Wiki Posts
Search

when fellow pax won't turn off iphone?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 9:36 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jcd2147
He's probably the same guy that won't turn the Bose off for landing.

Originally Posted by fly-yul
I would be too busy typing on my blackberry to notice.
Old May 11, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by *wood
Ignore it.
A BIG +1
Old May 11, 2010, 10:44 pm

My iPhone has an airplane mode which, I am told, is allowed on airplanes. I have my phone in that mode from the time we get to the boarding area. THere are lots and lots of things I can still do/play on my iPhone when it is in airplane safe mode.

FA's have occasionally asked me if I'm in airplane mode, but so far none has asked me to show them the settings. There's a little icon that turns off (no more 3G) - it's pretty easy to see whether the phone has become a simple gaming device. I like the games having to do with geography and flags.

It eases anxiety during take-off to have something to do.

What's the big deal and why would you think that someone doesn't know how to use their iPhone? It's one of the more obvious features of the phone.

Or are there still rules banning having anything in your lap during takeoff?

If it's so dangerous to have phones on, you'd think they'd invent a sensor that the FA's could use to detect errant turned-on phones.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by LuvsParis
It eases anxiety during take-off to have something to do.

What's the big deal and why would you think that someone doesn't know how to use their iPhone? It's one of the more obvious features of the phone.

Or are there still rules banning having anything in your lap during takeoff?
I believe there's an FAA rule (or perhaps just a widely-practiced airline rule) that all electronic devices must be switched off and stowed for takeoff and landing. So while you can use your iPhone in airplane mode at cruising altitude, most airlines officially won't let you use it (or your Walkman, Gameboy or Atari Lynx for that matter) from when the door closes for pushback until the plane climbs above 10,000 feet. Most of us think it's a stupid rule, but it is a rule.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by themicah
I believe there's an FAA rule (or perhaps just a widely-practiced airline rule) that all electronic devices must be switched off and stowed for takeoff and landing. So while you can use your iPhone in airplane mode at cruising altitude, most airlines officially won't let you use it (or your Walkman, Gameboy or Atari Lynx for that matter) from when the door closes for pushback until the plane climbs above 10,000 feet. Most of us think it's a stupid rule, but it is a rule.
And....Most of us just ignore it
Old May 12, 2010, 1:06 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themicah
Correct.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
And....Most of us just ignore it
I ignore it when it comes to my Bose; that's why I always like to sit on the right side of the aisle. I turn everything else off for takeoff.

I believe the vast majority of the flying public obeys the rule; FT'ers are exceptions to a lot of generalities about the flying public.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Just let it go. It's not going to bring the plane down.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 2K, Marriott Platinium, Global Entry, Hyatt Diamond
I wouldn't say anything I would just let it go.

Originally Posted by Jcd2147
He's probably the same guy that won't turn the Bose off for landing.
I wish other airlines would step up like southwest and say they are OK. I don't follow it. I am one of those right side of the plane people too.
Old May 12, 2010, 6:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Whoooooooo cares??
Old May 12, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by ats262
is the right thing to do to leave it to the FA's and say nothing? or ring the call button and let them know? it seems i'm seeing this more and more these days especially in the front cabin.
The most appropriate things to do, in order:
1. Pee your pants
2. Change your name to "Little Johnny"

But, seriously, I agree with most of the other posters here; ignore it. There is no threat created by it. Heck, a few even have the gull to put our kept-on phones up to the window and video record the taxi and take-off if we can get away with it...
Old May 12, 2010, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Some people just think the rules don't apply to them.
Old May 12, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Or, to put it another way, some people have the intelligence to ignore stupid made-up rules when breaking them carries no consequence.
Old May 12, 2010, 7:18 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clrankin
Or, to put it another way, some people have the intelligence to ignore stupid made-up rules when breaking them carries no consequence.
Better description.
Old May 12, 2010, 7:19 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
And some people seem to think it's their job to enforce or assist with the enforcement of the rules. Maybe they can hang out on the freeway, observing and ratting out speeders and other transgressors?
Old May 12, 2010, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Spiff
And some people seem to think it's their job to enforce or assist with the enforcement of the rules.
Kind of like diatribes on how TSA breaks the rules?

Originally Posted by clrankin
That's really irrelevant, isn't it? The airline has a rule. Some people think that the rule, because they deem it "silly," does not apply to them. Other people respect the conditions the airline places on your behavior when you're in their aircraft.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 12, 2010 at 9:04 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.