Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Asking For Orange Juice On American Airlines May Violate Federal Law

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asking For Orange Juice On American Airlines May Violate Federal Law

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:46 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Right, and it is no secret to Helen's co-workers and AA management. Yet Helen continues with her antics because they cannot or will not do something about it.

So the question remains -- what happens the next time Helen flies off the handle and accuses a passenger of interfering with or attacking her, but no witnesses are willing to come forth to defend the passenger? It is her word against his, and the consequences could be ugly for the "juiced up" passenger.
From the info in this thread, it appears that Helen's behavior is "well known" to aa, so her accusation against a pax (even without witnesses) would not be taken as creditable. [The "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.]
Old Dec 26, 2009, 4:28 pm

Hi everyone!
I've been following this thread initially when the news broke.
I was wondering if someone could bring me upto speed on what has happened since.
Has AA hauled up that air hostess for her behavior? Has anyone issued an apology?
Has any legal action been taken against the airline or the hostess?

Regards
Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
Whoa, this woman is so volatile. I am sure that AA has had complaints against her before, why hasn't she been fired?
Becasue this FA is a union member. Th first thing that will have to happen is that she will be guaranteed hearing after hearing after hearing after hearing, with more hearings to determing of the hearings were fair and then there will be hearings about the hearings' hearings and hearings will be held about those.

If she does get canned, which is what should happen if the OP's account is even close to true, it will be years down the road after she has enjoyed an equal amount of time either working or getting paid not to work.

--PP

Originally Posted by ajax
I personally would find it amazing that someone can be so thick as to have her job rescued for her by a union despite her bad behaviour, then to risk it again with the same bad behaviour. Crazy.
Becasue the union will save her miserable keister again. Unions seem to excel at defending the lazy, incompetent, employer haters the best. But if you were still wondering, ask yourself this painfully simple question: What possible good can come from an organization where seniority is supreme above all else, and certainly more important than competence, productivity or efficacy?

--PP

Originally Posted by ryan182
Its about time that serious consequences be dealt out to employees that abuse the system. I don't see the laws changing anytime soon, and one could make an argument that there needs to be significant penalties for people who really do misbehave (ie assaulting a crew member) given the limited options while in the air but the unintended consequences of these laws has been to give some people serious power trips. IMO employees that file false complaints or frivolously report passengers to the feds should be locked up and fined heavily in addition to being canned, the penalties for them should be no less if not greater than what a member of the flying public should face.
This will never happen. The unions will gerieve this as "an unnegotiated change in working conditions" and the government will spend out taxpayer money adjudicating it.

--PP

Originally Posted by Ari
Emphasis on the "P".

Does the APFA ever kick members out who don't reflect well on the union?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Dude, seriously, I just spit diet coke all over my keyboard....

This imbecilic FA not only pays dues but undoubtedly has a lot of money tied up in retirement which the union will NOT want to be getting rid of. Please remember that unions are about two things: MONEY and POWER. Anything that would lose them either one--like launching a disgraceful member--will just not happen.

--PP

Last edited by Cholula; Dec 27, 2009 at 7:09 am Reason: Merging multiple, successive posts
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
From the info in this thread, it appears that Helen's behavior is "well known" to aa, so her accusation against a pax (even without witnesses) would not be taken as creditable. [The "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.]
Tell that to the passenger who was accused of interfering with a crew member. Helen had clearly done this before yet the passenger was held and questioned at the gate and allowed to go only because witnesses substantiated his story that he had only asked for orange juice.

If Helen's behavior is well known to AA, why did the pilot radio ahead so the plane would be met by "authorities?" And if the "incident" had happened after Dec 25th, goodness knows what the passenger's fate would be. Right now he is worried that he may be on a black list or even a no-fly list.

No, I think Helen's capacity to wreak havoc with innocent passengers is undiminished, largely due to AA's management, the FA's union, and Helen herself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.