Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA agent threw my child's tube feeding formula in the trash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA agent threw my child's tube feeding formula in the trash

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KCK
Anyone know what the "extra screening" consists of?
No, but it seems by the OP's remarks that the items were ETD tested. That seems like extra screening to me.

edit to add:

What other extra screening would be conducted? Opening the fricken cans?

Seems to me that the Americans with Disabilities Act might carry some weight here. I would still buy 1/2 an hour of lawyer time, tell my story and get an opinion.

TSA cannot continue violating the public as it does.!

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Feb 7, 2010 at 7:08 pm
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by doober
Actually, this is one of those times when I would call my lawyer before I'd file a complaint with the TSA.
+1.

And then make it very public, very quickly.

The LA Times would love this story, as would the NY Times. they are nationally read.

Remember that the nipple-ring passenger was given "extra screening".
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Uncreative1
I'm learning what to do next time to avoid problems if we decide to fly again.

We had no idea we had a "responsibility" to get a doctor's note. That's a new one. No one even asked us for one.
Hello. Sorry for the problems you wen through - as they are actually more than problems to you and your family. I will try to provide some answers to you.

You do not need a doctors note.

The additional screening has nothing to do with anyones disability.

Different airports have different equipment/technology. This is actually important. At SAT we have a few small, hand-held machines that "sniff" your exemptable LGAs for explosives. Because of this, the additional screening is not needed, per SOP (if any TSO is unaware of this, this info can be found in the SOP-faq).

It seems from your description no such technology was available at the airport you travelled. They "swiped" your bottles, which I think means an ETD. That is not so good at detecting LGA explosives as our portable hand-held sniffer. As such, per SOP, since they are allowing you to bring a LGA into the airport over the restricted size which really can not be cleared as an explosive using their technology, you and your property are to be screened for other additional wei.

Medically exempt LGAs do need to be in plastic bags (SOP-faq other TSOs), or if they do not fit, they will receive additional screening.

As far as what you described, you should have also been offered the opportunity to place these items in your checked luggage - according to what you wrote, they did not do that.

Um, did I cover everything? Actually not sure, a bit tired here. Note, my posting this is not my personal opinion, just providing answers - not my opinions!

if you have any questions, please ask.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

What other extra screening would be conducted? Opening the fricken cans?
Invasive pat down? Tearing apart all carry-ons?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Hello. Sorry for the problems you wen through - as they are actually more than problems to you and your family. I will try to provide some answers to you.

Different airports have different equipment/technology. This is actually important. At SAT we have a few small, hand-held machines that "sniff" your exemptable LGAs for explosives. Because of this, the additional screening is not needed, per SOP (if any TSO is unaware of this, this info can be found in the SOP-faq).

It seems from your description no such technology was available at the airport you travelled. They "swiped" your bottles, which I think means an ETD. That is not so good at detecting LGA explosives as our portable hand-held sniffer. As such, per SOP, since they are allowing you to bring a LGA into the airport over the restricted size which really can not be cleared as an explosive using their technology, you and your property are to be screened for other additional wei.

Medically exempt LGAs do need to be in plastic bags (SOP-faq other TSOs), or if they do not fit, they will receive additional screening.

As far as what you described, you should have also been offered the opportunity to place these items in your checked luggage - according to what you wrote, they did not do that.

Um, did I cover everything? Actually not sure, a bit tired here. Note, my posting this is not my personal opinion, just providing answers - not my opinions!

This post just proves the stupidity of the TSA. If an ETD is "not so good at detecting LGA explosives as our portable hand-held sniffer", then why the he!! even do it?

Has anyone else ever undergone an ETD swipe and then been sent for further screening if the result was not positive - which I assume the OP's swipe was not? And if it was positive, then you should have been informed of that and not allowed to continue to your plane without further screening even after they confiscated your child's food.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
+1 - and do it quickly so a copy of the surveillance tape can be subpoenaed before they dispose of it.
+1

Time is of the essence. Get a lawyer now, get the tape now, and then do all the rest of the suggestions such as filing a complaint and filing a news story.

