettes must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening."

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/04/travelin...books-and.html
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: TSA
I see Xbox 360s, WIIs and PS3s all the time. We do ask you to remove the gaming systems from your carrying bag (in a carry on situation) and run it separately. If you intend to send it in checked baggage, please make sure to put it in a case or wrap it up well to prevent damage as the bags get banged around quite a bit sometimes. The above poster was right that most flights would go so much quicker with Call of Duty (or the new Beta for Medal of Honor)!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
"I took my 360 through the theater about three years ago, and had no issues.

And then you would end up like this guy?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ff-flight.html

No, the Wake Island scenario for Battlefield is nothing like the WTC 9/11 incident and I would be wearing headphones so the other pax would not hear the screams of the enemy soldiers as I blow them up with the main gun of the Abrams MBT, shred them with .50 caliber fire, or grind them up in the tank tracks as I roll over them. Just kidding about the screams, they're dead before they can scream.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 7:44 am

No, the Wake Island scenario for Battlefield is nothing like the WTC 9/11 incident and I would be wearing headphones so the other pax would not hear the screams of the enemy soldiers as I blow them up with the main gun of the Abrams MBT, shred them with .50 caliber fire, or grind them up in the tank tracks as I roll over them. Just kidding about the screams, they're dead before they can scream.
OMNI here we come... I have noticed an automatic melee attack in the MOH beta - when you are charging at someone and firing from the hip, it automatically brings the knife into play when you get within a certain distance... At least in my experience this has happened several times. Back on point - OP I am certain that you will have very little problem with transitting the checkpoint, and if you have any questions, just ask the folks working the lane you are in!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More so, would TSA officers question it as a bomb? It is a pretty big console and I see how it could easily be concieved as one.
Intuitively, I would say that your biggest threat is theft.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Kanis91
I have taken my Xbox 360 as a carry-on international before. Now you will have to take it out like you said. However I suggest packing the cords in a gallon size bag and rubber band (two-way) your games together. This is so that all you have to do is throw the 360 in a bucket and the rest in the next bucket. I learned the hard way and it was not fun.
Good to know

^ The next stop to AVOD is allowing plug-ins for other devices (for example to play Xbox on the AVOD screen)

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Intuitively, I would say that your biggest threat is theft.
I would be concerned about that too. Also, that it wouldn't be damaged during the flight.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:50 pm

I see 5 or 10 of these a week and there is usually no issue if they are out of the bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.