Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

JFK Terminal 8 escalator-related death 20 Jun 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Around 0700 this morning, a 55-year-old male passenger went head-first down the right-side escalator at the beginning of the underground passageway toward the remote (C) concourse. Unfortunately, he did not survive the accident. PAPD and medical services responded. This escalator is currently out of service while they investigate. If you ride down the parallel escalator, you can see the evidence of the accident....must have hit his head very seriously.

Probably will be in local news tomorrow.

Folks, please be careful when using these very long, steep escalators! (especially when in a hurry, as we usually are)
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Oh my goodness. My condolences to the man's family. I know exactly which escalators you're talking about.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ESpen36
If you ride down the parallel escalator, you can see the evidence of the accident....must have hit his head very seriously.
<snip>
Folks, please be careful when using these very long, steep escalators! (especially when in a hurry, as we usually are)
While very tragic, perhaps it's a bit too soon to suggest that the escalator caused this accident. There's a possibility he had a heart attack or medical problem that caused the fall. I'm sure the investigation will determine that.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:04 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
While this is an unfortunate incident,the cynic in me smells lawsuit for someguy falling down an escalator and killing himself. I hope I'm wrong.

Cheers.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Tragic. I remember as a child being scared of escalators for just this reason.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by brp
While this is an unfortunate incident,the cynic in me smells lawsuit for someguy falling down an escalator and killing himself. I hope I'm wrong.
Maybe he was wearing crocs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008...irls_to-2.html
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sad, and more related to Travel Safety than any other FlyerTalk topic (though this accident happened in JFK, it's not specific to New York, and though it happened in Terminal 8, which happens to house American Airlines, the escalator is not operated by American Airlines). /Moderator
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by videomaker
While very tragic, perhaps it's a bit too soon to suggest that the escalator caused this accident. There's a possibility he had a heart attack or medical problem that caused the fall. I'm sure the investigation will determine that.
The facts are not in. (Interestingly, I haven't seen anything on New York 1 or on nytimes.com)

There are lots of possibilities of what happened and perhaps multiple factors contributing to the cause.

Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
In the winter, if someone negligently clears the snow and ice from the front of his property and and another person slips and falls thus injuring himself, would you oppose a lawsuit as well?

I hope the AA Forum is not going to be turned into a place for the argument for "tort reform."
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Several months ago, I saw a woman at T8 at the edge of an escalator with blood on her face, conscious etc. but in a great deal of pain. The escalator had gone out of service while she was being serviced. May have been related, may have not been.

However, I feel much more comfortable taking the elevators next time
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by marksskram
Oh my goodness. My condolences to the man's family. I know exactly which escalators you're talking about.
Oh, my god!!! I don't believe it. He was such hurried to catch his flight and he need to try slowdown and not try to runs fast. These people must to be more carefully out there and don't let you fall down on the escalators.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
In the winter, if someone negligently clears the snow and ice from the front of his property and and another person slips and falls thus injuring himself, would you oppose a lawsuit as well?
I'm not sure if you're in favor of people suing over an imperfectly cleared sidewalk that may or may not have contributed to an injury causing fall. But I have a hard time considering it the property owner's negligence. People slip on ice and snow, period.

One solution to this problem of possible tort action against a property owner (notice I didn't say sidewalk owner, because most public sidewalks are owned by the municipality) is for the property owner to do nothing about clearing ice and snow. But it's not very neighborly. There are known, expected hazards in winter, and we all just do the best we can with them.

I am not a lawyer. (I understand I'm setting myself up to be sued for offering a quasi-legal opinion.)
Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:52 am

This guy was a police officer in Barbados. A police inspector actually. Just heard it on our news here. All i can say is wow.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 1:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
One solution to this problem of possible tort action against a property owner (notice I didn't say sidewalk owner, because most public sidewalks are owned by the municipality) is for the property owner to do nothing about clearing ice and snow. But it's not very neighborly. There are known, expected hazards in winter, and we all just do the best we can with them.

I am not a lawyer. (I understand I'm setting myself up to be sued for offering a quasi-legal opinion.)
IANAL either, but having suffered a broken ankle as a the result of slipping on black ice on a 'public' sidewalk in front of someone's home, it is not uncommon for local statute to hold private property owners responsible for maintenance of public right of ways and that homeowners insurance usually includes liability coverage for such accidents. It takes a lot for a slip and fall to make it to court.

As JFK is publicly maintained property, the thread topic is an altogether different kettle of fish.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:23 am

suspicious

amazing how the inspector came up to visit and went back down in a body bag.

Last edited by michael williams; Jun 22, 2010 at 1:29 pm
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Markie
Tragic. I remember as a child being scared of escalators for just this reason.
I still struggle with them for this very reason - I mentally have to count to three and essentially jump onto the escalator. And I have been a child for more than a few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.