Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Laptops through Security screening.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Two Laptops through Security screening.

Has anyone had any success/issues with attempting to pass two (or more) laptops during security? Is there any TSA regulations on how many laptops a person can bring through security at once?

The situation is that I want bring my work laptop and a netbook (which is a gift) from SEA-DFW this week.

Any comments are welcome.

Safe travels!

PR.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the gift computer is still in a box, you'll have to take it out of the box to address the TSA's x-ray equipment shortcomings.

You'll be fine, just put them in two separate bins.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
I regularly take 2 laptops, and have on occasion taken 3. Aside from being back-breakingly heavy, there is no problem.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by scolbath
I regularly take 2 laptops, and have on occasion taken 3. Aside from being back-breakingly heavy, there is no problem.
+1
Usually a Mac and a PC. No worries. Safe travels.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
One per tray, nothing else in the tray, and you'll have conformed to the Communist Party's rules on laptops.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
One per tray, nothing else in the tray, and you'll have conformed to the Communist Party's rules on laptops.
The "party" seems to allow protective sleeves in the tray which contains said laptop.

I always keep my laptop in a protective sleeve that zips up, never once have I had a problem with the TSA here in the US, or screening overseas at numerous airports.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I've had the occasional idiot behind me think that I was trying to steal someone else's laptop... My response is always "work laptop, personal laptop".

HTSC
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by private ryan
"Has anyone had any success/issues with attempting to pass two (or more) laptops during security? Is there any TSA regulations on how many laptops a person can bring through security at once?

The situation is that I want bring my work laptop and a netbook (which is a gift) from SEA-DFW this week.

Any comments are welcome.

Safe travels!

PR."
At MKE, I've seen a guy bring through 6 laptops, with like 4 other bags, for a total of 10 items. Had to see that one to believe it.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
I've had the occasional idiot behind me think that I was trying to steal someone else's laptop... My response is always "work laptop, personal laptop".

HTSC
Seems like the TSA is damned if they do, damned if they don't when it comes to making sure the pax that placed the laptop ito the X-ray is the one who collects it. However, the problem is easily solved.

I hope there are TSO's reading this:

BLR handles lap top theft prevention right: every tray has a unique number, and the pax is handed a tag with that number. When the pax emerges from the WTMD, he hands his tag to the screener, who matches that number with the tray.

If carrying multiple laptops, I suggest putting a common label on them, such as a business card taped to the top. If concerns about ID theft are an issue, use a sharpie to blot out everything but the first name and company logo. That way if one is challenged during collection, one can point to the common label.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 4:04 am

Both my husband and I regularly take two laptops each on both international and domestic flights - we both have Macbook Pros and Netbooks, and on our last flight purchased a MacMini that we also had in carry-on for the TATL trip from the U.S. (so 5 computers between the two of us). No problem.

Susan
Old Dec 24, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
have had no problems flying with a Mac and PC laptop.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Spiff
Labeling the TSA as Communists is absolutely and completely uncalled for. The organization bears a much stronger resemblance to Fascism.

Mike
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: Mariott Plat, *wood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
aside from being heavy as hell as mentioned above no issues.

no need for even 1 per tray rule. As long as nothing is obstructing the view of the laptop throught the x-ray machine you will be fine.

I have had my ziplock and a laptop in one tray and my shoes and another laptop in another tray.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I've been doing it for a year with no issues (except the one TSA screener at IAD that thought I was repacking my two laptops into by shoulder bag too slowly).
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just adding one more voice: I've frequently traveled with two laptops (plus a portable printer). No problem at all, except for trying to juggle all those bins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.