Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ok Long Distance confusion on PCS.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2001, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Ok Long Distance confusion on PCS.

Just signed up with Sprint PCS yesterday with 5000 WP miles.

The plan was a pretty good deal with $34.99 200/1800 minutes with no long distance.
I asked the rep if it is long distance for me if I call someone's Cell (not Sprint PCS) with a Dallas area code while that person is in New York, he told me no it is no long distance. Then today I asked the same question to a lady on the phone, and she said it is, but she said that it won't be long distance if I am in New York with that person.

Do y'all have any ideas as to what is long distance and what is not?

------------------
Al
Old Mar 4, 2001, 5:49 pm
Original Member

Over the past 4 years, I have worked in the data processing departments of two phone companies. I worked with the call detail records. It is my understanding the public service commission of each state regulates what constitutes a toll call. As far as I know, the NPA(area code) and NXX(prefix) of the originating number and the NPA and NXX of the calling number are solely what determines the call rate classification. Further, if the call is between two NPA's of different states, then the FCC has jurisdiction over the tolls. If my understanding is correct, regardless of which cell grid location a cellular phone is in, the billing rate should remain the same. If you need clarification of rates and tolls, contact your state's public service commission.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 3:09 pm

In case you want your answer in plain english...

The first rep is correct. The only thing that matters in determining whether the call is long distance is the area code that you are calling.

If you're calling a local area code, then the call is local, no where the other person happens to be.

Mac

------------------
Via con Dios!
Old Mar 5, 2001, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Aubie,
I am in the telecom industry as well, and my understanding is that as long as the areacodes are the local areacodes, the calls should be local.

However, Sprint PCS rep states that since the other PCS phone is using another PCS network say in New York, then even though the areacode might be a Dallas one, they still gonna hit you with LD charges.

But it is a whole different story if your cell phone is of any other provider. NOw why is this, is way beyond me.

------------------
Al
Old Mar 5, 2001, 3:29 pm

Al, I think it's worth whatever it costs (only $10 per month I think) to add long distance to your Sprint PCS.

That's one of the reasons I went with Sprint PCS. I didn't like calculating long distance, roaming, and which area code was what.

Mac

------------------
Via con Dios!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.