Search

New types of body scanners

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Question New types of body scanners

In this link
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/05...ex.html?hpt=T2

there are two videos. Watch the second video from England. You can see several interesting things.

here is the direct link to that video:
http://cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2...y.scanners.cnn

1. They have a type of body scanner that not only shows the same kind of detail as the one we got in the US but it even shows a full photographic picture of the person right next to the x-ray. So much for the separation of identity and scan. When they check out a woman they will now even be graced with her pretty face.

2. On the other hand they seem to have a body scanner where you can see only a comic-figure like display of the person, with the suspicious item's position highlighted by a red frame. Now this, I think, is very nice. I'd agree with that if there are no further medical concerns.

3. Another machine is a camera device called Thruvision. It looks like thermal imaging to me. It can detect objects under clothing from far away, even on a moving person and without that person knowing that they are screened. It's basically a see-through security camera. It doesn't pose a decency problem for me like the body scanners we currently use do. But it has a huge civil rights and privacy problem nonetheless.

What do you think?

Till
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tfar
1. They have a type of body scanner that not only shows the same kind of detail as the one we got in the US but it even shows a full photographic picture of the person right next to the x-ray. So much for the separation of identity and scan. When they check out a woman they will now even be graced with her pretty face.
Wrong. Where does it show the person's face? Jumping to conclusions there.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:11 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world
Wrong. Where does it show the person's face? Jumping to conclusions there.
When the person walks up before only the chest is visible, genius.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by star_world
Where does it show the person's face?
The man's face is fully visible momentarily as he steps into camera range. Additionally:

1) If the camera in the clip is fixed, anyone two or more inches shorter than the the demo subject would have their entire face visible throughout screening. He appears average for Euro/North American white males, so that height range includes the majority of adults. Pre-adolescent children's faces invariably will be fully viewed.

2) If the camera is not fixed, but adjusts to account for the subject's height; machine-adjusted ranging might easily bring a shorter person's entire face into view: if operator-adjusted, presumably any face the operator desires to view/record, unless the person is so tall his/her face is above the maximum height adjustment.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:14 am
Original Poster

I hadn't even thought of that as in-depth as Ari And YCTTSFM but I was certain that I saw the persons face. I watched the thing twice because I couldn't believe it. It also looked to me as if the screener wasn't locally separated from the screened pax but I'm not sure on that. Anyway, it's irrelevant if they have a full body camera image of the person on screen at the same time as the x-ray image. I think it's quite outrageous.

Till
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:47 am

what stealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

America made this scanner to scan my head to steal the prototype of chip within my head. they are stealer of the stealer.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by tfar
In this link
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/05...ex.html?hpt=T2

there are two videos. Watch the second video from England. You can see several interesting things.

here is the direct link to that video:
http://cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2...y.scanners.cnn

2. On the other hand they seem to have a body scanner where you can see only a comic-figure like display of the person, with the suspicious item's position highlighted by a red frame. Now this, I think, is very nice. I'd agree with that if there are no further medical concerns.

3. Another machine is a camera device called Thruvision. It looks like thermal imaging to me. It can detect objects under clothing from far away, even on a moving person and without that person knowing that they are screened. It's basically a see-through security camera. It doesn't pose a decency problem for me like the body scanners we currently use do. But it has a huge civil rights and privacy problem nonetheless.

What do you think?

Till
The thru-vision looks similar to the SPO-7 used (or at least it has been tested) by TSA. It operates on the same MMW system as some of the AIT machines do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.