Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

JFK Control Tower - let the little kid direct traffic for a while day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Control Tower - let the little kid direct traffic for a while day

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Because the person did not take a moment to consider that the internet and news outlets are full of busybodies and fearmongers that have no technical knowledge making a big deal of it. If only those same people would spend the energy on pressuring their elected representatives modernizing the ATC system...
Okay, so you think the only thing he did wrong, and for which he should be reprimanded, is not considering the PR aspects of his actions?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:09 pm

You can put me down for - no big deal, no kids

I think people are getting overly paranoid.

In addition to that it takes only one person to make everyone's life more difficult. You just need to browse the papers to see events/traditions that have been going on for 10, 20 30 years spoiled by one person that decides that it's not appropriate.

I got to go into the cockpit of an aircraft when I was a kid. The plane was in the air. The pilots took some time to explain stuff to me. No one freaked out and we landed safely.

As for the pat down, I think that would be a horrible job to give a kid, searching bags would be much more interesting
If you had a few kids hanging out in the security area I bet security would be better..."hey dad, why is that guy sneaking around that barrier...". Maybe newark should do bring-your-kid-to-work day...
Old Mar 8, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Joshing aside, again, NO ONE has said this was a good idea.
They didn't?

Originally Posted by Captlegs
From a commercial pilot, instructor/examiner (of 40 years):
<snip>
Bravo for this parent for allowing his kid to experience how real people earn a living.
Originally Posted by alaskamatt
This is how children develop self-confidence, aspirations, respect for their parents, and get excited about future occupations.

This man is a good father, and assuming that the child was fully supervised, made a sound judgment call.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is extremely unlikely that the child's broadcast would be the proximate cause of an accident or incident. (PTravel, please correct me if I use the term "proximate cause" incorrectly in this situation)

The only valid argument here against the kid's supervised participation in ATC activities is that his/her presence might become a link in an Accident Chain.

Investigators look at the events leading up to the accident to see if there is a point at which, if the pilot had done something else, the outcome might have been different. Starting with the accident itself, they look backward in time to reconstruct what happened. Radar tracks, witness interviews, conversations with the pilot or passengers, reviews of the pilot and aircraft logs, recent experience and training and surveys of the accident scene itself — all of these provide clues to what happened. The hard part is determining the why.

This sequence of events culminating in the mishap is called an accident chain. One of the clues can be the pilot’s physical and mental states: were there problems at home or work; what was the reason for the flight — pleasure, training, travel, etc.; when and what had he last eaten; how much sleep had he had; and so forth. Investigators might go back a few days, a week or more to see how these events might have affected this accident.
So, given enough guests over enough time at a communications control point, their presence will eventually become part of an accident chain resulting in an accident or incident.

Like everything else in life, this comes down to a risk vs. reward evaluation.

Thousands of children and adults tour active ATC facilities every year though few, admittedly, man the radios. All of them are a distraction and potential contributor to an accident chain. On the other hand, so would be a controllers argument with his wife in the minutes before he left for work. Should controllers be unmarried and celibate? Should the police be forbidden to issue tickets to ATC controllers for fear of upsetting their concentration?

Where do you draw the line? I argue that it is not whether children should transmit ATC instructions, or perform initial incisions during surgery, or answer the phone at law offices, but rather whether you hire people you can trust to handle not only the specifics of the task at hand, but, appropriately, any contingencies that may occur. For a lawyer, it may be simply the reaction of their co workers. For the surgeon, it might be that the emergency is part and parcel of the initial incision. For an ATC controller it is simply the operating conditions at the moment.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Apparently the fact that many experienced aviation technicians (but not necessarily 'professionals' or 'leaders') support the controller in question is starting to make the news as well:

Pilots show support for controller Glenn Duffy, who let his 2 kids direct traffic at Kennedy Airport (nydailynews.com)
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Angry

Originally Posted by Sykes
Apparently the fact that many experienced aviation technicians (but not necessarily 'professionals' or 'leaders') support the controller in question is starting to make the news as well:
They are the aviation Professionals and Leaders.

What are your definitions for "Professional", "Technician", or "Leader" since they are not mentioned in the article you quote?

How do they relate to my corresponding definitions of "Professional", "Cowardly", and <edit to say credulous press"?

Still, appreciate your publishing the correct view of the story.

Last edited by birdstrike; Mar 8, 2010 at 11:10 pm
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by birdstrike
They are the aviation Professionals and Leaders.

What are your definitions for "Professional", "Technician", or "Leader" since they are not mentioned in the article you quote?
My apologies ... that was a reference to Self_Loading_Ballast's post above. In retrospect, my sarcasm isn't as apparent as I hoped it would be. I'm very much on your side here.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
My apologies ... that was a reference to Self_Loading_Ballast's post above. In retrospect, my sarcasm isn't as apparent as I hoped it would be. I'm very much on your side here.
Sorry to mis-interpret,
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:54 pm

It is actually illegal. But IMO, the act is measured and considerably not harmful. Neverthless, we have laws... just too bad on the controller's part.

My wife even considered it cute. hehehe
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:43 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by PTravel
Okay, so you think the only thing he did wrong, and for which he should be reprimanded, is not considering the PR aspects of his actions?
That, and he failed to realize how namby-pamby and paranoid some percentage of people have become over anything air travel related.

