Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

CNN report: TSA investigates air marshal field office

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CNN report: TSA investigates air marshal field office

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by halls120
Your opinion isn't BS, but it highlights the failure of government. Instead of being honest with the public and telling them no matter what we do, that there will be successful terrorist attacks - not because we aren't trying to stop them - we refuse to be honest and admit that it is impossible to achieve security perfection. Instead, we pile on ineffective TSA absurdity on top of absurdity, sacrificing our civil liberties in the process.
This is the heart of the issue. I'm still waiting for a politician to explain to me why they'd rather tolerate half a million traffic deaths annually instead of imposing draconian requirements on the issuance of driving licences or implementing expensive technical barriers to bad driving, e.g., systems that make it impossible to start a vehicle if you are impaired. As the cops are so fond of reminding us, "driving is a privilege, not a right", yet they are more willing to sacrifice 100s of thousand lives to protect this privilege, than they are to shrug off what is at most a few dozen deaths due to "terrorism" in order to protect those things which ARE our rights. Same goes for American politicians when it comes to gun control - they continue to look indifferently at the 30 - 40K killed every year by firearms rather than impose any restrictions because guns are a "second amendment right" (not that the second amendment says anything about the "right" of people who are obviously not qualified to own a firearm to do so anyway); yet 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th Amendment rights -- and other rights -- are cheerfully consigned to the dustbin in an effort to control what is by comparison is more of a nuisance than a real threat. And this is only the start of the list -- smoking, obesity, poor diet, lack of exercise, lack of infrastructure maintenance, etc. etc. etc. there are probably over a thousand things that are higher up on the list of stuff you need to worry about than terrorism, and we have no problem tolerating those deaths rather than accepting compromises to our personal liberty. Accepting things like the TSA, the war on liquids and the patriot act make about as much sense as surrendering your freedom in order to help the FBI do a better job of protecting people from alligator attacks in Central Park. Such deaths may happen, but we have far bigger problems to worry about. And of course because the TSA sucks budget away from threats that are real, the TSA is actually responsible for causing deaths -- take away the TSA budget, let a plane or two drop out of the sky every year, and spend the 40 billion saved on free yoga lessons and your net gain in lives saved would be counted in the 10s of thousands.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by tsadude1
Do you guys honestly think that this is the only group of law enforcement, fire fighters, or military that think of ideas like this? If you do, I feel sorry for you. Maybe you should try this game http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...king_game.html
Oh, well, since others are doing it, I guess that makes it A-OK.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I served 22 years in the Army and you must have had a sheltered career. My 2 years at NSA NOLA was a real eye opener as to how naughty sailers can be. Maybe this was before your time then? http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ok/invest.html
No, It's probably because I associate with people of a higher caliber than you do. Moreover, I wouldn't have tolerated that kind of crap amongst people under my command. That you apparently think it is acceptable say a lot about you.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by law dawg
No, they're more effective against a 9/11 type attack. They do nothing against a traditional hijacking.
FAMs are next to useless against an IED but can be very effective against hijackings. [/quote]

And how many "traditional" hijackings occur each year? Training and maintaining a corps of FAMs can't be cheap, and when the threat they are most effective against is low, it is a horrible misuse of experienced personnel.

Why is the FFDO program effective in your mind and the FAM one ineffective?
Because we need pilots on an aircraft. FAMs just take up revenue producing seats. Arm enough pilots (or more) so that you have the same or better coverage as with FAMs, and you've enacted a security layer that is both effective and economical.

Ha! Political suicide.
Probably, but the lack of honesty amongst the politicians we pay to lead us is disgusting.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, they're more effective against a 9/11 type attack. They do nothing against a traditional hijacking.

FAMs are next to useless against an IED but can be very effective against hijackings.

Why is the FFDO program effective in your mind and the FAM one ineffective?

Ha! Political suicide.

See above.
Not Hals120 but the way I see it no one can hijack an aircraft unless they gain access to the flight deck.

If the pilots are armed that access will likely be unsuccessful.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
FAMs are next to useless against an IED but can be very effective against hijackings.
Halls made some good points that I agree with, so I'll let his points stand so I don't have to waste the time of repeating him.

But this was my friend's point - that the FAMs would be able to do something against an underwear bomber.

For the most part, they sit watching the cockpit door to deal with an attempted hijacking attempt. All well and good, but they're likely not going to see someone trying to detonate a bomb (either in front of them or behind them) unless they're sitting right next to the person. In that case, you're entirely relying on the pax around the would-be-bomber to do something to try to thwart the attack. Fortunately, people do in those situations.

