Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Federal Agents seize travel bloggers computer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by BillScann
Agreed. I've edited my posts so as to characterize the actions themselves as stupid, rather than the individual.
^ thanks
Old Dec 31, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Update from Associated Press: TSA extends response deadline for blogger
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker
Update from Associated Press: TSA extends response deadline for blogger
Someone blinked.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Disgusting actions by the government.

Seizing computers from persons who are not likely to be prosecuted and convicted for any violation of federal law on their part to-date is the kind of intimidation tactics used by tinpot dictatorships and autocratic regimes around the world.

Zimbabwe is notorious for this kind of behavior and we criticize it, but here is our government now doing the same thing?
Should the name be changed to Department of Fatherland Security?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
Someone blinked.
Someone didn't invite cops into their home for a two hour chat before loaning them their laptop. Someone defended the Constitution. Someone acted like my kind of reporter.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Should the name be changed to Department of Fatherland Security?
I think the Department of Homerland Security has a better ring.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:41 pm

^^ Anything for a beer.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Yup, plus it should be abbreviated as DOHS...
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by BillScann
Someone didn't invite cops into their home for a two hour chat before loaning them their laptop. Someone defended the Constitution. Someone acted like my kind of reporter.
Kudos to Elliot but I'm not going to pass judgement on Fish. He had two armed Federal "Special" Agents at his doorstep with "legal paperz" while he held his young baby and his other kids were at home.

I won't hold his loaning his laptops to the Feds against him.

It sure is easy for everybody else to be so brave hiding behind their keyboards and screens.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by AArlington
Kudos to Elliot but I'm not going to pass judgement on Fish. He had two armed Federal "Special" Agents at his doorstep with "legal paperz" while he held his young baby and his other kids were at home.

I won't hold his loaning his laptops to the Feds against him.

It sure is easy for everybody else to be so brave hiding behind their keyboards and screens.
He also said there was nothing on the laptop pertaining to the document.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
I was just called buy TSA's Deputy Chief Counsel for Enforcement telling me that the TSA is dropping any and all investigation of how I received the Security Directive.

The TSA had my laptop, there was no data of interest to them on the laptop, I knew that. I am not discussing where they indicated they'd be looking for that data next. If they went that next step a challenge would have ensued.

The TSA has also dropped its subpoena with Chris Elliot.

We are both free and clear as of right now.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sefrischling
I was just called buy TSA's Deputy Chief Counsel for Enforcement telling me that the TSA is dropping any and all investigation of how I received the Security Directive.

The TSA had my laptop, there was no data of interest to them on the laptop, I knew that. I am not discussing where they indicated they'd be looking for that data next. If they went that next step a challenge would have ensued.

Steve,

Glad to hear that at least some semblance of sanity returned to somebody's mind at TSA.

Personally, I would still completely re-image that laptop.

Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:30 pm

Congratulations! This Dalid/Goliath story had a happy ending (sort of). Looks like TSA was shamed into submission. God bless mass communication! And may God Bless the United States of America (because we sure need it!).
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:30 pm

Congratulations, and hopefully this type of threat will not happen to others in the blogging community. ^
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
That is great news!

Have a happy New Year ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.