Any good cellular modems for lap tops?

Old Apr 7, 05, 8:56 pm
RCC
Original Poster

Any good cellular modems for lap tops?

Does anyone use/know of any good cellular based modems for lap tops? When I travel & sit at airports I cannnot use my internet, would be great if I could.

Ric
Old Apr 8, 05, 9:34 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by RCC
Does anyone use/know of any good cellular based modems for lap tops? When I travel & sit at airports I cannnot use my internet, would be great if I could.

Ric
Have you considered using your cell phone? A separate card usually requires a seperate account with additional monthly charges... OK of you spend ALOT of time at the airport.

I use my GSM/GPRS phone and connect to my laptop. My old phone used either IR or a cable - now I have Bluetooth.

It's not fast, but it works well enough to get me on my company's VPN.
Old Apr 8, 05, 7:29 pm
RCC
Original Poster

thanks for your thoughts.

I will reply if/when I make a desision.

Ric
Old Jul 21, 05, 10:47 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
If you have sprint or tmobile you can easily add on data to your account for a low price (approx $10-20) and either connect by cable (sprint) or a pc card (tmobile).
i've used both in many airports.
Old Jul 22, 05, 9:37 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by RLG
If you have sprint or tmobile you can easily add on data to your account for a low price (approx $10-20) and either connect by cable (sprint) or a pc card (tmobile).
i've used both in many airports.
You can also use a cable or Bluetooth for T-Mobile ($20/mo unlimited usage) (have no idea about Sprint).
Old Aug 2, 05, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, Valencia VVIP, Hertz President Cirle
I've used Sprint 1xRTT for 2.5 years, anywhere you have Sprint coverage, you have the avg 50-70k. Sometimes this goes to 10-30k, but often it's 100k+. EVDO is coming for Sprint at far faster speeds, but in limited geographies. Verizon is way ahead with their EVDO roll-out.

Cingular has EDGE everywhere too, 100K+ avg. UMTS is in 6 cities now at 200-250K avg (384 top). GPRS is available for Cingular and T-Mobile, but that seems too slow for me and I've never bothered trying it.

It's a toss up though, Cingular will be consistent everywhere at 100K+ (and UMTS supports voice+data), Sprint/Verizon will be slower where they don't have EVDO. I don't know what I'll do personally, as I think I prefer 100K+ everywhere with EDGE versus 50-70K with EVDO at 200-2000K. Airports though should mostly be EVDO.
Old Nov 30, 05, 8:08 am

I use my tmobile BB with the unlimited data plan and it says its 115kb. Good enough for casual browsing.
Old Dec 21, 05, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by RCC

Ric
Im from Aus and frequently travel to the USA on business - on the last couple of occassions have rented a Verizon EVDO service. I found it very useful and consistently got speeds in excess of 400kbps. The company I used was www.wiredsky.com.au Not sure if they deliver in the USA though...
Old Jan 1, 06, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
The T Mobile Blackberry with the USB to a laptop, functions as a modem. No data plan needed. Search on google.com it is an easy setup, if your Blackberry manager software is running, you can add a standard modem on an additional COM port and it works fine...

I do this with mine.
Old Jan 2, 06, 7:20 pm

get on the verizonwireless network -- there 3G network will let you surf at high speeds. they sell PCMIA cards for about $50.00 that slip into your laptop much like a wireless card. you'll need to subscribe though...
Old Jan 2, 06, 7:21 pm

Yes, almost all airports now have Verizon EVDO -- so if you have a verizon phone with EVDO (LG VX 8800 or higher) you'll be able to surf the internet on your phone for $15.00 per month for unlimited usage -- you can also watch some video clips as well. good way to kill time while waiting for your flight.

Search this Thread