He was worried to the point that he would be willing to divide up his family (2 parents, 4 kids) across 2 flights to ensure that if something were to happen that his entire family wouldn't be wiped out. I asked him why then he had no problem taking his whole family in the family minivan where they were much more likely to be killed. Pretty much what it boiled down to was the "control" issue. The feeling of control in the car vs. the feeling of lack of control in the plane. Of course, that doesn't account for his wife and kids not having any control in the car too, nor does it account that an accident can be caused by some idiot completely out of his control too.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:50 pm

No, It's probably because I associate with people of a higher caliber than you do. Moreover, I wouldn't have tolerated that kind of crap amongst people under my command. That you apparently think it is acceptable say a lot about you.
So you were an officer? Wasnt the Tailhook incident officers? Your guilty by association.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
So you were an officer? Wasnt the Tailhook incident officers? Your guilty by association.
Is that the awesome BDO training kicking in?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:25 pm

Do you really want to go there?

As a result of Tailhook, fourteen admirals, and almost 300 naval aviators, either had their careers ended or permanently damaged --- many publicly. What kind of accountability will those involved with this incident experience?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:02 pm

LOL, nice try dude. You still haven't refuted the idea that you actually support these morons, so I guess that makes you just as guilty by association, right?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:44 pm

And how many "traditional" hijackings occur each year? Training and maintaining a corps of FAMs can't be cheap, and when the threat they are most effective against is low, it is a horrible misuse of experienced personnel.
How many school fires happen a year? And yet we still train students and teachers and the like for them. Are they wastes of time and money? Same principle.

Because we need pilots on an aircraft. FAMs just take up revenue producing seats. Arm enough pilots (or more) so that you have the same or better coverage as with FAMs, and you've enacted a security layer that is both effective and economical.
Two problems, IMO-
1)International flights. FFDOs can't cover them
2)FFDOs are of no benefit in a non-9/11 type hijacking.

Probably, but the lack of honesty amongst the politicians we pay to lead us is disgusting.
With this, I can find no argument.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:06 pm

How many school fires happen a year? And yet we still train students and teachers and the like for them. Are they wastes of time and money? Same principle.
How would a FAM have stopped the DL bomber if the FAM wasn't sitting in the same row as the bomber? Answer - he/she wouldn't have been able to.

How many flights inbound to the US have been "traditionally" hijacked over the past 10 years? Deploying FAM's to stop this threat is like having a fire station every two or three blocks.

Two problems, IMO-
1)International flights. FFDOs can't cover them
2)FFDOs are of no benefit in a non-9/11 type hijacking.
You are correct on #1, which should be remedied, and as for #2, how can a non-9/11 hijacking take place without taking control of the cockpit?

Last edited by halls120; Jan 31, 2010 at 4:40 pm
Old Jan 31, 2010, 4:21 pm

How would a FAM have stopped the DL bomber if the FAM wasn't sitting in the same row as the bomber? Answer - he/she wouldn't have been able to.
I'm on record saying FAMs aren't of much use in a IED incident except for cleaning up after the fact. Or the bomber uses the bomb as a threat device or they draw attention to themselves prior to activation. But if they just sit there are go off? No one is of much use there.

How many flights inbound to the US have been "traditionally" hijacked over the past 10 years? Deploying FAM's to stop this threat is like having a fire station every two or three blocks.
True, although worldwide there have been several.

You are correct on #1, which should be remedied, and as for #2, how can a non-9/11 hijacking take place without taking control of the cockpit?
#1 can't be remedied. That's the decision of the host country. It's been broached. They said no.
#2-As was done prior to 9/11. Do it on the ground, prior to takeoff.

Anyway, this horse has been beyond beaten to death over the years. I'll cede the floor and get it back to the OP.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset

TSA probing harassment allegations

WashingtonPost.com, 7-7-10

Homeland Security Department investigators plan to visit Transportation Security Administration workers in Orlando and Tampa next week as part of an ongoing investigation into allegations of harassment against gay, lesbian and African American workers there, according to e-mails obtained by The Federal Eye.

The department's Office of Inspector General launched an investigation shortly after CNN reported in January about managers at the Orlando field office of the Federal Air Marshals Service who used a crew assignment board resembling the "Jeopardy!" game show to ridicule and keep score on women, gays and minorities.

But lawmakers have heard little about the investigation since January, according to Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.).

"Several credible sources with direct, firsthand evidence into this matter recently contacted my staff," Issa wrote last week in a letter to DHS Inspector General Richard L. Skinner. "They expressed serious concerns about the sufficiency and expediency of [the Transportation Security Administration's Office of Inspection] investigation. In particular, these witnesses have advised they have not been contacted by OI or by your office. This is puzzling."
Old Jul 7, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
They're worried about harassment of workers by workers, but not worried about harassment of passengers by workers.

Some animals are more equal than others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.