Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCI RATE INCREASE - NO NOTICE

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2000, 11:10 am

bdschobel:

That's called Slamming, and unfortunately, it is an all too common practice in the phone industry.

You are absolutely correct not to pay the phone bill for a company that has slammed you!

Mac

------------------
Via con Dios!
Old Sep 28, 2000, 6:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec Plat), United, Delta
Here's my two cents on this ridiculous scam.

When I received my 9/11 MCI bill, I discovered my rate had been upped to .09/min and my int'l plan increased by $1/month. In fact, the increase occurred effective 8/1 but I didn't catch it. There was no notice on any recent bill of a pending increase.

I called MCI and was told by the rep that in the state of California MCI in not required to notify me of an increase in advance. This made no sense - I asked if it would be legal for them to start charging me $5 a minute for my calls and not let me find out until the bill came. She didn't have an answer for that. I asked to speak to a supervisor, but none were available. She said she would schedule a call-back within 48 hours.

After about 40 hours, the call hadn't come, so I called MCI and got a rep who apologized and said that this increase was a billing mistake that happened with many (most?) MCI customers. He then spent 15 minutes on the phone with me, giving me .02/minute credit for all my calls since 8/1 ($19.56 worth), as well as reversing the $1/month increase.

I hung up, happy that one of the many stupid battles I've had with this disingenuous company had been won. Then I wondered why their computer couldn't automatically issue a credit to everyone that had been overcharged. Does it make sense to tie up the lines for 15 minutes at a time to credit each bill individually? Or are they hoping most people won't catch their "mistake" allowing them to be many two cents richer?

I will be filing a complaint with state and federal communications authorities - I hope others will too.
Old Oct 3, 2000, 7:38 pm
Original Member

Wow... that's the first (out of many many instances) I've heard of anyone every getting that kind of credit over the phone with MCI. Congratulations.
Old Oct 3, 2000, 8:04 pm

After MCI fully drops CO as a mileage partner (6-30-01), I am thinking of joining talk.com. They give out whatever you spend in gift certificates every month. If you spend $20 on LD, you get $20 in gift certs.

Anyone have any feedback on them?
Old Oct 4, 2000, 8:18 pm

Tute- I have been using them since April 2000. No problems. I use the gift certificate money at Giftcertificates.com for AA certificates and go through Greenpoints to purchase them. Ka-ching! Good mileage http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif "run" You get miles for just about everything in this plan, from charging the phone bill to your affinity card, to the purchase through Greenpoints, to using the AA certificates. As for quality, fine, notice no difference at all.
Old Oct 19, 2000, 3:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I just called MCI to complain about this. They couldn't care less; they wouldn't offer me a lower calling plan or refund the back charges, and didn't care that I planned to take my business elsewhere.

Hello AT&T. The California Public Utilities Commission and FCC will be hearing from me as well.
Old Oct 19, 2000, 5:39 pm

Thanx keithnj973! Will definitely do the switch now.
Old Oct 20, 2000, 10:15 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Just noticed the change myself. I have online billing, and the notice is very clear on my bill, so I can't complain about that. However, I don't like the price increase.

Can keithnj973 or someone familiar with TALK.COM email me with the details on how it works. Don't want to waste bandwidth here, and keithnj973 doesn't list an email address.

------------------
Bob
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.
Old Oct 24, 2000, 10:16 am

Just received a note from ClickRewards offering 3 miles/$ and $0.07/minute with MCI. Monthly fee is the same as my current fee. What do you think?

------------------
Bob
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.
Old Oct 25, 2000, 2:11 am

What's the monthly, Bob?
Old Oct 25, 2000, 2:36 pm

$3.95 less $1.00 for online billing. I average about 1000 minutes/month.

------------------
Bob
Old Oct 28, 2000, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Sir,

IMHO You'd be better of staying a million miles away from MCI. Its just not worth the hassle.

Originally posted by AZ_MISMAN:
$3.95 less $1.00 for online billing. I average about 1000 minutes/month.

Old Nov 1, 2000, 12:56 am

I'm with QuietLion...they are evil!

This week's experience with MCI (latest in the series):

Cancelled account in August. All bills had been automatically put on Amex.

Got letters starting in Sept. that outstanding balance was going to be sent to collections. Of course, I had no outstanding balance. Last bill, paid on Amex, $19.90 in August.

E-mailed customer service (I'm in Belgium now--USA account). Get reply that MCI charged me monthly service fee after account closed in error. Will correct.

Yesterday, get letter from collections agency about money owed MCI. E-mail them again. Get nasty response that this is money I owe them for August calls, and I should call customer service if I have a problem.

Call customer service immediately. Not open.

E-mail MCI again. Ask (1) why the amount I owe them is not the amount of my August invoice (the last one on the account, showing paid even on their website); (2) why the amount is the same as their monthly service charge; (3) why I can't get the same answer twice.

Response back this time is that I have a CREDIT balance...so sorry for any inconvenience.

Call customer service. Ask whether they will be straightening this out with credit bureaus. Snappish woman says "I told you we would send you a letter."

They could give me free long distance now, and I think I would stay away from them!!
Old Nov 1, 2000, 5:24 am
JRF
Original Poster

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
They have only gone down hill since Worldcom took them over. These mega mergers often hurt the consumer. What will UA and US be like if they merge? MCIWorldcom has also burned the bridge with me. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif
Old Nov 6, 2000, 1:35 pm
JRF
Original Poster

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Today in the post, MCI misses me, they want me back, they will give me 2000 DL FF miles I switch back.

Too little too late, have found cheaper service and I am not willing to pay the new rates just to get FF mileage. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.