Generally, that they (the ATC and the super) failed to anticipate the emotional over-reaction.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Wow. Really? I'd fire on the spot any employee who let their kid do that. May I ask what business you're in?
Well, you've just fired my father then

He was a journalist before he retired. From the age I was judged old enough to answer the home phone, I had to get used to the fact that he was frequently on call, and our evenings/weekends/days would be interupted by people calling, asking for him and leaving messages. It wasn't unprofessional of him to have his phone answered by his children, and we were perfectly capable of taking those messages. And it was a very, very regular occurrence, since if he wasn't in, and my mother was occupied, either my sister or me had to get the phone - which was connected to the wall by a cord. Way before the days of mobiles or wireless.

I suspect that this is more common in family homes than you, as a childless guy and now working in an age when we all carry our own phones, ever realised. And if you'd hung up on me (as you said you would in a later post), the only time you'd have wasted would have been your own. The fact that you have little understanding of a child's capabilities doesn't give you the right to waste your client's time when faced with a situation outside your ken. Roll with it and adapt.

As for the parent having no control? Of course he did, the kiddie was on an overridable mic - the parent would have stepped in if the kiddie started to go off piste - just as in the situation I described up thread, my ATC supervisor would (and did) for me - he had to when I hesitated on giving a wind direction.

Originally Posted by bearymore
I've been following this thread and am curious as to how people would react to this practice:

For a few years, the control tower at our local, very busy, GA airport had a holiday tradition. On the recorded, automated weather reports, updated every hour, they would use holiday words instead of the phonetic alphabet. Hence, ATIS information Romeo became ATIS information Reindeer and ATIS information Sierra became ATIS information Santa. My favorite was ATIS information Jingle bells. Eventually, the tower was reprimanded by the FAA and the practice was forbidden. If I remember correctly it was because someone on the ground who monitored the frequency felt it was unprofessional and unsafe. On the other hand, most pilots were delighted. "NXXXXX inbound for landing with Reindeer," anyone?

Opinions?
Cute, but not that good, particularly if any international flights use the airport, where pilots might not have english as a first language and be more in tune to ICAO phraseology. FAA already uses non-standard language, ignoring international convention, which has led to incidents.

Although, you could argue that because FAA has decided to ignore ICAO terminology, they've already set the precendent that it's ok to vary from standard terminology.

I can also see why the local pilots, who were aware of the custom, liked it. But concern would be someone who was unfamiliar with it, would it impede their ability to be able to follow directions?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 9, 2010 at 12:54 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Gold
A technician knows what he can get away with. A professional doesn't try to "get away with" anything. And leaders understand the importance of instilling that attitude in their people.

I understand cynicism with respect to media coverage. But even if the media were reporting this as the cutest, cuddliest, most favorable story ever, the controllers would still be wrong.

Last edited by Self_Loading_Ballast; Mar 9, 2010 at 9:40 am Reason: Grammar
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:28 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Self_Loading_Ballast
A technician knows what he can get away with. A professional doesn't try to "get away with" anything.
You mean like posting to an IBB in the middle of the work day!?!?

[ducking]
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Well, you've just fired my father then

He was a journalist before he retired. From the age I was judged old enough to answer the home phone, I had to get used to the fact that he was frequently on call, and our evenings/weekends/days would be interupted by people calling, asking for him and leaving messages. It wasn't unprofessional of him to have his phone answered by his children, and we were perfectly capable of taking those messages. And it was a very, very regular occurrence, since if he wasn't in, and my mother was occupied, either my sister or me had to get the phone - which was connected to the wall by a cord. Way before the days of mobiles or wireless.
Jenbel, that's hardly the same thing. If he got calls at home, it's natural that the phone could and would be answered by any family member. I'm speaking strictly of business lines. If I call opposing counsel's office and his kid answers, I hang up.

I suspect that this is more common in family homes than you, as a childless guy and now working in an age when we all carry our own phones, ever realised.
I have no question that it was common and, as I indicated, I have absolutely no problem with it. When I call my childed friends at thomeand their kids answer, I chat with the kids and then ask for their parents, even if it's a business related call. I'm speaking strictly of office calls -- I don't often have occasion to make a business call to someone's home (and on those rare occasions when I do, I certainly don't have a problem if their kid answers).

And if you'd hung up on me (as you said you would in a later post), the only time you'd have wasted would have been your own. The fact that you have little understanding of a child's capabilities doesn't give you the right to waste your client's time when faced with a situation outside your ken. Roll with it and adapt.
If I called opposing counsel's office and the phone was answered by a child, I'd hang up. And, if later in court, I'd have no problem telling that judge that I tried to reach opposing counsel but his phones were manned by children.

As for the parent having no control? Of course he did, the kiddie was on an overridable mic - the parent would have stepped in if the kiddie started to go off piste - just as in the situation I described up thread, my ATC supervisor would (and did) for me - he had to when I hesitated on giving a wind direction.
Kids are, by definition, immature and unpredictable. I stand by my opinion: it was unprofessional and called into serious question this controller's professional judgment.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:06 pm

If I called opposing counsel's office and the phone was answered by a child, I'd hang up. And, if later in court, I'd have no problem telling that judge that I tried to reach opposing counsel but his phones were manned by children.
I have a friend who has a high pitched voice, if you called her you could think you are talking to a child. When she calls I know it's her but apparently more than one pizza place has had issues with her voice.

So, my question, how would you know that it is a child on the end of the phone? What if you hung up on an adult?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.