Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Border guard used passport details to hit on women (Canada)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat

Searched but didn't find this gem:

"A BC border guard e-mailed himself the passport details of attractive women who came through his inspection line so he could hit on them later on Facebook, according to an internal government investigation..."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/reg...#ixzz0p6iK2rZ7
Old May 27, 2010, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It wouldn't be too difficult to develop a scenario where this could happen at strip search machines.
Old May 27, 2010, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It wouldn't be too difficult to develop a scenario where this could happen at strip search machines.
That could never happen. The TSA says they are used only for good and not evil; and the TSA is an honorable agency
Old May 27, 2010, 7:34 am

What an embarrassment.
Old May 27, 2010, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by nbs2
That could never happen. The TSA says they are used only for good and not evil; and the TSA is an honorable agency
Honor goes out the door as soon as something amusing arrives..
Old May 27, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All

While I believe the strip search machines are a huge waste of $$$ and an invasion of privacy, that scenario is a bit of a stretch. You really don't need a strip search machine to determine if someone is attractive. The TDC would have a much easier chance of doing this since they get the ID - just jot down the name and city. The screeners would have to justify a secondary and then some to get a look at your ID. They could probably more easily just look at your baggage tags as they come out of the x-ray.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by IslandBased
My attempt to rewrite Shakespeare wasn't very good, was it?
Old May 27, 2010, 9:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LightingGuy
Searched but didn't find this gem:

"A BC border guard e-mailed himself the passport details of attractive women who came through his inspection line so he could hit on them later on Facebook, according to an internal government investigation..."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/reg...#ixzz0p6iK2rZ7
This doesn't surprise me. This kind of thing -- and even worse -- has been done by immigration authorities for as long as I've been around, and that was even in the age before the internet was around and it's still happening.

"Genetic" checks is what some of us call this kind of approach, and it happens at ports of entry and consulates/embassies around the world and "off-site" too.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
While of course it should not have happened, and the guard should have taken the first ignore as a hint and moved on to the next woman he had on file

Furthermore, “on numerous occasions [he had] captured images and names of female travellers he had conducted primary processing on” and then sent the information to his personal e-mail account.

the story also points out this is not unique to border crossing guards, that somebody from the tax office had done the same. Where ever there are attractive women (or attractive to them) there will be creepy people trying to hook up with them.

A few years ago a TSA dink was having not clean thoughts about an attractive woman we were traveling with, too bad he was stupid enough to say them outloud without realizing it.

Funny, we never saw him at JFK again after that (his supervisor was standing next to him at the time, there was no question he was so out of line)
Old May 27, 2010, 9:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Honor -- where it exists even in small part -- often goes out the door as soon as someone is desperate enough to take desperate measures to try to land some "action" from someone "hot"/"good enough"/"easy enough" is deemed "possible"/"safe"/"worth it" to the person exploiting their work position to try to land "action".

Often it's "action" in exchange for "favors" to be provided by persons working immigration control-related functions at a port of entry or diplomatic post.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:51 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
What an embarrassment.
yup and abuse of authority at its very best

give it time, give it time (and i can't wait for it to happen just to see the tsa spin it)
Old May 27, 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by nbs2
My attempt to rewrite Shakespeare wasn't very good, was it?
And I thought you were paying tribute to Julius Caesar.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
And I thought you were paying tribute to Julius Caesar.
Et tu, CBSA?
Old May 27, 2010, 1:28 pm

my ex-girlfriend had one significantly larger than the other.... wonder
how the TSA screener would react if they see it on the nude-o-meter....
Old May 27, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
And this is a prime example of why the strip-search machines are a bad idea, and why one should never present ID with an address on it to a TSA screener.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.