Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandatory Nude-o-Scope Bill in Senate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Mandatory Nude-o-Scope Bill in Senate

Senators Klobuchar (D-MN) and Bennett (R-UT) have introduced a bill that would mandate the deployment of full body scanners in US airports. The bill would make Full Body Scanners the primary screening technique. The bill would provide for an alternative screening method for passengers with "privacy concerns." The bill contains particularly weak privacy provision that ignore many of the problems with the devices already uncovered...
Read more here:

http://epic.org/2010/07/full-body-sc...l-introdu.html

PDF of the bill:

http://epic.org/privacy/airtravel/Safer_Air_Final.pdf
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:54 pm

That is horrific.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Senators Klobuchar (D-MN) and Bennett (R-UT)

Scumbags!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Senators Klobuchar (D-MN) and Bennett (R-UT)

Scumbags!
^^^
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:25 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

‘‘(6) DEFINITIONS.—In this subsection:

. . .

‘‘(D) PRIMARY SCREENING.—The term ‘primary screening’ means the initial examination of any passenger at an airport checkpoint, including using available screening technologies to detect weapons, explosives, narcotics, or other indications of unlawful action, in order to determine whether to clear the passenger to board an aircraft or to further examine the passenger.’’
(emphasis added).

Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:29 pm

Here are the Senate Homeland "Security" members. I urge you to contact your Senator if (s)he serves on this committee and urge them to kill this disgusting bill.

Joseph I. Lieberman, Chairman (CT) Susan M. Collins, Ranking Member (ME)

Carl Levin (MI) Tom Coburn (OK)

Daniel K. Akaka (HI) Scott Brown (MA)

Thomas R. Carper (DE) John McCain (AZ)

Mark L. Pryor (AR) George V. Voinovich (OH)

Mary L. Landrieu (LA) John Ensign (NV)

Claire McCaskill (MO) Lindsey Graham (SC)

Jon Tester (MT)

Roland Burris (IL)

Edward E. Kaufman (DE)
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:34 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
Roland Burris (IL)
I wonder what his price is . . . I think he can be bought.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:36 pm

Just have us strip while we are in line. What's the big deal? Save a ton of money on nude-o-scopes.
It will just take a while for everyone to "voluntarily comply" with this arrangement.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
‘‘(D) PRIMARY SCREENING.—The term ‘primary screening’ means the initial examination of any passenger at an airport checkpoint, including using available screening technologies to detect weapons, explosives, narcotics, or other indications of unlawful action, in order to determine whether to clear the passenger to board an aircraft or to further examine the passenger.’’
Doesn't that run contrary to the Supreme Court decision allowing airport screening?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:42 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bosconet
Doesn't that run contrary to the Supreme Court decision allowing airport screening?
There was never a decision directly on point-- it goes against Supreme Court dicta and also against lower court decisions not to mention common-sense 4th Amendment analysis and application.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:45 pm

Sounds like some politicians from UT need to duke this out. I am rooting for the Chaffetz.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:48 pm

"Courts characterize the routine administrative search conducted at a security checkpoint as a warrantless search, subject to the reasonableness requirements of the Fourth Amendment. Such a warrantless search, also known as an administrative search, is valid under the Fourth Amendment if it is "no more intrusive or intensive than necessary, in light of current technology, to detect weapons or explosives, " confined in good faith to that purpose," and passengers may avoid the search by electing not to fly. [See United States v. Davis, 482 F.2d 893, 908 (9th Cir. 1973)]."

(Italics mine)
Copied from http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/optout/spp_faqs.shtm

How can you argue with that?^
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:08 pm

I am not much of a fan of the TSA. And I am vehemently opposed to strip search scanners. But I would not worry too much about this bill because it states:

The bill would provide for an alternative screening method for passengers with "privacy concerns."

Regardless of when ATR starts being used there will still be ppl who refuse the scanners so i do not think they will ever become mandatory in the U.S. Right now I think there is about 25-30% of passengers that will not use AIT as a screening method, and I feel that as abuses and awareness increase that number will grow. If it is mandatory in any form I think airline revenue will be negatively impacted so I am not too worried. With that said I am still going to write to my politicians and state my opposition to these machines.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would suggest a ongoing telephone campaign for these two at each office they have.

Let them know what we think.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by deldel
I am not much of a fan of the TSA. And I am vehemently opposed to strip search scanners. But I would not worry too much about this bill because it states:

The bill would provide for an alternative screening method for passengers with "privacy concerns."
The TSA respects no one's privacy, other than their employees under investigation for criminal activity.

I'd not trust their "alternative screening methods" one iota.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.