Search

Does cash show up on the machines?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Does cash show up on the machines?

I saw a headline where some guy got caught w/ 205million$. Didn't read the article to find out how he got caught, but it made me think - does cash show up when suitcase etc is put through the machine? I'm assuming most folk aren't trying to carry a lot of cash through the machine to begin w/, much less 205million$, but it did make me think. Does cash show up at all, or does it have to be so massive like 205? Note - I barely have $$ in my checking account, so I'm not asking as a money launderer Anyway, just curious...

Cheers.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Since I have none can't answer the question

PS:
Not to worry, Ron will be along soon lol

Last edited by coachrowsey; Oct 25, 2009 at 7:37 pm Reason: Add last line
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:02 pm

I'm headed somewhere later this week. Let me put $205M in my bag and I'll let you know what happens.

Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:40 pm

A single bill will not show up. A stack will, although you can not say it is money, probably assume it is a note book or something along those lines.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I saw a headline where some guy got caught w/ 205million$. Didn't read the article to find out how he got caught, but it made me think - does cash show up when suitcase etc is put through the machine? I'm assuming most folk aren't trying to carry a lot of cash through the machine to begin w/, much less 205million$, but it did make me think. Does cash show up at all, or does it have to be so massive like 205? Note - I barely have $$ in my checking account, so I'm not asking as a money launderer Anyway, just curious...

Cheers.
What currency? The $100 bill is the largest U.S. bill currently in circulation and to make up 205 million would be quite some pile of cash. The mass would probably show up on an xray.

Of course I guess someone could have had some of the very large notes that use to circulate stashed away and I believe they would still be redeemable.

Now if we're talking some other currency then we need to know the size of the notes.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:57 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
It was loot a Chinese drug lord type left in Mexico when the police were on to him. Lots and lots of cash and the police found it hidden all over the house.

Link to photos.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
It was loot a Chinese drug lord type left in Mexico when the police were on to him. Lots and lots of cash and the police found it hidden all over the house.

Link to photos.
WOW!

322 suitcases come to mind?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
WOW!

322 suitcases come to mind?
Nah, one million in $100 bills is only about 10Kg. Two million per bag and you still get in under 45lbs, but just barely.

Link.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Since I have none can't answer the question

PS:
Not to worry, Ron will be along soon lol
You didn't mention me!!

Most cash will not show up on x-Ray, unless it's thick heavy stacks, but it would look like anything else that's paper, such as books, magazines, note books, etc.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO
You didn't mention me!!

Most cash will not show up on x-Ray, unless it's thick heavy stacks, but it would look like anything else that's paper, such as books, magazines, note books, etc.
Unlike some of your cow orkers, you display some common sense and rational thought processes.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:06 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold

Link to photos.
Wow! that is an interesting way to furnish a house.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Unlike some of your cow orkers, you display some common sense and rational thought processes.
Even though I've given him some grief I agree 100%
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've been in a vault with over 20 million before, but it was mostly 50's and 20's. I wish someone would misdeliver a bag stuffed with 100's to me. Early retirement!
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Even though I've given him some grief I agree 100%
Ok, I'm blushing...
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
theres a reasonable chance that coins will show....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.