Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Argue with a screener - your name goes on a list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Argue with a screener - your name goes on a list

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
I only use my NEXUS card. The DL number was for the LEO.
You were operating a motor vehicle?
Old May 25, 2010, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Dec 5, 2010 at 7:32 pm
Old May 25, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You were operating a motor vehicle?
No. However, I chose to show them my CA DL for various reasons, including the fact that they saw it as I decided to avoid going through the struggle of beating a misdemeanor charge on an unlawful arrest issue.
Old May 25, 2010, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bart
OK. Then we disagree. I think such a database is useful. I agree that there are issues concerning how it would be used, and until those are resolved, then it's best left alone. But I don't understand objections to the basic concept.
The problem with the "basic concept" is that it's hard to see a way that it could be used that's not a Fifth Amendment violation and if it's not going to be used, there's no justification for the list.

As to your claim that an incident recorded in the database is a "documented fact", that's not the standard required by the Fifth Amendment: it requires "due process of law", which, in turn, means some adversarial proceedings where witnesses testify and are cross-examined.

Your comment that it's the "airline's decision" also misses the point that the decision is being made based on information provided by the government. You're quite correct that an airline is permitted to maintain a list of people who they claim has caused problems on their aircraft and refuse to accomodate such a person. It's when the government gets into the process and provides information that's been collected without due process of law with the understanding that some other entity is going to use that information to deny some service to that person that a Fifth Amendment issue arises.
Old May 25, 2010, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Old May 25, 2010, 3:01 pm

I don't understand the objection to tracking potentially violent behavior based on a documented history of prior behavior.
Because "documented" often means "my word against his" and has not been validated as being true in any court of law. If the TSA wanted to maintain a database that recorded convictions of people who've committed crimes at a checkpoint, there's no problem at all.
Old May 25, 2010, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Old May 25, 2010, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really. But there's no point to discussing this any further.

I'll just leave it at this: if an airline GSC reviews the information and determines it to be valid, then this should contribute to a fly/no-fly decision.
A decision by the airline not the government!
Old May 25, 2010, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
All I'm saying is that I agree with the basic concept. I leave it up to the lawyers to determine the legalities.
Your statement above reminds me too much of a concept favored by some Army types: Kill them All--Let God Sort Them Out.

BDO voodoo.
I'm shocked. I spot a TSO whose blind faith is slipping.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 25, 2010 at 7:16 pm Reason: remove imflammatory comment
Old May 25, 2010, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
So, who here is worried about their name going on a list? I think an excellent civil disobedience exercise would be for as many people as possible to get on the list in an attempt to make it worthless. Could be fun too.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
So, who here is worried about their name going on a list? I think an excellent civil disobedience exercise would be for as many people as possible to get on the list in an attempt to make it worthless. Could be fun too.
Expected it would happen sooner or later because of TSA's star-chamber-esque mode of operation. Got to document those unhappy passengers, especially the mouthy ones. Too bad that the people who allow this rolling outrage to continue (Congress) don't so something about it. Safety at any cost? Paid too much for too little with few substantial results.

I used to joke about being on TSA's frequent complainer list. 10,000 complaints gets you an orange (to ward off scurvy) and a kick in the seat of your pants to get you on your way. Sometimes a comment made in jest/sarcastically is spot on.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bocastephen
No. Simple answer - we don't add someone to a government list because they are a trouble maker or difficult person - unless you are getting the US confused with China or the UK.

If someone threatens or hits a screener, then call the police. No different than if someone threatens me on the street.
Agree. The legal system exists for a reason, with rules of evidence and the right to a trial.

A list, that may be used to deny freedoms or privileges to a passenger is a form of punishment.

OK. Then we disagree.

I'm not talking about passengers who verbally disagree with a TSO (as indicated by the title of this thread). I'm talking about those who physically strike TSOs or destroy property. I think people who display this type of behavior at a checkpoint have a potential for exhibiting this same type of behavior in the passenger cabin at 30,000 feet regardless of whether or not they were arrested by the police.

I don't see anything sinister in this.
Disagree. I've been witness to screeners that push people to a breaking point. We both know that many screeners see themselves in a position of power - when people are running late or screeners are being obnoxious. I was there when a LTSO threatened to have a passenger detained by police "to make sure you miss your flight". That - and the reaction of the passenger thereto is a lot different than what is likely to happen in the flight levels.

Originally Posted by PTravel
I agree with you regarding passengers who resort to physical violence or destruction directed at a screener (or other TSA employee). However, this from the article:

"Incidents in the database include threats, bullying or verbal abuse, remarks about death or violence, brandishing a real or fake weapon, intentionally scaring workers or excessive displays of anger such as punching a wall or kicking equipment, the report says."

Threats? Perhaps.

Bullying? What, exactly, is "bullying" in this context? Is it bullying when I call a screener's bluff and say, "Let's summon a LEO." How about when I ask for a supervisor? How about when I believe, in good faith, that a screener is wrong? Or rude? This TSA "rule" chills First Amendment speech and is presumptively unconstitutional.

Verbal abuse? 'Fraid not. I have a constitutional right to call a TSO stupid (and irrespective of whether he is stupid or not). "Verbal abuse" is constitutionally-protected speech.

Remarks about death or violence?Depends. If they're perceived as threats, possibly.

Brandishing a real or fake weapon? Absolutely -- no argument there. Note, though, that "brandishing" has a legal definition. A child with a water pistol is not "brandishing."

Intentionally scaring workers? It depends. Putting someone in apprehension of an immediate, unpermitted contact is the legal definition of assault. Obviously, assault on TSA personnel should be (and is) illegal. Is it "scaring" a worker if I say, "I'm writing a letter of complaint!"? How about, "Please call your supervisor, the FSD, GSC and a LEO right now!"?

Excessive displays of anger such as punching a wall or kicking equipment? I'll accept the two examples given as appropriate. I find "excessive displays of anger," too broad and constitutionally vague. I have a constitutional right to be angry at a screener. I have a constitutional right to communicate that anger to the screener.

This appears to be yet another instance in which the TSA has decided to exercise discretion to sanction a broad range of constitutionally-protected activities.

Oh, and as a reminder to everyone, you are under no legal obligation whatsoever to provide any information to TSA for their "incident reports" that, as we all suspected, appear to be used, in violation of law, to provide data for this recently revealed list.
The problem is one of interpretation and power. The TSA holds the power with this database to not only punish the person that day, but every flight in the future. And there is no guarantee it won't end up as a "no fly" list.

As long as screeners and supervisors can add people to this list without due process there is a strong probability of abuse. Like reporters that end up on the watch list if they are critical of the agency.

We have to remember that the TSA loathes due process, giving its employees every chance to abuse passengers. Most don't - but enough do that this kind of list is a really, really bad idea.
Old May 27, 2010, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Blogger Bob has posted the official TSA response to the story.

Funny how he left out facts that are really pertinent.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Funny how he left out facts that are really pertinent.
That's how propaganda works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.