Search

Fix A Port, Kill A Farm

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 4:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Fix A Port, Kill A Farm

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ver...olster_border/

There has to be a better way to accomplish this than killing a historic dairy farm and wasting millions.
Old May 18, 2010, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
How sad.
Old May 18, 2010, 5:45 am

More BS at the border!
Old May 18, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Hello, Janet Napolitano, remember us down here in Arizona?

Perhaps instead of seizing the property of small farmers in Vermont and spending $8 million on a little-used Canadian border crossing, you could leave that guy alone and use some of the money down here?

You know, in Arizona, where we have drug war border murders and violence, kidnappings, a plague of identity theft, numerous fatal crashes of speeding vans full of illegals, etc. since you decided not to secure the border?
Old May 18, 2010, 8:47 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many more acres could they possibly need to inspect 40 cars per day; who drew up this plan?

I love how the government is able to tell them that a section of their land is insignificant to their operation.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Can the farmer sue to block the effort and get it tied up in court? I'm sure there are lots of lawyers who would help out on this pro bono.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:32 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Can the farmer sue to block the effort and get it tied up in court? I'm sure there are lots of lawyers who would help out on this pro bono.
Yeah, he can sue. It'll get tied up in court for a shory while at least, but I don't think that he will have much of a case other than perhaps a pissing match over the dollar amount. Remember that the 5th Amendment requires just compensation, not total compensation, so . . .

If you know a lawyer that would want to take this up, perhaps you should make the match. It does look like they are trying to work it our for the moment with this community meeting, but I don't trust DHS and Nappy to play nice with others in any event.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Lightbulb Here's a plan: Why not get the cows to help out?

Cows could be used to block up the road and slow down traffic going through this border crossing, thus giving CBP agents all the time they need to conduct proper inspections of the 3 cars per hour that would use this crossing. If additional time is needed, stools and pails can be brought roadside and the cows could be milked while standing in lane.

Let's start thinking of cows as the next layer of security. In this bold new 21st century, why not make Bovine Patrol the 21st layer? CBP can then also stand for Civilian Bovine Patrol...

Or, the farmers and cows can be deputized and used for security. The government could then pay them for their services, creating an income stream to replace the income that taking this property would affect. In being deputized, the cows would also enjoy the same benefits as drug sniffing dogs. (Could cows be trained as drug sniffers? That would be another reason to do this...)

Instead of thinking so one dimensionally, our government should start trying to be agile and sneaky. After all, what terrorist would ever suspect that his plans of destroying America could be tipped off by a cow? (That puts a whole new spin to "cow tipping" now, doesn't it?)

Cows. Providing us with milk for better bodies. And now protecting them from being blown up too. The BovineAgent Protection Program™ should be put into action immediately.
Old May 18, 2010, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I've got a better idea: Let's set up a TSA checkpoint there. After all, the TSA has done such a great job protecting our airports that we could send a few up there to walk through cow dung for a few shifts.

The one downside is being the guy who has to check out the cows walking through the nude-o-scopes.

Mike
Old May 18, 2010, 12:28 pm

Talking Juvenile reply...

Originally Posted by mikeef
The one downside is being the guy who has to check out the cows walking through the nude-o-scopes.

Mike
Must....
Resist...
Udder...
Comment...

<b>*GASP*</b>

Whoa! Check out this set!!

Old May 18, 2010, 12:37 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by bfetch
Must....
Resist...
Udder...
Comment...

<b>*GASP*</b>

Whoa! Check out this set!!

"I was just helping that cow across the border."
Old May 18, 2010, 12:48 pm
KCK

Sounds like they need a new facility, but 4.9 acres? Given the limited traffic through there, I think a half acre would would be adequate.
Old May 18, 2010, 4:01 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KCK
Sounds like they need a new facility, but 4.9 acres? Given the limited traffic through there, I think a half acre would would be adequate.
My point exactly.
Old May 19, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Ari
Yeah, he can sue. It'll get tied up in court for a shory while at least, but I don't think that he will have much of a case other than perhaps a pissing match over the dollar amount. Remember that the 5th Amendment requires just compensation, not total compensation, so . . .

If you know a lawyer that would want to take this up, perhaps you should make the match. It does look like they are trying to work it our for the moment with this community meeting, but I don't trust DHS and Nappy to play nice with others in any event.
The just compensation standard has essentially evolved to mean FMV, though the government has way too much leeway in determining what FMV is. That said, that group of beachfront home owners in NC (I think it was NC) were actually able to get the Supreme Court in their favor on a government seizure by showing no legitimate government interest in the specific property. If the farmer could show that CBP doesn't need this much land (shouldn't be too hard, given the number of cars that cross), they would have a fighting chance.

I just took a look at where the crossing is.

You have got to be kidding me with this. They are MAYBE 10 miles from the major crossing at Highgate Springs/Saint-Armand on I-89. There are 2 other probably equally little used crossings between Morses Line and I-89. There is absolutely no legitimate interest in this. Sorry, CBP wanting more comfortable offices is NOT a legitimate interest.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 19, 2010 at 1:09 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.