And go find "Mr. Gel-Pack" and talk to him.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, this is one of those times when I would call my lawyer before I'd file a complaint with the TSA.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
+1 - and do it quickly so a copy of the surveillance tape can be subpoenaed before they dispose of it.
Agreed. If this ever happens again, call a LEO over immediately.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:39 pm
KCK

Please explain this...

From the TSA Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions webpage:
Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition; Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs; Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and, Frozen items are allowed as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 requirements. However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3.4 ounces (100ml) each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:42 pm

This post just proves the stupidity of the TSA. If an ETD is "not so good at detecting LGA explosives as our portable hand-held sniffer", then why the he!! even do it?

Has anyone else ever undergone an ETD swipe and then been sent for further screening if the result was not positive - which I assume the OP's swipe was not? And if it was positive, then you should have been informed of that and not allowed to continue to your plane without further screening even after they confiscated your child's food.
How does this prove TSAs stupidity? Are you suggesting because different technologies exist somehow this.... And this is where you lose me.

I'll explain why I don't understand you: several years ago I had a phone. It was very good, did what I needed. Now I have a new phone, and it's better. Does this make my old phone useless? The person I sold my old phone to (eBay), did they buy something useless, or can they use it still? Of course they can use it.

New technologies come out all the time. We have a newer technology at SAT. It's better than the ETD for LGA explosives (mostly). That does NOT make the ETD useless - you ask why check it at all? Because the ETD can still do what it does, that's why. And guess what, eventually, the newer technology we have now, well, there will be something better. If that is to be true, then according to your logic, why even use this new technology now?

ETD serves a purpose, and it's use does not make anyone/thing stupid.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Yet another consistent inconsistency...per the TSA website:
Originally Posted by www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm
However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3.4 ounces (100ml) each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.
(emphasis mine)

Originally Posted by www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm
Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint.
(bolding TSA, underlining mine)

Both pages state that the items are subject to inspection. Neither page states that the traveler themselves is subject to extra BS security as a result of carrying medically-permissible items.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:53 pm

I must recall my initial knee-jerk reaction. On further review, research and some logic prodding I now understand why the SOP requires extra secondary-like screening if you have a medical LGA exemption.

If the TSO can not test the liquid inside the can they have to still assume it may be an explosive. The secondary is to make sure that you are not carrying the other components that would make up a bomb. (makes sense)

If you refuse the TSO makes you dump the possible explosive in the nearest TRASH can. (makes NO sense)

My guess on why this SOP is not always followed is even TSOs don't want to mess with handicapped children.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as what you described, you should have also been offered the opportunity to place these items in your checked luggage - according to what you wrote, they did not do that

So should they have put the child in checked luggage also?

What good is it to seperate the child and the childs food from each other, especially considering that the child is on a feeding tube?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ayn R Key
+1

Time is of the essence. Get a lawyer now, get the tape now, and then do all the rest of the suggestions such as filing a complaint and filing a news story.

And go find "Mr. Gel-Pack" and talk to him.
I don't have any special knowledge beyond learning that TSA can't manage its SOPs and training well enough to keep its officers working coherently. Get a lawyer, and don't assume that the agents applied the proper secret policies to your event.

If you don't follow up with a lawyer, TSA will say that it was a mistake, and the TSO shouldn't have done that, and they'll do it again to you or someone else later. TSA management sucks for edge cases like this, and they hide their incompetence behind "SSI" and PR fluff.

Maybe I should post something in my profile about how they took the gel-pack intended to keep 13 oz of my wife's pumped breastmilk with the bogus "ice is only for medicine, not infants" rule...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by KCK
First of all, I noticed you didn't bold everything I wrote, as I checked to make sure I did include the part that if they didn't fit into a bag.

Before I post my comment, I checked everything on TSAs SOP-faq. I confirmed everything I wrote.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I must recall my initial knee-jerk reaction. On further review, research and some logic prodding I now understand why the SOP requires extra secondary-like screening if you have a medical LGA exemption.

If the TSO can not test the liquid inside the can they have to still assume it may be an explosive. The secondary is to make sure that you are not carrying the other components that would make up a bomb. (makes sense)

If you refuse the TSO makes you dump the possible explosive in the nearest TRASH can. (makes NO sense)

My guess on why this SOP is not always followed is even TSOs don't want to mess with handicapped children.
Where does the zip top bag fit in? Cause the TSA was very fixated on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.